A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 205
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 140446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ariethine
« Reply #380 on: January 29, 2010 01:48:22 PM »

Okay, I give. What is 'pants'? Huh

And I've spent quite a bit of money on new craft stuff this year. That make me a bad person? Seriously. If you're not spending money on it that you desperately need for food or bills or something, then you're not a bad person. Relax silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raslalique
« Reply #381 on: January 29, 2010 04:01:50 PM »

The green shirt looks great and I love the hair jewel. I am assuming the dread threads through the coil, and then you crimp it?

Yes it does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 29, 2010 07:38:56 PM »

In the USA: trousers of slacks
In the UK: underwear

When I lived in Glasgow I went to a party, came 'home', and told my Scots flatmate that there had been this gorgous male there, with long hair, a vest and suspenders....Her eyes opened wide and she said "They let him IN??"

Apparently I had just told her that the man was wearing a ladies tank top and garter belt!  Cheesy Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
heini
« Reply #383 on: January 29, 2010 11:46:19 PM »

Yesterday someone brought 2 big bags and about 5 boxes full of fabrics, because she had quit sewing. Everyone was allowed to take as much as they wanted, but I didn't take anything and I'm proud of myself. But I did find a small piece of gorgeous fabric my classmate had thrown to garbage bin (she's making a dress and threw the leftover scraps away) and took it. It was just a small piece, it's not that bad isn't it? In compensation, I have started a project that will need more fabric than the small gorgeous piece of fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2010 06:54:54 AM »

yeah but, as an adjective?  isn't it, like, "off" or goofy or not quite right? or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2010 09:34:12 AM »

.....I didn't take anything and I'm proud of myself. But I did find a small piece of gorgeous fabric my classmate had thrown to garbage bin (she's making a dress and threw the leftover scraps away) and took it. It was just a small piece, it's not that bad isn't it?

I'd say that you deserve double kudos: snaps for being wonderfully self-disciplined in the face of free fabrics galore, and then again for re/up-cycling matter that would otherwise have gone to the landfill!   Smiley

yeah but, as an adjective?  isn't it, like, "off" or goofy or not quite right? or what?

Hmmmm...this is one of those things I understand but find hard to explain...I should probably let the Brits here answer properly, but I'm going to give it a try just so they can biff me upside the head with the bits I get wrong.  Wink

SO: 'pants' as an adjective seems to be used when things go wrong in a basic, somewhat natural, slightly mindless, or goofy way -- ? A politician who is a general idiot might be described as 'pants', but a politician whose stupidity ruins people would not, unless one is being ironic and/or sarcastic.  A failed cake can be 'pants'; a fire in the kitchen is just bad.   Undecided ??  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 09:57:21 AM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
MiLady
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2010 02:42:34 PM »

Quote from:  pimpernel smith
Hmmmm...this is one of those things I understand but find hard to explain...I should probably let the Brits here answer properly, but I'm going to give it a try just so they can biff me upside the head with the bits I get wrong.  Wink

SO: 'pants' as an adjective seems to be used when things go wrong in a basic, somewhat natural, slightly mindless, or goofy way -- ? A politician who is a general idiot might be described as 'pants', but a politician whose stupidity ruins people would not, unless one is being ironic and/or sarcastic.  A failed cake can be 'pants'; a fire in the kitchen is just bad.   Undecided ??  Smiley

Pants are indeed undergarments (usually male undergarments, but its becoming more popular for girls to refer to their knickers as pants) and also an adjective. As an adjective pants basically means rubbish:
I feel totally pants
This dress looks pants (this probably a very confusing phrase for an American?!?!)
That game was pants!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 02:44:22 PM by MiLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2010 04:00:20 PM »

so "is pants" = "sucks"

without "is" it could be "lousy" or "like crap" or "piece of crap".

i like to think americans know what "rubbish" is(?) but we don't tend to say it unless we are trying to act british.

ah well back to de-stashing.  i can't say i have made anything out of my stash lately, well, though i have used some doll parts i had around for months for upgrading other dolls.  semi-craft-like... 
i have given a lot of stash to goodwill, though (surely that counts for something) even if i did get it from goodwill to begin with  Grin .  oh and i gave some to my inlaws, and am about to collect things together for 3 personal swaps of stash items.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 04:05:02 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
LaughingLark
« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2010 04:14:44 PM »

I think I have a de-stashing work in progress that is pants. Cheesy
I'm learning how to knit in the round, and this is my first project. Somehow I must have changed the direction of my knitting, because the stockinette switched sides after the first few rows. I can live with that, because it's a practice hat, and I will keep working on it to practice my decreases. The thing I don't like about it is the way the colors of the yarn are working up. I just can't get excited about the way the colors are coming together. I couldn't put a finger on it. It's just...pants.

I think I like the British term "pants", and I'll be using it more often.   Smiley

In America, knickers are trousers that are gathered right under the knee, like these:
http://www.wondercostumes.com/images/products/MA795350.jpg
I almost typed pants instead of trousers! Cheesy My mom made me a bunch of corduroy knickers...err..breeches to wear to school in 1970 or so, when they were briefly fashionable.

Maybe our term "crappy" is one of the American equivalents of "pants"?

Off I go to work on my pants hat some more! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2010 06:48:14 PM »

laughing_lark--congrats for learning to knit in the round...

have no idea what you did to get the stitches messed up...unless you reversed purl with knit one row  midstream and kept following the pattern all of the other rounds...

How large is your circle? (how many stitches did you cast on?)--I know that some of those types of yarns recommend so many inches for the color to pattern correctly..

I think it is going to be just fine as a practice hat...I sort of like the look of random stitched hats... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 205 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Film a Business Profile - Pre-Production (Pt. 1)
How to Draw Alfe from The Problem Solverz
How to Draw Blastus from Robotomy
How to Draw the Pirate Captain
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...