A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 194
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 201144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: June 15, 2010 03:17:04 AM »

These are fantastic!
Who do you make them for?
re your signature, I also have a stash that makes others feel better about there own, and hardly any sense of smell, which is kinda handy in the work I do, lol! ( you dont want to know)
S Grin

I make them for a charity in Hamilton, Ontario, the name of which I can never remember; they collect child-sized hats/scarves/mitts and distribute them to needy elementary aged kids.  So, I make them, give them to Mom, she takes them to the lady in her sorority that handles the charity stuff, that lady gives them to the charity,and the charity gives them to the kids.

Possibly not the most efficient system, but it works for us.  Grin

Wow, that's a metric ton of knitting!  How many skeins did that clear out?

Good question!  Each Melody hat takes about a skein (there's usually only a small amount left over... I've been using that little bit to make stripes in other hats).  The scarves take a little less than that, which leaves a slightly bigger amount to use for striping later.

The CotD hats take 2 skeins of Bernat Satin (usually with small amounts left over of each colour) and the scarf takes about 1 skein.

Ever since I had that brainstorm about making the Melody scarves with the Tunisian knit stitch, they've become so easy and quick to make that I can't keep up with the hat making!  Can you believe they only take about half an hour to make?  On a good day I can make one on my way in to work, 2 on my lunch break, and then one on the way home.  It takes me a couple of hours to make a hat!

Oh well, I'm sure it'll all even out in the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1121 on: June 15, 2010 06:50:44 AM »

fantasticmio, those hats and scarves are great! How do you do the Tunisian knit stitch for those? Is that the crochet hook that looks like a knitting needle on one end? I make charity hats also, but if I could learn to make scarves faster, I could make some of those as well. That looks like it would be faster than my knitting boards. I like the double knit thickness I get from those, but It's not fast enough for making things in volume. I could more easily take those kind of projects along with me to work on in the van. My boards are clunky. Smiley

I just found this tutorial which looks like a great way to de-stash the rest of my Sugar N Cream. I overbought when I first learned to crochet a few months ago. I definitely have all the wash/dishcloths I need now. I could use a few of these for my kitchen, and then I can give these away at Christmas:
Magic Potholders youtube tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1122 on: June 15, 2010 07:41:59 AM »

fantasticmio, those hats and scarves are great! How do you do the Tunisian knit stitch for those? Is that the crochet hook that looks like a knitting needle on one end? I make charity hats also, but if I could learn to make scarves faster, I could make some of those as well. That looks like it would be faster than my knitting boards. I like the double knit thickness I get from those, but It's not fast enough for making things in volume. I could more easily take those kind of projects along with me to work on in the van. My boards are clunky. Smiley

I make the hats on a Knifty Knitter loom.  We bought the Patons Melody yarn specifically because it was thick enough for the gauge on the round looms.  I agree that they are awfully clunky to be carrying around; that's why my hat count is so much lower than my scarf count!  Cheesy

The Tunisian scarf idea came to me in the middle of the night (I actually got out of bed right then and there to see if it would work) and I'm glad it did, because making the scarves on the round loom was such a pain compared to the hats.

Tunisian hooks *are* the ones that look like knitting needles, yes.  They are long and have a stopper for the same reason  knitting needles do: to hold a lot of loops and keep them from sliding off the end.

I wouldn't say that doing the scarves in Tunisian is the reason they're working up so fast, though.  It's because the yarn is so thick.  The yarn calls for a 10mm hook.  Tunisian crochet creates a thicker fabric than regular crochet, so, for the best results you should go up a size or two for your hook.  Tunisian knit stitch is even thicker than the simple stitch, and so it sometimes helps to go up even more hook sizes.  I'm using a 15mm hook for the scarves, and because the yarn is so thick, the scarves are only 7 stitches wide.  That's why they work up so fast! 

I'm using the Tunisian Knit Stitch specifically because the resulting fabric closely resembles what I'm getting for the hats on the loom.

If I was trying to make a scarf quickly using regular crochet, I'd probably go for dc stitches, and maybe even double-strand the yarn .  It really depends on the yarn, whether or not that's advisable!

Another scarf idea, that's excellent if your edges aren't the straightest, or you have a lot of scraps and don't like weaving in ends, is to work the scarf long-ways, in a small stitch (slst or sc work well), change colours each row, and leave long tails at each end to serve as fringe.  If you use a bigger stitch, or if your fringe looks a bit wimpy, you can add more yarn to them.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet
« Reply #1123 on: June 15, 2010 05:21:30 PM »

Working on using up a remnant of beige fabric for a Father's day present, then a chunk of brown for a cushion cover for the R.V, then some elastic for the R.V seat covers, that's today's list, not much, but it needs to be done for Sunday (well really for Saturday so I'm not wrapping last minute, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for 100% Cotton scraps.  Miss G wants to make a scrap quilt for as little $ as possible, so if you have something that she could use, please pm me.
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2010 06:38:12 AM »

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is too simple to even count as a craft but it used up stash so here it is:

One magnetic board thing my mother gave me that I think it meant for photos and strip magnets that I got when DH's grandmother passed away that may be older than I am. They were supposed to be the ones with sticky stuff on the backside but it literally fell off when I opened the package.

All this equals one much needed knitting chart reader.

Like I said, I'm not sure it even counts as a craft but hey, I used up stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2010 12:35:09 PM »

guineverefree - if you've got any ribbon in your stash you could glue some on the magnets for added cuteness.  I need to make myself something similar, as my post-it notes are always falling off in my knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14
Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1126 on: June 16, 2010 05:29:14 PM »

I am destashing some jewelry chain, beads, papers and a few other things in a swap I'm in (not on here). So that's a few things down. Also, I'm sending off some fabric to another person here too so that may clean another bin out for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: June 17, 2010 09:51:05 AM »

Gaudiknight - I was actually thinking about that very thing this morning.

Haven't done anything yet but I might make it cuter. Right now it's functional so it's good enough until I find time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet
« Reply #1128 on: June 18, 2010 02:36:23 PM »

my niece destashed about 8 pieces of cardstock yesterday- we cut out all sorts of animals on the Cricut for her:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for 100% Cotton scraps.  Miss G wants to make a scrap quilt for as little $ as possible, so if you have something that she could use, please pm me.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: June 18, 2010 03:11:45 PM »

I went to Mary Maxim today to pick up one ball of yarn and I managed to walk out with only 2 extra balls of yarn!  What makes it even more impressive is that those 2 balls were of a type that is cheaper if you buy 8 or more at a time.  Actually, they had quite a few nice looking yarns on clearance, and I avoided them, too.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 194 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Create Your Own Film Script
Harry Potter Opening Night: How to Relive Hogwarts After Dark
A Guide to Getting into Hogwarts
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...