A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweater Brobee  (Read 897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fuzzington
Who knew pipe cleaners could be so cute?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2009 01:09:05 PM »

For those of you who have young children, the name "Yo Gabba Gabba" may be a common part of your household vocabulary. I know it is with my brother-in-law and his wife. Their son LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba. His favorite character is Brobee. Brobee is this green striped creature that reminds me a lot of that old McDonald's character Grimace (old skool). For Christmas, I decided to make him a handmade Brobee toy of some type.

My original plan was to make him a Brobee sock toy, since Brobee could easily be made in the same fashion as a sock monkey. But it was virtually impossible to find green/lime green striped socks! I looked online, at Walmart, and Target! No luck. Then I tried to find striped fabric at JoAnns... no such luck (out of the thousands of patterns they have there). So finally I tried Ross, thinking maybe there was something I could use from the kids section. Again no luck.

So I gave up and decided to go shopping for myself. I went to the Juniors section to find a sweater for myself, and lo an behold, what did I find? THIS SWEATER!

It was PERFECT! The right color, and it came with a scarf!! All for $6.99! There were only two on the rack and I bought both of them up. I used one sweater for Brobee's body, and the sleeves from the second sweater for the legs. I also got a green microfiber towel to make his head.

Here are the pictures I took throughout the process:

Being that I'm not the best at sewing, I learned a few things along the way and had to redo the stitching of the arms and legs to the body, but it looked pretty good in the end.

On Christmas, my nephew was one happy boy. His first remarks about his gift were, "Brobee is BIG!"
All the time and hard work I put into it definitely paid off!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010 12:49:19 AM by fuzzington » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009 01:54:57 PM »

My two year old niece just walked up to the computer, pointed at the last pic of you and said, "Gabba!"  lol.  That's about the only word she says really clearly, and she ONLY says it at either the show itself or the figurines in the store, so congrats for making a recognizable Yo Gabba Gabba guy!  Wink 

Score on the sweater fabric as well, it is so hard to find exactly what you're looking for so congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
lolaforpresident
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009 03:26:05 PM »

You are the best aunt ever. I saw the shirt on the thumbnail and thought it was steves green striped shirt from blues clues. Seems to be a popular color scheme for childrens tv shows. But apparently not so popular for fabric. Lol. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fuzzington
Who knew pipe cleaners could be so cute?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010 12:50:05 AM »

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping he won't outgrow it too soon! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating New Layer and Workspace Shortcuts
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating and Modifying Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Showing/Hiding Palettes with Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting Palette Options and Sliding Palettes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Grouping Palettes into Clusters
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...