A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Expanding a baby blanket  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamma3monkeys
« on: December 31, 2009 01:03:50 PM »

I am looking for a stitch or pattern to add to a baby blanket.

I am knitting a baby blanket that is going to be too small and I don't want to start all over (but I will if I can't come to a happy conclusion) and although the pattern got great ratings, it was too late for me when I actually read the reviews and how small it is. I did notice it when I began and added a bit more - but not enough it seems. (It's my first knit project and I still remain hopeful it will be a bit bigger after blocking it?) so I read about combining a crochet with knit and I am baffled as to how to do this harmoniously. The blanket has a pattern all around the edges so it will need to either blend, improve, or compliment what it already has. But I feel it's too much to ask.

Here is the blanket:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90277AD.html?noImages=

I was going to also post this in the knitting section just to see if anyone knows if I can pick it back up along the sides and somehow continue that way but I have never heard of anyone doing that before and I fear its impossible or too hard for me to do. I am up for a challenge but I need this done pretty soon and time is running out. So if anyone can recommend a stitch pattern for the edges I'd be ever so grateful!

I have my hands full so I'm kinda burning ALL my candles at once ATM so if I can get some possible answers ASAP, I'd feel like one less thing to worry about... This blanket would be sitting in waiting if it weren't for the fact that it helps me to relax and keep my mind off of things when I have to take care of my kids and I can't be working on the cake, baby shower, or tending to my sister (with polyhydramnios and possible pre-e).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 01:37:27 PM by mamma3monkeys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bella_domanie
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009 04:03:36 PM »

I don't know how well you can crochet so it's kind of hard to just give a 'quick fix' kind of answer.  But, there are a lot of edging here:
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/edgings.php

And here (these are more decorative): http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_collar_edging01.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamma3monkeys
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009 04:32:20 PM »

Bella: thanks for reminding me! I crochet very well. I'm certainly not an expert but I'm not a beginner either. I've been doing it for years, learning many stitches but not thoroughly. However, being foiled too many times by not quite understanding the turning chain I had thusly mostly stopped crocheting for almost 2 years now - turning to knitting instead. But I came across a very well explained tutorial on turning chains from crochetme.com's blogger kim werker and am back for more. Smiley

I'll look into those sites and try out a few. Thank you! if you know of any specifically that may work, please let me know!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 04:34:04 PM by mamma3monkeys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carrot1971
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 12:18:46 PM »

Don't forget to post pics when you are done.  I'd love to see the finished product!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamma3monkeys
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010 05:16:16 PM »

Okay, So I just finished binding off and it's like 26" by 26" I was going to add more but then I realized that after I did two finishing rows in the edging pattern. I don't know how to frog that well and I was eager to move on to crocheting it instead of knitting. *phew!* I don't know if I should block it or not, but anyways - I loved the edging but I have a bit more to add then that, so that will come next. I guess I'll try to look into my old pattern books and magazines until I find something I like. If anyone else has ideas, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamma3monkeys
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010 10:31:11 AM »

well I just ripped out all I did last night on the crocheting front. I had noticed a ripple effect on the corners and it just kept getting worse so I figured I must have not counted out the stitches on all the sides evenly. This goes to show you shouldn't make rash decisions like I did last night because as I awoke, I realized that I could have COUNTED out what I had on each side FIRST to see if that was even the issue. So well, now I'm going to have to do that. It's okay though, I was wanting to rip it down because the bind off I did was tight and was like having a row of slip stitch in among double crochets! Irritatingly tight when the rest wasn't. Not like my sister would have noticed.... it would have eternally bugged me though. I hate my perfectionist streak.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamma3monkeys
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010 11:53:53 AM »

it's all about the corners. I just can't figure it out. I don't want a granny square looking corner because we are trying to avoid any holes the size baby fingers can fit through and get stuck in. So i'm expanding on one side then the other and it's very similar to the basket wave, just on a larger one strip scale, if that makes sense.

What makes me want to fume a bit is that they just posted a similar blanket that is much bigger (using cotton-ease yarn) and I want to smack whoever posted the one I used! I know I could have expanded it by adding more squares and more rows, but it's my first knit blanket and I was unsure and not confident in what I know enough to have made it work regardless. I've knit scarves before but not more then what I can count on one hand. Which is why my go to fix-all was crocheting. It's working out ok. I'll post a picture when I'm done (tomorrow probably).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamma3monkeys
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010 02:03:12 AM »

I finished the blanket several weeks ago but have since been sick twice with a flu. As well as taking care of sickie babies (twice too!)... But there it is being blocked for the pattern's sake, and the edging I ended up doing. I think it was a half double crochet in 10's starting in one side of length and just going back and forth for about 2 inches, then turning and continuing the pattern for 2 inches on each side and then repeating. I'm not sure how long it ended up being, but it's definitely not square, lol.  It definitely doesn't have any edge holes and the stitch I chose made it thick enough to hold up to the knitting part of the pattern. I'm not estatic about the way it looks as much as i am relieved I'm done.

I really wanted to make this something I'd be proud of, but being left with that feeling of relief that it's out of my hair - makes me sad. Sad
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010 02:06:57 AM by mamma3monkeys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010 11:49:36 PM »

Yes, you will proud of this. Being sickie and taking care with a sickie babies is not easy. But still you made it great. applause to your dedication.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind The Scenes With Courtney Love
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...