A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,397
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calligraphy piece (image heavy)  (Read 1161 times)
Tags for this thread: calligraphy , coded_language  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2009 10:25:25 AM »

Hey all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but I would like to share some of my calligraphy work with you.
 I'm a big drum 'n' bass fan (I like a lot of different types of music, the d'n'b is just part of it). One day a friend of mine played "Coded Language" by DJ Krust (with spoken word from Saul Williams) and I was instantly mesmerised. As I sat there listening to this track, I made myself promise to do a huge challenge and do a calligraphy piece on the entire spoken words.
 I knew it wouldn't be easy so I didn't set a deadline for myself, nor did I count the amount of hours that I put it into it. With much stopping and starting, it took me 9 months to do it all, given that each session was roughly 2-3 hours long.
 The main reason why it took so long to do was that I kept running out of ink in my pens so I would have to redo each letter two or three times to get all of the lettering even. That and the fact that the pages are A2 sizes, 7 pages in all. I must have gone through at least 6 black pens, 1 entire eraser and several gallons of tea Smiley

Without further ado, here's my calligraphy piece:

Page 1:

Close up of the title:

I used Irish Sign Language here, as I'm Irish and partially deaf.

Page 2:

Page 3:

The silver lettering isn't very clear here but the last line is supposed to be "Thus, In The Name Of:"

Page 4:

Page 5:

Page 6:

Page 7:

If you would like to see them in bigger sizes, pics are available on my Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photographerpandora/sets/72157608940311429/

And for any drum 'n' bass fans out there, this video is for you!
DJ Krust & Saul Williams - "Coded Langauge"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerpGwbLSM8

Let me know what you think, I'd be grateful for any C&C!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
Coma
Magic Finding-Lady

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009 10:44:21 AM »

This is great! I do calligraphy too so I know your hand was tired after each of those sessions:P I was once hooked into doing my sister's wedding invites by hand on textured handmade paper. My hand was ready to fall off.
Saul Williams is amazing. I am totally sending myself the link to that vid so I can check it out on my other computer. (Speakers stopped working on this one).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissanorth
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009 12:08:43 PM »

That's fantastic! I love the sign language. A2 paper...oh my..are you going to put them on the wall?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009 06:35:29 PM »

it's very curious that an F in American finger spelling is a G in Irish finger spelling.  go figure!
also the calligraphy looks good.  it was interesting to decipher the message, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
thingsivemade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 07:16:37 AM »

Wow, thank you all for the lovely comments!

Coma, yep, it did hurt my hand a good bit but I feel like it was completely worth it. I got a great sense of satisfaction when I finished it Smiley

Melissanorth, I honestly wish I had the wall space to put them up so for now the piece is resting in my portfolio. One day though, one day!

Nataluna, would you believe that each country has its own sign language? For example, in England they use BSL (British Sign Language) and they would use both hands for the alphabet whereas ISL uses only one hand.
 (Also, I see from your banner that you do personal swaps, I might just ask for one!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010 01:32:26 PM »

i know, the world of Deaf sign is a totally different map to the world of spoken languages.  like, there are spanish-speaking countries that use ASL because their Deaf were taught by US missionaries, and i am told that French sign is an ancestor of ASL (because of Mr. Gallaudette) and yet here you have listed several English-speaking countries that have different signed languages.  it's wild.

i am curious, does the syntax of ISL follow Irish Gaelic language, or English ... or neither?

(my mother was a teacher of Deaf and Hearing-Impaired for quite a while, and did study ASL and SE, and so she always used to tell me about these things.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
thingsivemade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010 03:18:24 PM »

I'm not really sure to be honest, Gaelige (Irish Gaelic) is a weird language and it doesn't have certain letters of the alphabet, (Q, V, W, X, Y and Z) but ISL has all of of the letters so I guess it would follow the English syntax.
 I've watched a few Irish sign language shows on tv but I wouldn't be sure how different they would be to others. (I haven't watched television in years so I'm well out of touch!)

Pretty cool that your mother was a teacher in that field, it must be a great feeling being able to teach someone to communicate.

Funny that we're talking about deafness actually because very briefly after getting my hearing aids (at age 25 and after I think 8 operations), I realised that I had never heard bass before in my life. My friend Steve put on "Coded Language", leaving me gobsmacked and wanting to do this calligraphy piece Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissanorth
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010 03:37:39 AM »

I don't know any sign language, but I wear hearing aids too. I've recently got some new ones and had them reprogrammed so they're actually worth wearing!

What have you done with the piece? Perhaps you could join up the scans/photos and print a smaller version for the wall and frame it if you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Kennedy Reveals What Readers Think About Him
DaShaun Morris Talks About War of the Blood in My Veins
Eric Bogosian Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Vincent Flynn Talks About Protect and Defend
Speak Spanish with Dora and Diego Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...