A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UP Inspired Gingerbread House for Big Brothers, Big Sisters Auction  (Read 43897 times)
Tags for this thread: disneys_up , pixars_up , up_movie , gingerbread_house , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rjannelle
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010 11:00:27 PM »

That is so freakin good Shocked it looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010 01:21:19 PM »

Love it! What a great project to do with your family. And your house, wow. All the nostaligic charm of the movie, very well done. I found that movie so frighteningly violent for a kids film but it was certainly interesting conceptually and I'm glad to see it captured here in such a fun medium. Terrific.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010 06:28:59 PM »

A backbone of rice krispy treats?  Ingenious!  Bet that one was fun to transport   Cheesy

Having built only one gingerbread house before the Empire State Building, I already realized how important considering the transportation of the house would be, especially when it's going to be carried around the room during the auction.

I actually spent extra time on the base for the Empire State Building.  I used 2 sheets of 24" x 24" particle board sandwiched together with 1"x2" planks running inside.  The planks were spaced so the two outer most planks could have 1/2" copper pipe slid all the way through.  The copper pipe was cut about 3' long so 6" or so extended out each side and there was 2 copper pipes one for the left and one for the right... this provided 4 sturdy handles and a very solid base so moving the "monstrosity", as my wife likes to refer to it as, was very easy with 2 people.

We called a friend who had a mini-van to help transport it to the auction.  I was lucky to find that there was a whole 1/2" of clearance between the top of the tower and the door jam (after the building was dismantled into 3 sections)!

My recommendation to anyone who is faced with the possible transportation of their gingerbread house, is to use a solid non-flexible base 3/8" think or more of particle board or even 1/2" to 3/4" foam-core if you do not have the tools to cut particle board.  I buy my particle board at Home Depot and ask them to cut it for me before I purchase it.

I used 1/4" particle board this year on the UP House and ended up doing quite a bit of damage to the fence.  If you are faced with moving a house with a base that wants to bend on you, get a piece of plywood to slip under it like a big spatula.

Here is an example of a Gingerbread Space Shuttle built on 1/2" foam core.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deb7845
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2010 06:28:58 AM »

wow, its so cool and it really rocks! haha  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burningrubber
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010 01:21:25 AM »

That is awsome! And a fellow Kansan to boot! 2 thumbs ....UP. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2011 06:29:19 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Episode 111: Day-To-Night Tips, Tricks, & Gifts
3 Ways to Rock Pastels in the Winter
I-DIY: A Sparkling, Souped-Up DIY For Your Beanie
3 Unexpected Party Looks
3 Creative Ways to Layer This Season
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...