A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arabian Nights Bedroom: a belly dancer's boudoir  (Read 34125 times)
Tags for this thread: bedroom , boudoir , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2009 , belly_dance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 30, 2009 08:45:44 PM »

Ok, So I had this painfully plain bedroom...pale pink walls, old dusty blue carpet, white trim, square windows...just painfully, painfully, plain. I belly dance, play middle eastern drum, and involve myself in all things crafty...so it was time for a change! I had a few influences...belly dance, an old 1949 illustrated copy of the 1001 Arabian Nights, and...I'm a bit red in the face to admit...but...the packaging that some Kama Sutra brand intimate products came in. So! All of those inspirations led to the boudoir-harem fantasy mayhem in this pictures. I was going for the tacky-gypsy-hookah lounge look, so any clashing is purely purposeful. I will defend my curtains though, they look yellow in the pictures, but they are gold Thai silk and the flash made them look too bright. They are much darker in person.
On with the pics!

I painted the walls this wine color. In the daylight it looks more purple, with my lamps on it looks more red. The gold design over the windows came from a design that was painted on a Partylite votive holder my aunt gave me. The majority of the bedding came from the Artesia line at JCPenny, but the curtains are my handy work.  Cheesy The little gold shelf by the bed holds some of those Kama Sutra massage oils I mentioned earlier. Hey, it is a boudoir after all!

Ever watch I Dream of Jeannie when they show the inside of her bottle? She had so many cushions! I have 14 cushions in this room alone. I'll probably end up adding more someday.  Cheesy

A corner where I can drum, put on some make-up or enjoy some aroma therapy candles. I also have candle sconces on the walls. This little cabinet thingie I painted white and then took a henna stencil and applied henna with cosmetic gold dust to stain a pretty design on its surfaces. That was a trying project...but definitely worth it! I did the same to my dresser.

My dressing/dance corner. I put some of my belly dance gear here, and in the trunk that the cushions are on. Oh yeah, I made those too.  Wink

I made these with vintage drapery fabric that was my grandmas.

Does your bedroom overlook the sun swept deserts of Rājasthān? Thanks to some acrylic paint...mine does!  Wink
The moon and stars glow in the dark. I used a star map so the constellations are as correct as I could paint them. I'm a nerd.  Tongue

I did a lot of this antiquing finish to all the candle sconces and this wrought iron garden table with some gold acrylic paint.

And the next project is...the bathroom! Someday... Tongue

Thanks for looking Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009 09:04:30 PM »

LOOOOOVE THE THEME and the colours very much. Sexy lookin bed! Good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchyemm
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009 09:11:19 PM »

What a gorgeous room - I love all the rich colours and the fake window is a terrific touch.  Beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hecate
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009 09:13:57 PM »

Can you do my bedroom next, pretty please?  Wink Seriously, this looks so awesome, and the attention to detail really shows, especially with the painting of the window overlooking the desert! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009 09:21:30 PM »

My daughter and I are both in love with your room. We wanted to try this theme in her room, but have not been able to pull it off yet. We are not allowed to paint and I haven't been able to work out the whole washer/dryer/deepfreeze/furnace/waterheater into the decor, so we put it on hold for now. Maybe we need to give it another try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009 09:27:35 PM »

Oh my god that is gorgeous! I love all those colors and that is exactly how I want to do my room.  Totally gonna copy you! Mwahahahaha!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
greenfaerie
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009 10:47:23 PM »

Great great job!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
habitat-lady
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009 11:24:42 PM »

Really cool.  Love your room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
mslejean
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009 12:27:24 AM »

So sexy! Though my fav color is red, I know someone who loves purple. So many great ideas I can borrow to make her a gift. If only she would let me re-do her entire bedroom like yours.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
APlusAmigurumi
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009 12:33:12 AM »

Everything is beautiful and works really well together. I love that fake window, as well as all the detail above the real windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
How to Make an Origami Heart using a Dollar
How to Fold a 14 Piece Origami Star
How to Make a Square Origami Box
How to make an Origami Butterfly from Water Bomb Base
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...