A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Crocheted Market Bag  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Digit4lPyro
« on: December 29, 2009 06:02:04 PM »

Hi everyone~!  

I read an article online about making fabric strips from plastic grocery bags (can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere though).  Anyways, thought I would try it out.

Kinda neat.  The only downside is it is a bit weak when it comes to carrying heavier items but at least it works out for lighter shopping sprees.   Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009 06:07:15 PM by fantasticmio - Reason: added the pics! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 06:46:40 PM »

Woo Hoo! I love you! I've just started making plarn over the past week, and was wondering if I was barking up a useless tree, and you've just reinspired me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009 06:58:50 PM »

i love it! my grandma was doing this 15 years ago and people thought she was crazy.  try cutting the plastic into wider strips and using a bigger hook to make it stronger.  also, certain stores have stronger bags.  target bags are much stronger than kroger or walmart bags.  and a wider shoulder strap won't stretch as much.  or make two straps to distribute the load.  hope that helps for the next one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009 07:00:36 PM »

I've also seen a blog online about using all sorts of platic bags. for instance, I don't know if you use the pound of love yarn, but i do, and they come in super sturdy plastic bags, I started cutting those up the other day, and so far they seem stronger than walmart bag plarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Digit4lPyro
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009 02:11:25 PM »

Woo Hoo! I love you! I've just started making plarn over the past week, and was wondering if I was barking up a useless tree, and you've just reinspired me!

Wewt!  I'm loved.  Grin

Thanks for the tip on the different brands for bags.  Just so ya know, you may want to stay away from Kroger bags.  They're insanely thin and a bit of a pain (it's the brown stripe in the middle of my bag).

You could also try making a rug out of plarn.  It might be nice for an outdoor type thing.  =)

i love it! my grandma was doing this 15 years ago and people thought she was crazy.  try cutting the plastic into wider strips and using a bigger hook to make it stronger.  also, certain stores have stronger bags.  target bags are much stronger than kroger or walmart bags.  and a wider shoulder strap won't stretch as much.  or make two straps to distribute the load.  hope that helps for the next one!

Wow, that's a long time ago.  LoL, my guy thought I was a bit crazy too.  He kept shaking his head... tehe

It's 2 straps right now... maybe I'll re-make the straps so they're wider to help with the load.  Thank you for the tip~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fabulous Fall Fashion Finds For Under $30
Is Lady Gaga Toning Down Her Daring Style?
I Love It All: HardWired Behind the Scenes
Stylish Skirts In Sheer Fabrics
Victoria Beckham Designs Chic Denim
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...