A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing Clothing  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pfifltriggi
« on: November 09, 2009 07:52:09 PM »

I have a great wool coat I got at thrift shop. However, it is cream colored, which will not work for me. How difficult would it be to dye it Navy Blue? Any tips?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009 12:45:58 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009 01:59:33 PM »

Wool is very easy as long as it really is wool and not polyester. It takes dye really well. I've dyed wool with kool-aid, but to get a dark color like navy, you probably want to use real dye. Rit or dylon is easily obtainable at brick and mortar stores. Rit is available at the grocery stores in my area. Do the bucket dying method so that you don't boil your wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alycebobalyce
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009 10:07:38 PM »

If you think that you will ever want to wash your coat, don't use Rit. Use Jacquard acid dyes--they cost about as much as Rit, can be found at a local art supply store (depending on where you live) or purchased from dharmatrading.com. You will need both heat and vinegar (or citric acid) to set the dye, but if you heat the coat slowly, it shouldn't be a problem, and the Jacquard colors are really nice. Also, they stick to the fabric and don't dye your entire load of laundry, every time you wash your garment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mollymolly
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009 12:55:27 PM »

Try to track down Rit ProLine.  I know it's available in cities... but I'm not sure how hard it is to track down outside of metro areas.  Also, I HIGHLY recommend going to Rit's website.  Read their tips, that will help A TON.  My top suggestions are 1) make sure the garment is very very clean and 2) use way more of the dye than the instructions call for.  Otherwise you get a muted, faded look.  Not cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009 09:27:08 PM »

maybe bluing? I have had mixed results with rit, usually bad as it is not so much a dye but a stain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
lollie_pollie
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009 05:14:57 PM »

Remember that thread won't dye so you might end up with a navy sweater with cream accents (aka...thread that is showing). Whenever I dye, I always think the thread is a cute accent, but you might not.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be careful with glitter. It never goes away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
audsnico
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009 07:11:19 PM »

Here are the main problems I think you'll have to overcome:
1) you need something big enough to dye it in, but you need hot water to dye, but you have to be careful putting it in the washing machine because heat+agitation = boiled wool, i.e. major shrinking. Maybe you could buy a big tub and heat water on the stove in batches? Or maybe you could fill the washer with cold or warm water, then add the dye, then add the coat and gradually add hot water and agitate gently with a broom stick or something. If the coat shrinks a little, you can probably resize it a little with a steam iron.

2) The lining. The lining won't take the dye the same way as the wool, which might be just fine. Also, if the coat shrinks at all, it may do so at a different rate from the lining.

3) All fasteners will need to be removed. Fine if you don't mind reattaching a bunch of buttons, not so fine if it's got a zipper.

4) Threads made of different material as described by above poster.

Good luck!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marta Topran Almost Died From Removing Bikini Hair
DIY Avocado Hair Mask Refresher with Meghan Rosette and Lauren Elizabeth
How Sweating Benefits Skin and Cellulite
How to Look Like a Celeb in Pictures
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products That Actually Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...