A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying fabric  (Read 857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PetStoreGirl
« on: December 29, 2009 10:54:06 AM »

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit here but this was the closest thing i could think of. I recently purchased a scarf at a local craft store and I would like it to match my new shoes. I am buying some fabric dye later and I wanted to know if there were any tricks or secrets. I know with tye dye you let your shirts soak in a solution for a while but I'm unsure of regular fabric dye. Please help I'll post pictures to go along later.

THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 11:31:32 AM »

It depends on the brand, actually.  They all should have their instructions.  I have worked with one that you use putting it with the garments in the washing machine.  Once done, you do a quick cold wash with the machine empty to clear any residual dye and that's all.  It worked quite nicely for me.  Bear in mind that the base colour of the fabric will influence the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009 02:00:10 PM »

Remember to make sure the dye you buy says it can dye the type of fabric your scarf is made of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PetStoreGirl
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009 06:11:48 PM »

Its a black and white plaid Will that affect anything?  I'm dying it red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009 11:27:03 PM »

Well the black won't change, but the white should dye a nice red if you get the correct dye for your fabric type.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PetStoreGirl
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009 06:07:58 AM »

Well I was looking at the scarf last night and there was no tag to let me know what kind of fabric it was...it was a cheap scarf so IDK. I bought some red dye at walmart due to the fact that I kinda don't want to spend a lot of money and I don't know the fabric type. I'm going to test it in a swatch of white fabric before I stick my fabulous scarf in there but I'm hoping that this is going to work out great. And because its walmart style fabric dye it didn't specify fabric types.

Crossin' my fingers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annaloves
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010 04:50:11 PM »

If the fabric of the scarf and the fabric of the white fabric you use for testing arent the same thing, you may get different results for dying the scarf. if the scarf has little tassly things on the ends i would say cut a tiny amount off of one [not a lot, cause you dont want to be able to tell haha] and dye that to see if the dye takes. If the scarf is polyester, it wont take dye. you could also check the online store of wherever you bought it and see if they say what the scarf is made out of on their online store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katia Beauchamp With Marlo Thomas
How To Conceal Wrinkles Without Looking Pasty, from Katia Beauchamp
Five Essential Make-Up Items, from Katia Beauchamp
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Sensitive Skin In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...