A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
280 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo editing  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 29, 2009 09:54:56 AM »

In order to make some patterns I need to edit some photos -
some to black and white (no shades of gray!)
and some to 3 colors (black, white and red) with no in-between shades

Is there a way to do this using free photo editing programs?  I dont have photoshop and I cant figure it out on picassa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 08:54:12 PM »

Can anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 04:03:12 AM »

Have you tried Gimp? I'm not sure how much you can do with it, but there are loads of tutorials on the web, they'd give you an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
Hika-chan
Self Appointed Queen of the Leemars

A Mom enjoying my own adventures in Craftsterland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010 10:12:17 PM »

If your computer came with windows photo gallery, you can do it with that. Windows photo gallery is usually the program most windows programs have to view images. When you double click an image, it usually brings the image up in a new window. Then on the top it gives you options like: file, fix, info, print, etc
You'll want to hit fix. (Before you start this process though, you should resave it under a new name. This is process is reverseable but can be a pain. )
So hit fix. It will bring up a side menu that has auto adjust, adjust color, etc. You'll want to hit adjust color. Then move the saturation bar all the way to the left. This should turn a color image into gray tones. You might need to play with the tint bar and the color temp. bar to get the right variance. Jus play with it until it looks good to you.
Now you will want to click auto exposure. Once you do this the gray tone will save to the image, which is why you dont want to do this with an original image. Now adjust the brightness and contrast. This should make the image black and white.  Then you can hit the print button on the top bar and print the size you want.

This program isnt capable of making mosaics or cross stitch patterns but can be useful for quick rendering. I'm not sure, but you may be able to get the program from microsoft as a download. You'll have to look into it, but I believe it comes with almost every windows computer.

Hope that helps. ^-~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists http://=http://www.wists.com/Hika-chan/
blog http://motherinwonderland.blogspot.com/

I love to swap ATCs. Let me know if you're interested.
1CraftyBunnyGal
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011 09:40:52 AM »

That's what I was going to suggest, downloading GIMP. There are also books about it. I have checked out some of them from my library. It's going to be awhile to learn it, for me, and I confess I didn't study the books as much as I should - got sidetracked - and today I have to return them. I'll check them out again soon and try to concentrate better.  Wink

But maybe you can get a friend who knows either Photoshop or GIMP to help you since you just have a couple of specific things you need to learn right now, and then if you want to take it farther and do other things with it you could do that later.

Good luck! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Colossians 3:17
A2JC4life
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011 02:20:46 PM »

I know this is old, so you probably have this taken care of.  But in case anyone is finding this later...I think Photoscape will do what you need.  (It's free.  And I love it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Summer Hairstyles To Beat The Heat
Quick Tips to Fight Frizzy Hair
Hair How To: The Gatsby Girl Look
How to Style Balayage Highlights
Messy Updos Are in This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...