A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any Ideas on How to Display Button Pins?  (Read 7888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heianidan5
« on: December 29, 2009 08:39:38 AM »

Hey everyone!
I recently found a bunch of my old button pins from the past! I wanted to display them rather than just keep them in a ziplock bag. Any ideas on how I could do this? I was thinking of a cork board but I want them to lay flat.

Something like this:
http://www.stickerworldph.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/button_pins.3805926.jpg

Thanks for the help!
Tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christie.mcnabb
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 08:55:10 AM »

i would suggest removing the pin part, and then the world is your oyster.  you mentioned laying them flat, but you could always buy little round magnets and glue them to the back for cool deco for your fridge. 

i've never tried this, but i wonder if you could "tile" them, using modge podge as a sort of "grout"....so basically lay them side-by-side in rows to form a square.  you would have to put them in something that could either peel away or would form a boundary for the glue.  then pour modge podge in between and allow to harden.  now, i've never tried this, so i don't know how long it would take to dry...it just came to mind as i was typing....

let me know what you try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/christiemc83
http://www.livingisaprocess.wordpress.com

i am always open to a personal swap!  just pm me!
Virg
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010 01:43:54 PM »

Oooo!  I'm with Christie on removing the pinbacks.  They could be decoration around a mirror- kind of like these bottle caps. 

These seem like they could be fun as bathroom art.  Like on a large skinny frame, I'm thinking of the Walmart cheapo hanging mirrors, either glued directly to the mirror, or on a piece of fabric instered into the mirror, which seems a little trickier... 

Or you could make a trays or a table and put them in resin, a la this button table http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=244455.0.

And my last idea is that it would be fun to have something three dimensional, like a lamp shade or a series of boxes covered in pins.  If you used the craft store cardboard boxes you might be able to paint the boxes and then poke the pins in.  Otherwise, bring on the hot glue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelsmin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011 04:37:29 PM »

If you want to still be able to use them, you could try a cork board covered in fabric, maybe with another layer of mesh fabric on top to put the pins through. Or you could attach ribbons to the board and put pins through the ribbons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011 05:52:52 PM »

I have a small quilt hanging on my wall that I put some buttons/pins on. It works great, the quilt batting gives it enough body to hold the pins in place nicely. Depending on how many pins you have, a quilted placemat or potholder could work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011 06:59:51 PM »

I had a large (2' x 3') piece of finished fabric - not sure what it was designed for - I pinned them all on that. Every couple of years you'll want to take it down & remove buttons to remove dust/etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011 07:09:31 PM »

If they're of any monetary value that you don't want to lose, I'd recommend that you not remove the pin back.

If the cork is thick enough, you could insert the pin into the cork until it sits flat against the cork.  If you meant flat as horizontal, I'd put them in a cork boarded frame with a piece of glass over them.

I display some on a file cabinet at work.  I wrapped a piece of tape around the closed pin with an exposed sticky side that then got stuck to the cabinet.  They hang flat against the cabinet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011 09:53:54 AM »

You could always string them and make a mobile or 'curtain' with them. They would spin around but you would be able to see them and it would look pretty spiffy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011 02:09:59 PM »

I tacked fabric to the back of an old wicker frame that once held a mirror. I pin my collection on there. My nicer "fancy" broaches, I have pinned on strips of wide ribbon, and tacked them onto my bulletin board at the edges of it. Dusting isn't that difficult, because they are pinned and I can just hit them with the feather duster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011 10:46:00 PM »

I have a denim jacket that is going to be hung on the front of my wardrobe, and all my pins and brooches will be pinned to it. I can grab and wear one whenever I please, and it'll look nifty, too!
I could wear the jacket like that, but only if all the pins were very secure-won't risk it otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011 12:14:24 PM »

I did not read every else response to this, but if you do end up removing the pins... I think it would be cute to put them in picture frames, and hang on the wall.  Using different sized frames, and painting them fun colors to compliment each other. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
gideb
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012 06:59:41 PM »

I made a table for NY craft room of buttons my mom collected for yrs using resin if you buy it from the automotive department I here it is suppose to be cheaper. I love my table and everyone in family wants it. Good luckSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial: Looking Radiant
How to Get Budge-Proof Makeup in 3 Easy Steps
Top 5 Winter Makeup Trends
How to Wear Bright Lipstick
Quick Tips for a Polished and Professional Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...