A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: decoupaging veneered wood? i need your help, allmighty crafters :-)  (Read 2863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009 05:46:26 AM »

hi everyone!

i have 3 old wardrobes in my bedroom, they are veneered and don't match the colour of the other wood in the room.
i decoupaged a lamp with newspaper, so i thought about decoupaging them too.
i thing it would look good in this room, but i'm not willing to sand the veneer-layer off the wardrobes aren't worth this effort anymore and there is no way to get them outside for sanding or something like that.
as money is a little tight after we bought everything else for our new home, i thought this could be a nice, cheap idea.
the wardrobes will never be painted again after this, so it has not to be removable.

my second idea was painting it with coloured glue? not to make it look like varnish, it should be just Smiley Smiley white, but irregular, somewhat like an expressionist painting  Roll Eyes
i'd love to get a little texture, but again i don't know which glue would work, as wallpaper glue is not strong enough (varnish does not work either)

has anyone done something like that bevore? they're huge and plain, so the real problem is the glue, i think.
i tried wallpaper paste, but my testpiece just fell of as soon as it was dried completely.

as for glue-shopping: i'm in europe

thanks for reading this,
i would love to hear your thoughts/ideas on how to get ANYTHING to stick on there without sanding :-)
thanks in advance!

-angela

ps: i haven't found a topic that helps me here, sorry if i missed one already existing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Virg
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 01:29:16 PM »

What about contact paper?  I don't know about the availability of contact paper in Europe but I've seen some cut outs applied to dressers that were really cute.  (Which of course I can't find right now...)

These are modpodged, but I think they could be easily cut out with contact paper:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarswirl/3091012352/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010 01:54:31 PM »

thank you for the comment!

i tried to find contact paper or sticky vinyl, but every brand/material i found was at least 10 cm to narrow for the wardrobe's doors.
and piecing it together looked really stupid

what is mod podge?
i mean, i know it's glue people use for about everything, but what kind of glue is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Virg
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010 02:40:19 PM »

Its like a white glue.  A "waterbase sealer, glue & finish" that is frequently used for decoupage.  I think mod podge is the brand name.  A common substitute I've seen is half water, half white glue.

I don't know if you've seen Mod Podge Rocks, but there's tons of decoupage inspiration. (My current obsession)
http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/search/label/Furniture

And your wallpaper paste might work if you scuff up the veneer.  You don't have to sand it all down, but just provide some traction.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 02:48:46 PM by Virg » THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010 03:17:01 PM »

i started to cover the doors with wallpaper glue, but in a way that the paper is wrapped around the piece of "wood"
if you know what i mean so it can't come off, because there is some sort of paper shell around the wood.
if this works out, i will varnish it

i covered a mannequin and wine glasses the same way both with wallpaper glue, and it seems to work fine

as for mod podge: i will visit this huge bookbinding/painting supply store, maybe i can find some white glue.
believe it or not, but i haven't seen white glue since kindergarten. except wood glue
today i read that a mixture of 2/3 wallpaper glue and 1/3 of wood glue would result in something similar to mod podge too.
i found that kind of weird/funny, as these are the two glues i was thinking of for that project.  Roll Eyes

thank you for the information!
i always see mod podge projects, as i spend way too much time here on craftster
but it's a little hard to make people believe that i haven't seen real mod podge in my whole life. Wink
let me tell you that living in some tiny european country does not make it easier to get supplies. especally as a lot of stuff with a common english name has no proper name in my first language.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010 05:43:27 PM »

ha! it worked.

they're all pretty now. decoupaged and then painted with watered down white varnish.
i'll try to take pictures. photographing newspaper is harder than expected.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Tips on Making Buffalo Wings
How to Make Dixie Bell Cornbread Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...