A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookmark Swap- Rd. 2 SENDOUT DATE HAS CHANGED!!! IT IS NOW: 1/19/10  (Read 31814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2010 09:50:31 PM »

Hey I am with you. No desire to read Twilight. I saw te HP movies. No desire to read the books.  I have been actually into reading series of children's books lately. I love when the animals tell the story like this hamster series I am reading. I think it so cute. I am really into my gerbils and hamster right. Any hamster or gerbils story interests me now.

I have hammies too! Mine live in my biology classroom most of the year tho... My two Winter Whites that I had for 3.5 years died last spring (RIP Figment and Finder). I wasn't going to get anymore this year, but then a student of mine brought in a Winter White that her mum had caught in the garage, so I took it in and named it Abu. Then another girl brought a Campbell's Dwarf in from a friend of hers who was moving to a military post where no pets are allowed in housing - when I got it the cage bedding was so dirty and soiled there was mold growing and flies breeding in it! I was horrified as I used to be a zookeeper and would never allow my animals to even get close to that condition. Luckily, I cleaned out her enclosure and she is now happy and healthy! Her name was Bravo, but I've changed it to Nala to keep with my Disney naming theme (my dog is Bambi, my mice are Zazu and Iago, and my 2 hermit crabs are Gus and Jack!)
Anywho, that long paragraph was leading up to my question: What's the name of the hamster series? I really want to read it! Thanks!

BTW: For those of you worried about allergies (like me!) I thought I should clarify - none of my animals live in my house. My dog lives at my parents' house (she had lived there almost 10 years when I moved into my own place after college so we didn't want to uproot her.) And the rest of my zoo lives in my classroom all year until summer when they are boarded at Mom and Dad's "kennel." lol.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010 10:31:14 PM by angelofmusic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
camelama
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2010 10:12:41 PM »

This past weekend, while spending time at my parents' house, I re-read "Anne of Green Gables".  It was wonderful to revisit such an incredible old friend.  I found it while unable to sleep, I was cruising Mom's bookcases.

I'm also re-reading Arthur Ransome's "Swallows & Amazons" series - young adult books written in 1930s, I just adore them. Highly recommend them to anyone, youth or adult!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2010 10:43:39 PM »

I have hammies too! Mine live in my biology classroom most of the year tho... My two Winter Whites that I had for 3.5 years died last spring (RIP Figment and Finder).

As in Figment and DREAMfinder from Version 1 of Journey into Imagination? Omg I love you.  Shocked

I tend to name lots of pets Disney names as well. I currently have a Red Oranda named Gus, I use to have a Black Moore named Pumbaa, and I had a Red Fantail Fancy named Simba. I know there were other names in the past but it's sorta late at night and I just don't want to think that hard.

For other books other than the ones I have mentioned, I tend to like books about Disney Imagineering as it is a hobby of mine to study it's ways and track Joe Rohde's career. Walter E. Disney biographies are nice too, but all are basically the same.

I tend to like books on the care of pets such as fish, hedgehogs and such. I would love to get a book about bats, because I hope to volunteer rehabilitating some day. A book about stingrays would be nice too as I plan on owning a stingray sometime in the near future (I want to go back to school for marine biology to focus on ichthyology)

I tend to have Baby Name books laying around which is a little weird since I don't plan on ever having kids, but they are good to get inspiration for pet names. Plus it is just mad fun to look at meanings and origins.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010 10:59:23 PM by AlishaMisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2010 11:26:31 PM »

As in Figment and DREAMfinder from Version 1 of Journey into Imagination? Omg I love you.  Shocked

For other books other than the ones I have mentioned, I tend to like books about Disney Imagineering as it is a hobby of mine to study it's ways and track Joe Rohde's career. Walter E. Disney biographies are nice too, but all are basically the same.

Yep! I loved the original Journey - then they ruined it - then they sortof revived it with that new senses thing - but I miss the original 1983 version! I'm a huge Disney freak too! Been to the World now 4 times and am going back again this summer. Unfortunately, living in TX makes it difficult and expensive to go - but it's well worth it when I do go! Although, if I didn't pin trade, I could save a fair chunk of change! hehe!
I also love the books on WDI! Have you done any of the behind the scenes tours? I really want to do one this summer.  I'm also a huge Hidden Mickey fan and WDW park history fan so I read lots of those books too! There's a great series out that has a book about each WDW park. Each book discusses how the parks were planned and built by the Imagineers who did the work - lots of random facts in them like that the Tree of Life at AK was supposed to be a viewing tower for the park, not the Bug's Life attraction that currently exists. They are great books!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2010 11:52:58 PM »

Yep! I loved the original Journey - then they ruined it - then they sortof revived it with that new senses thing - but I miss the original 1983 version! I'm a huge Disney freak too! Been to the World now 4 times and am going back again this summer. Unfortunately, living in TX makes it difficult and expensive to go - but it's well worth it when I do go! Although, if I didn't pin trade, I could save a fair chunk of change! hehe!
I also love the books on WDI! Have you done any of the behind the scenes tours? I really want to do one this summer.  I'm also a huge Hidden Mickey fan and WDW park history fan so I read lots of those books too! There's a great series out that has a book about each WDW park. Each book discusses how the parks were planned and built by the Imagineers who did the work - lots of random facts in them like that the Tree of Life at AK was supposed to be a viewing tower for the park, not the Bug's Life attraction that currently exists. They are great books!
I am hoping that Version 4 will indeed have Dreamfinder again, but I doubt it. I'm from Maine so you are lucky you are closer! Yeah, sure it is a plane ride either way, but I still like to mentally know when I'm closer. I live in WDW for a month every year which is a blast. I just took a quick birthday trip in Oct/Nov to be able to take videos and pics of Toontown before it gets torn down. I <3 Pin Trading too. It is indeed an expensive hobby! I have the Hidden Mickeys book too and I am constantly keeping myself updated with actions in the park. Park History is my favorite though. Ah yes, the Imagineering Field Guides. I own all of them. DHS will be out in July. They keep out a lot of important info though and they don't teach me anything new, but I keep them as a paper copy of the concept arts. I have seen that only Imagineering books made by Disney themselves has been accurate, but not some of the non-Disney published ones. So make sure that you know your stuff and don't rely on them. Actually this is very true even when it comes to other Disney related books.
I feel like we are related or something  Cheesy
------------
So I don't know about the rest of you but it is just killing me that we have to wait for partners. It always does, but it is just absolutely painful!!!!! I can not wait!

I have never read "A Wrinkle in Time". Does anyone recommend it? I remember in 5th grade another class was reading it (we were reading another) and I was jealous because of everyones reactions, but I want an adults opinion now.

I use to read Shakespeare a lil while back and thought "A Midsummer's Night Dream" was good

I got a book from Lindy321 called "Super Crafty" - It had a nice Tutorial on how to make sock monkeys. I haven't tried it out yet but I did cut up a pair of socks that I bought before I read that you sew and then cut. I need to learn to read directions and not let my ADHD get the best of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panda
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2010 05:39:10 AM »

ok ok ok I have to admit I have been swapping elsewhere.....with bookmarks.  I mailed 2 overseas and they only cost me $.96 cost the went in regular envelopes as letters.  No customs. (oh almost forgot they were fabric bookmarks)

Just got threw doing to bookmark swaps and serious thinking about this one....now just to come up with ideas for boys.   Everything is so girly and boys read too...my grandson has a bookself full of books....and reading everyday wish he would do more math....LOL.

I read some children's books to take you away to that fantasy of a simple life without all the hustle and bustle of today.  Plus I am homeschooling.

6 spots left....mmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2010 07:06:11 AM »

I don't own many craft books, but the Walden's in my area is going out of business and I bought a book on a whim. Haven't read it yet, only flipped through it but I think I will really like it. I't not exactly a craft book so much as a crafting inspiration book. Its called "Crafter's Devotional: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Unlocking Your Creative Spirit" Basically it is a book full of starting points and places to find inspiration. It is not a how-to book, but it looks like a good read to me. Does anyone else own this? Any thoughts from someone that has read it? I have it sitting on my couch waiting for me to start using it  Smiley

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Crafters-Devotional-Techniques-Unlocking-Creative/dp/1592535313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262876425&sr=8-1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
audio
Nobody could do that much découpage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2010 07:17:05 AM »

I don't ususally use craft books. I do have the Craftster book! Usually I just like using patterns that are online, but every once in a while I'll go to my library and check out 20 or so craft books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilgal

I love knitting and my gerbils.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2010 07:25:43 AM »

The hamster series is about a school hamster named Humphrey. The Author is Betty Birney. This is the list of books in the series so far:

Book 1: The World According To Humphrey - Paperback - May 5, 2005
Book 2: Friendship According To Humphrey - Paperback - Jul 20, 2006
Book 3: Trouble According to Humphrey - Paperback - Feb 28, 2008
Book 4: Surprises According To Humphrey - Paperback - Jan 8, 2009
Book 5: Adventure According To Humphrey - Paperback - January 7, 2010.
Book 6: Summer According to Humphrey - Hardcover - Feb 4, 2010

I was able to check them out at the library. I am currently reading book 3. Also I would highly recommend reading Obi - Gerbil on the Loose by Micheal Delaney. After reading the book. You should read her online blog. I read it everyday. http://www.obi.typepad.com/  I actually met the author. he came to our gerbil show this past May. I post in the blog all the time so he knew who I was!

There is an older gerbil series that I love to read over and over again. It is about a gerbil named Weebie that can talk to his owner. They have lots of adventures together. "The Weebie Zone" by Ellen Weiss, Stephanie Spinner
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gerbilgal1/
Squeaky Knitting: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gerbilgal

Current Swaps:
I Heart Tea 2: Signups
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2010 07:40:14 AM »

Just as an FYI, thanks to so many of you either being flexible within your questionnaire, or offering to do either group/single option, we WILL be able to have a full 60 swappers, rather than some other odd number.  Only 5 spots left!

In other news, DH and I have dwarf hamsters too.  Well, we did have hamsters, now we have a single hamster.  We got Tumbler and Highball when we moved from IL to NH.  They are clearly the world's most awesome hamsters.  I mean c'mon, their names are Tumbler and Highball!  Poor Tumbler passed on last year.  She was fine when we went to bed one night, but when DH got home from work at noon the next day he found she had a urinary infection and rushed her to the vet.  They did their best, but she passed.  At least the poor little creature wasn't sick long.  For Highball this meant that he now has a Duplex, with a giant "yard" all to himself.  He's now over 2 years old, and getting a bit blind, but is still clearly the world's coolest hamster. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Knotted Hair Style Tutorial
3 Styles That Maximize Clip-In Hair Extensions
How to Style a Side Bun
Michelle Obama Sports Brand New Highlighted Do
4 Top Celebrity Hair Trends Anyone Can Do
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...