A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's(Or Women's) Cabled Turtleneck ?Design in progress... Hat Pic is Post#4  (Read 2857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2009 04:06:36 PM »

My Uncle Joe WAS here, and I am designing him a simplified fisherman's cabled sweater. I am planning to use circular needles, and 100% wool sport yarn. This yarn knits up finer than red heart, by about 1/3rd. Just made comparisons in my stitch tests.
   EDIT:*** I decided to make a complementary hat first, to get the stitch guage worked out for the sweater.and yarn yeild.I began typing directions for the hat in the 3rd. post.The hat will be a simple mock cable pattern, a good beginner's or intermediate project.
  I will edit the pattern as I go with specific details. His head measurement is 23" The ribbing stretch will allow some size flexibility. If my count is off, I will know soon, and make notations.

He wears a Medium. This pattern will have a regular sleeve cap, not raglan. It will have 3 types of cables, a 9-stitch braid, a 6-stitch twist, and a 2-stitch mock-cable. It will have 2x2 ribbing, and a deep turtleneck.

I am going to guage it for  size 6 and 8 circular needles.
  Here are my stitch counts:
Ribbing, size 6: k2,p2: 30 stitches =3.5 inches, unstretched.(you should slightly spread it for measurements)or it will end up too big around the hat
Stockinette stitch, size 8  needles, 30 stitches became 6" wide
Mock cable,size 8,  k2,p3: 30 stitches is 5" wide.
For stretch and size purposes, I am counting it like this:
size 6: 6st.=1", 7 rows =1"
The ribbing will appear smaller at first, but I am reducing stitches to allow for some stretching on the head.
size 8 needles: Stockinette stitch:
5 stitches = 1", and 11 rows = 2"
Here are the stitch counts for RED HEART YARN:
Size 6 needles:Complete pattern: 22 Stitches =4"
                     Stockinette Stitch:9 st. =2"
                     ROWS: 6 rows =1"
Size 8 needles:Stockinette Stitch:4 St. =1"
                     Rows: 5 rows =1"  

I will post this pattern in sections, and there will be a version for a seamed sweater, plus conversions to circular needles.
The original inspiration sweater for sizing is a 1944 basic ribbed pattern with a round necked collar. My modifications will be in stitch guage, and to incorporate the cable patterns, with a turtleneck.(Not to mention the circular needles)
 I estimate about 20-25 ounces of yarn, but will be more certain after the actual yarn is  and tested.
EDIT:The yarn I'm using is LION BRAND Fisherman's Wool. 8oz. skein, at Michaels. Reg. price is $8.99 a skein. Sale until Jan 2 for 6.99 ea. I'm using "Maple Tweed" Dye lots matter here! I expect to get a hat and possibly a scarf, or most of it, from first skein.
We will be purchasing sweater yarn in a week or two, but I am calculating the pattern as I work on hat.
Please look for regular updates.
Here are my preliminary photos:
This first pic shows the 3 cables I'm using. The widest one(braided cable)
will be in the center of pattern. The RT. shows completed half of pattern, with stockinette stitch filling in the sides.

Next, This is the yarn I will be using. My Uncle wanted the plain brown, but I'm liking the tweed. I'll convince him with the hat!

Here is a close-up of the tiny mock-cable I am making the hat in. The first pic in blue shows better detail.

The hat instructions are being edited as I go, they are in the 3rd. post. I have set aside several spaces for details as I write these patterns. Please check these additional  posts as this first post is now full.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 01:09:34 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MagickDragonfly
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009 06:49:39 AM »

I love Cabled turtlenecks! Sounds like fun! All I need is the time to make one though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009 12:27:44 PM »

There'll be time... I just got an 8oz. skein of LION BRAND Fisherman's wool, to work out the stitch guage with. We will be buying the yarn when my Uncle gets paid.
I made the first beanie hat with the tweed yarn, and it fits a little small. So, I'm editing the pattern here. If you read this before it's being re-written. The first info fits a 22" head. I will add 10 stitches for the next size, to fit a 23" head.
The hat uses a size 6 needle.(16" circular, or straight. If you have circular needles and they are too long, they can be used by knitting back and forth. Treat stitch count as for straight needles.
 You need a multiple of 10 stitches, plus 2. Plus 4 if using straight needles. (2 to have the ribbing in pattern, plus 1 on each end for selvedge if using straight needles.)
**The pattern is a 2x2 rib,for 5.5" making a folded cuff.
***You want the cast on edge to face on top when folded up, so be sure to orientate the work to the back side when starting the mock cable pattern.
***Cast on 112(PLUS 2 for straight needles) size 22'' head(Women's), or
***Cast on 122(+2 for straight) size 23"head(Men's)
Begin a k2p2rib. if using straight needles, add 1 stitch on each end, in pattern. So, it will be K3*k2,p2,k2.....*P3
Work ribbing for 5.5 inches.
***Do one row of purl stitches, making sure cast on edge shows on top when folded up to right side. This purl row will be seen as a knit row from the right side. It acts as a line to break the pattern change.
***Begin mock cable pattern. (1 selvedge stitch if necessarry)Row1:*k2,p3....ending with a p3(p4 for selvedge)
Rows2,3: repeat row 1( If using straight needles, alternate your reverse stitches .. k for p, p for k on opposite side rows.)
Row 4: *skip 1st knitted stitch, knit second k st. lift over skipped st. to rt. needle. then k skipped stitch. purl 3,* repeat.
Since there are only 2 stitches to cable, you do not use a double pointed needle. It is a very simple technique.
*Repeat these 4 rows for pattern.
*** Continue until pattern of mock cable is about 5-6 inches deep.
Make sure you do not begin decreasing too soon, as this hat should be able to come down over the ears.
**Decreasing for crown:
Keeping in mock cable pattern on all k sections; decrease the purl stitches only until there are no more. Decrease alternating ribs, then do a reverse row, with no decreasing, then decrease from remaining alternating purl ribs next time. Continue in this fashion until there are no more purl stitches.
*In other words, it goes like this...*k2,p1,p2 tog.,k2,p3,*repeat.
Next row,(or reverse side) no decreasing.
3rd. row, decrease from ribs not done on previous decrease row. It should require about 10 rows alternating and decreasing in this way to be rid of all the purl stitches. At this point, you will quit the cable pattern, and do a rapid decrease.
*** When there are no purl stitches left, begin K2 together, and repeat front or back until there are about 6 stitches left on needle. Pull a yarn needle through, go around twice,pulling together and closing hole. Sew up seam if you have one.
**If you have a seam, close up brim of hat halfway, turning to make sure folded up part is sen from the unseen side. This means, you sew the edge from the top, and then the rest from the inside.
*** I just posted my finished hat in POST#4
I am now making it with a size 8 needle, with 94 stitches. I hope this one fits my Uncle's 23" head!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 02:26:55 PM by KLKing - Reason: Re-Written instructions... First hat is finished! Photos reply #4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009 12:46:04 PM »

;DThis spaced reserved for project notes.
Here are the instructions for the large braid. I recommend practicing this stitch by itself, until you are comfortable with it.

The six stitch cable is just a basic twist, cabled on every sixth row.
You simply put 3 stitches on a cable needle, or DP NEEDLE, and hold to back. If you wish to reverse the direction to appear going the other way, hold to front. You can do this to have the cables appear to be facing each other on each side of your pattern.

9 STITCH BRAID:Multiple of 12 stitches...plus 3 0n the other side (3+9)+3 CALLED "PLAIT STITCH"
ROW 1 (right Side)*P3,K9,repeat from*across row, end with P3
ROW 2: *K3,P9, repeat from *across,end with K3.
NOTE: For circular knitting, your work is always facing you, so do not reverse stitches... This row would read:P3, K9, etc.
ROW 3: *P3, slip (sl) 3 stitches on double-pointed needle (dp), hold in BACK of work, K next 3 sts.,then K3 from dp needle, repeat from*across row, end with P3.
ROW 4: repeat row 2
Row 5: repeat row 1
ROW 6: repeat row 2
Row 7:*P3,K3, sl next 3 sts. on dp needle, HOLD IN FRONT OF WORK, K3 sts,then K3 from dp needle, repeat from* across row, end with P3.
ROW 8: Repeat row 2
ROW 9: Repeat row 1
ROW 10:Repeat row 2
Repeat rows 3-10 for pattern. Bind off in pattern.
It is helpful to use a row counter at first when learning this stitch.
You will see in my test sample, the first section I did was knitted closer together, and the upper section was looser. That is because I had made a mistake, and needed to get the two extra rows between my cross-overs. The top part of the sample is correctly spaced.

Here is a cropped photo showing only the Plait Stitch:
Notice how the upper section is looser,due to needing 2 rows between all cross-overs.This is the correct version. The lower section shows the stitch done too tightly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 05:25:24 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009 12:46:46 PM »

I finished the hat! It worked out to fit my daughter, head measurements 22". I am editing the instructions on Reply#2. Here's how it looks... I'm now doing another with a size 8 needle, and only 94 stitches, same yarn.
I intend it to be a size larger, but of course the guage is looser.
So, here's the first hat... It's hard to see the mini mock cable, but it's there.Sorry for the slightly blurred photos!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 01:18:10 PM by KLKing - Reason: Added Photos for hat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009 12:47:27 PM »

This space reserved for project notes Grin
Edit 1/07/10
Tonight I am going to cast on for the sweater.(With left-over tweed yarn)
 My first test will be to : see if 216 stitches will work for a circular knit of a sweater measuring, gently stretched, 38 inches. Front and back. Since I have about 2 or 3 ounces left, I will just use this to get my stitch count worked out.
The second hat, size 8 needles came out great. It went a lot faster than the first one, looser, but also with less stitches.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 06:43:43 PM by KLKing - Reason: correction on stitch number. NOT 432! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009 04:14:30 PM »

Please go back over first posts, I have added some stitch samples and guage detail info! Grin
I hope I can get someone interested in doing this hat with me...
If you want to use the RED Heart Yarn, here's the stitch counts:
I will put them in the first post also.
size 6 needles: Complete pattern... 22 stitches =4" across
                     Stockinette Stitch: 9 stitches = 2"
                     Row count: 6 rows = 1"
Size 8 needles:
                     Stockinette stitch: 4 stitches = 1
                     Row count: 5 rows = 1"

***I am giving so much detailed info, because I found that the cable patterns, the ribbing, and stockinette stitch all use up a different amount of yarn, and measure up differently.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 04:34:51 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010 02:32:12 PM »

I just posted the hat pics in post#4, and re-wrote the hat instructions. They should be easy to follow now.
This pattern can be easily adapted to incorporate other cable patterns, just make sure your numbers divide up evenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MagickDragonfly
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010 08:11:36 AM »

Thank you! I have been doing nothing but working on some mittens to use up my stash and have some things to donate for the Christmas Drives in 11months, but I have been wanting to put down the mittens and back away from them for a day or two now and work on some hats. I will try this out later on tonight.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010 11:36:45 AM »

Cool! Just keep in mind that the yarn I used is of a smaller guage. I think this hat is easy, but you may have to adjust a stitch or two... After the k2p2 ribbing, you want the cable section to be even. I keep getting thrown by a stich or two in the pattern ending up with k's on each end.
Seems like it's a multiple of 10, plus 4(Plus 2 more for straight needles)
That way, you go like this: circular needles, 16"... k2,p3,k2,p3...
or straight needles...(k3*p3,k2,p3,k2*p4)
Take a look at my guage calculations for RED HEART YARN.
I am currently knitting this hat again with the same fisherman's yarn, but with size 8 needles. It seems that the 93(95) stitches is going to give me the larger size. to fit my uncle's 23" head.
Good luck! I can't wait to see your results!
If your pattern count is off a tiny bit, don't be afraid to work in the extra stitches just inside the edges. That's what I ended up doing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010 11:42:35 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Transparency in an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Text Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...