A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 456
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2010-CLOSED--Join us in the 50 Projects 2011  (Read 309894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ostera15
« Reply #1680 on: February 18, 2010 02:29:03 PM »

Thanks for posting the link to the toothbrush rug. Neat idea I may have to add that to my list. I keep adding more and more things to my list, I'm adding more then I'm completing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: February 18, 2010 02:54:09 PM »

What is a toothbrush rug?

Ditto! You have me very curious..... Smiley

A toothbrush rug is a type of rug you make with a tool.  Usually people make their own tools rather than buying them, and old toothbrushes make a great tool, so that's where they get the name.

Here's a link that shows some pics and stuff.  It's where I learned to do it.   Grin

Ohhhh...gotcha.  What exactly is the toothbrush for?  It said something in that post about pushing the fabric through?  I used a giant crochet hook and got the same results as pictured.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 18, 2010 03:06:21 PM »

smuckers--what do you do with your stamp prints? How large are they?  I love them!

see what we learn from here....toothbrush rug...

yay ostera! You will do just fine...believe me...it is really simple and will give you confidence to do ones of your own! Be sure to post in the discussion...I think everyone there is excited to see what everyone else is doing with this project!

The block prints are 8.5x11 so it's just like having a drawing of a painting. I plan to hang four of them together...someday Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1683 on: February 18, 2010 03:19:01 PM »

What is a toothbrush rug?

Ditto! You have me very curious..... Smiley

A toothbrush rug is a type of rug you make with a tool.  Usually people make their own tools rather than buying them, and old toothbrushes make a great tool, so that's where they get the name.

Here's a link that shows some pics and stuff.  It's where I learned to do it.   Grin

Ohhhh...gotcha.  What exactly is the toothbrush for?  It said something in that post about pushing the fabric through?  I used a giant crochet hook and got the same results as pictured.

That's basically the same thing, you just need a tool to be able to get through the layers of fabric and pull your strand through the hole.  When I get some pics of my rug today I will also show you the tool I have.  It's not a toothbrush, it's just a wire coat hanger bent into a loop and closed with masking tape in the middle to make a small end and a big end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: February 18, 2010 04:32:15 PM »

Okay, time for pics!  First up, my toothbrush rug and the tool I use...

As you can tell, the smaller end isn't exactly a smooth loop.  But it hasn't snagged any of my fabric strips or poked any holes, so it works.

See?  A few more rounds and it would be perfect for the bathroom. 

And ta-da...here it is...the quilt!

That's the back (duh).  You can see the quilting lines.  I just stitched in the ditch along every long row.

If you look closely you will see that there's no binding yet and that I still need to trim off the extra batting and backing.  But first, I have to decide if I'm done quilting; I am tempted to go back in and quilt more within each row, with the matching color thread, but I am also afraid of causing overkill or worse, messing it up so that I hate it.  Right now I love every inch of it, but I don't know. 

For the binding, I'm either going to do rainbow pieces scrapped together, or use the white flannel I bought for the back.  I have to admit that I am terrified of the binding.  I have been reading every tut I can get my hands on (including Heather Bailey's infamous one) and watched all kinds of youtube vids on it.  I really think I may just curve the corners instead of trying to miter them, as that is the place where I have the problems.  Either that, or piece together another quilt (like a doll size one) to practice, practice practice on...oh, decisions, decisions!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1685 on: February 18, 2010 04:34:55 PM »

Both projects rock so much!  So pretty and cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
lady4feet
« Reply #1686 on: February 18, 2010 05:06:57 PM »

Love the quilt!

Thanks for the rug link, I may need to add it to my list errr well maybe next years list lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 18, 2010 05:47:49 PM »

I love both those projects, I like how the white is interspersed with the color on the quilt.  That rug link came at just the right time; within the last two days, my grandma and my roommate both gave me literally garbage bags full of t-shirts to make yarn from.  It can't just be coincidence...a toothbrush rug is destined to be born...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: February 18, 2010 06:03:55 PM »

I'm so glad you guys like the quilt!  And the rug too, of course.  I am not crazy about the rug myself, but I am loving the new one I started.  They are really therapeutic.  Post pics if you guys do make them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1689 on: February 18, 2010 06:21:44 PM »

bethieb--you completed such a HUGE project and it is only February!!

I would do the same white as a binding so as not to distract from the rainbow quilt...There is a craftster member here that taught me how to do the easiest binding ever...let me see if I can find her to see if she ever did a tutorial...nope but I found this one

http://oldredbarnco.blogspot.com/2009/06/quilt-along-week-7.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 06:44:52 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 456 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Out of Your Winter Style Rut
How to Master Leggings in 3 Looks
How to Wear Sequins Like a Boss
How to Look White Hot in White Denim
Trend Report - Prints
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...