A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 456
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2010-CLOSED--Join us in the 50 Projects 2011  (Read 304196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SharLaMarz
Crafting is my therapy

I have craft ADD

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 04, 2010 10:21:33 PM »

I love the seahorse, it's amazingly beautiful! You are so talented with those buttons of yours. Do you buy your buttons as you need them or do you have a huuuge stash you choose from?

Well, I had a very productive day although I didn't craft anything! LOL  I made my weekly trip to a couple thrift stores and I'm glad I did. I'd about given up on finding a bowling ball for my garden gazing ball project, so I didn't even ask the ladies there if they'd gotten one in. Well lucky me they got TWO and saved them for me! WooHoo! One ball came in a small fabric bag and the other came in a big sturdy bag that has a wire rack in it. I'm so excited because I'll be able to use it as a stand when the gazing ball is finished. A little paint and it will work great! Check it out!

The next thrift store I went to I found this awesome bowl with a really neat base

Guess what??? It's strong enough to hold the other bowling ball!!

How great is that?? I am so excited over my great finds today!!  Grin Grin
I went and bought all the glass flat back marbles/blobs (everyone has a different name for them lol) and I got my E6000 glue that everyone talks so highly about  Cheesy  I'm tackling these tomorrow! Go Me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2010: 100/50

My wist: http://www.wists.com/SharLaMarz

Contact me for a personal swap!
evilSabina
« Reply #3081 on: May 05, 2010 04:13:27 AM »

What a great idea soorawn!  Nowadays you almost have to be your own medical detective!!  It would also help to see if it is a pattern of some sort...I know I would have the weather that day (I have arthritis flares so weather is important, I know!)...what my stress level was and what was causing stress...maybe if I ate something new...I think it could be modified to record what you need!

Great idea! I would include everything you ate and when. Stuff you've been eating for years can still negatively impact your health. And maybe check your home for environmental factors, like mold. You may be more sensitive than other members of your household.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3082 on: May 05, 2010 06:21:15 AM »

Love the aprons and the quilts!

Waggonwest--are the 5 completed quilt projects new for May or did you include them in your April count?

I am assuming that stuff you are posting now everyone is for the May contest, so keep count so we can agree on numbers at the end of the month!

OMg sharlamarz!!!  Your thrift store finds are great!  Even the bag is wonderful and would make a great recon! I didn't even think about using glue to put the mosaic pieces on!  Dang...I was going to use mortar...sure would be easier with glue then grout!!  I have had my bowling ball since I was 13 so I am a bit reluctant to start on that garden project...but as hubby says, realistically, am I going to ever bowl again and if I do, I can use a house ball! Cheesy

Just so that you know, I went to the garden center and priced glazing balls--holy mackeral! They go for around $40!!! and up!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
cursive_queen
« Reply #3083 on: May 05, 2010 06:32:24 AM »

wagonswest - your quilts are lovely!  I really like the wedding quilt as the blocks appear randomly placed.  I like that look, but I can't work out how to do that... my brain seems to rigid and starts making patterns.
I'd practice the free motion on maybe a small quilt, then do your ME quilt.   Remember it's for you to love, and you may love it all the more if you do the quilting yourself Smiley

You said in your post you send stuff to the quilter, do you have a quilter to recommend?  I have a top that I'm scared to quilt as it has vintage fabrics that I would probably ruin (leave holes in) if I had to unpick messed up stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest

« Reply #3084 on: May 05, 2010 06:50:26 AM »

Always,  I am starting my May count with the learning how to free motion.  So only one so far. 

Cursive,  Thanks.  The pattern is not random on the wedding quilt.  I started with the fabrics in strips to do a traditional diagonal pattern (like the baby quilt)

abcdeabcdeabcde row 1
bcdeabcdeabcdea row 2
cdeabcdeabcdeab row 3

but shifted two blocks instead of one. 

abcdeabcdeabcde row 1
cdeabcdeabcdeab row 2
eabcdeabcdeabcd row 3

With those particular fabrics it worked.  I tried to lay out the baby quilt fabrics in the same way, but the contrast was too great and it just looked stupid. 

In the past I have gone to my local quilt shop and they have done a fine job.  I've taken my brother's quilt to a local lady who does amazing and creative work.  She does the Sunpaint Project quilts and they are stunning.  I'm thinking about sending the boxes quilt top to the Missouri Quilt Company for their standard, nothing special, two week service just to see how it works.  But only because I put enough work into it to not want to mess it up by trying it myself yet not enough work to warrant getting special service.)  If I do that, it will be the first time I've not gotten a referral from some one I know and trust and haven't seen samples of the work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3085 on: May 05, 2010 06:53:44 AM »

You guys!!!  I have been quilting for over 40 years and I still mess up, but I swear, once you wash the quilt, and it become quilty, you really do not notice any crooked stitches or "mistakes"...I just don't think you can make a mistake unless you are submitting your quilt for a show or something! Cheesy

Cursive_queen--I understand your concern about the vintage fabrics...would you consider quilting it by hand?  It would definitely be a labor of love...many Amish quilting groups will quilt by hand for a fee...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
cursive_queen
« Reply #3086 on: May 05, 2010 07:11:09 AM »

wagonswest.  I didn't know if you did it random or it was a technique, I love that it does look sorta random, it gives if a free flowing vibe. I'm sort of amassing a list of quilt places I could possibly send my quilt to as I don't know of any local ones.

Alwaysinmyroom -- I've never hand quilted before, besides tying.I don't know how to.  Its a quilt for my oldest stepdaughter.  It had a geshia panel in the middle, then the boarder fabrics are all from scraps of vintage kimonos and there are like 3 blocks on which I did hand embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3087 on: May 05, 2010 07:14:55 AM »

Shar, if the E6000 doesn't work, use construction adhesive.  It's made for outdoor stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3088 on: May 05, 2010 07:18:17 AM »

I work a lot with vintage kimono fabrics--they are quite sturdy...I recently did a panel which will be machine quilted by another Craftster member... Hand quilting is basically a small running stitch using a short needle...since it is Asian, have you ever looked into sashiko embroidery/quilting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
cursive_queen
« Reply #3089 on: May 05, 2010 07:38:35 AM »

Always-  Good to hear that the fabrics are sturdy.  They sure don't look it!  The ones I have are all different textures and types of cloth an some look very thin and fragile.

That sachiko is beautiful, but I would be so nervous that I'd mess it up.  Do you use a hoop when you hand quilt like you would when you embroider?  I know I've seen big quilting frames.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 456 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Handcrafted Soap Artist La Shonda Tyree
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 2/2
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 1/2
How to Crochet a Snowflake Part 2/2
Making Art from Seeds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...