A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 312,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrug pattern  (Read 1771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 02, 2009 07:04:45 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm a bigger girl and I'm getting married in 17 days. I need to find a way to cover up my rather large upper arm area. I bought multiple shrug patterns from McCall's & Burda but the arms are way too small. Burda's patterns only had a 13 1/2 inch circumference on their size 20 (I don't see how that's right), and McCall's had a 16 1/2 circumference on their size 18 (the biggest one they had). All my store bought shrugs are size 20 and my upper arm circumference is 19 1/2 inches. I tried to alter the pattern & failed miserably! I could go with more or a caplet style cover up, but I want people to be able to see my dress. Any suggestions or any idea what I can do with the patterns I already have?

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 09:22:24 AM »

i personally would jsut make the arm holes bigger and the sleeve pattern longer(wider) to fit... i hope this helps you and good luck!

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

My Twitter
Le Mieux
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009 12:39:32 PM »

hey, i dont know if something like this might help? its really simple, and you could make it out of any material instead of a tshirt and embellish it to make it more pretty and wedding-y:

good luck! and congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

UK Swap - sent!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009 02:46:18 PM »

I was going to suggest the same as Le Mieux.  I made one for my daughter last night and it was beyond easy.  In fact, it saved one of her shirts I might have had to throw away because I was able to cut out a stain hah.

Happy Wedding, many blessings!

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009 09:06:47 PM »

How about a shawl instead. It can be sheer, like chiffon. I had a wrinkly velvet one for my wedding, and I skipped the veil because I thought a shawl would be flappy enough on its own.
When you wear it like this it looks just like a shrug. The shawl needs to be a long rectangle shape.
I hope you find something.

(found these instructions on internet, explained it much better than I ever could!)http://www.ehow.com/how_4672895_tie-shawls.html

Upscale Tie
Step 1

Drape the shawl over your shoulders. It should fully cover your upper back and shoulders.
Step 2

Wrap the shawl ends around your upper arms.
Step 3

Bring the shawl ends behind your back and knot them loosely. You now have an elegant look that will keep you warm.

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009 12:59:18 PM »

I know the wedding is past, and I'm sure you came up with something beautiful....but I wanted to throw in my two cents....I love love love the shrug pattern from Cut and Keep....

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010 04:43:52 PM »

I agree with bananabanana. Shawls are very pretty! Of course, all brides are pretty on their wedding day! Congratulations!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Incredible Feather Art
Marianne North Gallery in Kew Gardens
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Plumeria Flowers
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...