A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What would you recommend/dress me in?  (Read 1837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 26, 2009 01:51:35 PM »

Hi all,(posted this in the wrong category the first time, woops. What a n00b mistake! lol)

Sewing bug has bitten me big time lately, I've been doing mainly childrens items, and accessories like handbags etc. But now I want a new wardrobe coming into a new season(spring here!). But I'm not hugely up with the fashion trends, whats in, whats not etc.

I'm short - 5'2. Size varies really, I generally choose baggier tops due to my muffin(happens no matter what pants I wear, even if I am wearing no pants, I still have a muffin above my bellybutton. hard to explain, but my bellybutton is actually within the muffin fold. So there is always a muffin effect. Embarassing, I hate it!). But generally around a 20 in tops, if they fit well, but sometimes it might be a 24 just to hide my muffin!
Pants vary, around a 18-22 depending on the type of pants. and the fit.

When it comes to trying to figure out what to wear, I'm clueless. How do I make myself look taller, not shorter etc! lol

So what would you dress a short dumpy younger(early 20's) girl in. I love wide leg pants, and what I am thinking of is making variations of top B from Simplicity 2971, with wide leg pants from Simplicity 3686.
Prefer not to do singlets/tanks due to the chubby arms! lol.

Would love opinions guys  Cool
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009 11:25:31 AM »

I'd be interested to know too as I am in the same boat as you, only with super ginormous boobs I should really have downsized but can't afford the surgery.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009 01:23:58 AM »

Haha, big boobs here too, DD to E.

I finished simplicity pants 3686 today, LOVE them. they hug in all the right places. I cut out a size 22, but did an extra wide seam allowance to take them in, so it made them a size 20 judging by how much I took them in. I am just so happy with them, and they look wonderful on!

Now just to find tops that suit. Hopefuly 2917 will work
JnS Mom
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009 04:03:57 PM »

Hmm, well it's kinda hard to give advice without pics. We tend to see our bodies differently than an outsider. I find that I tend to magnify my negative areas more so than they truly are--so, kinda distorted.

I'm 5'2'' tall too. Well, I got half an inch more than that, but that's it. My build though--I come off as taller. I don't have rounded hips, they are more 'straight' up & down (still HUGE though at 47"), just don't really LOOK huge though. I also have ginormous boobs. And a big belly, but my boobs are bigger, so in relation, my belly is small. lol

I've found that any v-neck tops thin me out, as do long or 3/4 length sleeves. I <3 3/4 length sleeves. Covers upper arm flab, but still shows off the slimmer forearms.

For covering up a muffin top/belly, I find things like empire waists or something that has skims a bit along the boobs & is a bit looser on the tummy works. See, this is where it gets hard. Due to my boobs, if something fits there, and skims down, can't see my belly. Someone with smaller boobs might have a different problem.

The other HUGE thing is fabric. I HATE HATE HATE thin jersey. Any thin fabric with stretch, actually. Clings to bumps like crazy. 100% cotton doesn't cling, thick jersey in a flowy design doesn't cling.

As for wide leg pants--dunno. I don't look good in them. Boot cut is the perfect fit for me--not too loose (looks like I'm wading through a denim stream!) but not super icky tight either.

For looking taller--match colors in terms of if you are wearing a dark bottom, wear a dark top. They don't need to be the same color, but in the same 'shade'? Like, black pants, saphire top. Pretty much avoid anything that cuts your body apart into two distinct pieces. Like a white top & black pants= BAD.

For skirts, anything right at the knee is good, or right at the ankles. For me though. Anything in the calf area makes me look stumpy because the skirt cuts me visually in two unequal halfs.

See, a lot of it is body type. I'm an apple. Voluminous bottoms actually look good on me. I have the boobage to balance it out. Things like belts around the waist are very bad for me because they emphasize the belly.

I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009 09:05:09 AM »

Your on the right track with wide leged pants.  Anything that comes straight off the hips and straight down, not clinging to your legs, will give you a more lean appearance.  Also pointy shoes, this continues the line down with the eye, giving you some height also.  Tops, empire waist, with some flow, ending at the waist, anything below that will cut you off, and make you look odd.  ITA with the light jersey comment, it will cling where you don't want it too.  Also faux wrap tops and dresses will give you a nice line too.   You want to stay away from baggy, in the end you don't really hide anything and you will look bigger than you are, frumpier than you are and prolly older than you are, the three things no one  wants  Undecided

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009 12:52:24 PM »

I also am short, very busty and sporting that lovely muffin around the middle.  I am a fan of empire-waisted shirts....but not too tight under the boobs otherwise the look twice as big AND I look pregnant.  *L*  And I can weqr them made of knit (I am a big knit fan but it tends to accentuate the muffininess of my tummy).

If you find a good pattern let us know...I'm currently obsessed with this one (with some size modification for the "girls" of course *L*)

Happy sewing!

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009 05:35:11 AM »

Sounds like you've got a similar build to me.  I wouldn't want to comment regarding tops, since I have big BIG boobs and most of my time is spent making sure anything I wear fits those rather than anything else!  But, if you do feel uncomfortable with the way trousers fit, I would recommend looking for/sewing clothes with a higher waist on them.  I have found that with the trends for low-cut jeans a lot of trousers tend to dig in a little.  The problem is that, although a lot of women curve around into the top of their hips, the low-cut trousers are designed with the inner curve hitting the widest part of the hip. 

Does anyone else have the problem where a pair jeans that are either the "right" size or a size larger will dig in at the tummy and then leave 2-3 inches spare fabric at the back of the waist?  I have found that jeans bought from Europe tend to fit better- got a pair of jeans for 10 at a market in Spain that fit better than any Ive bought before.

I finally have a wist!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peach Lassi Recipe
Potato Salad Recipe
How to Make Pepper Steak
Reba Nira Recipe
Saba Misoni Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...