A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,460
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TRYING MY HAND AT CLAY TO MAKE JEWELRY  (Read 901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MICHELEIGH34
Michele Raving Queen of the Freaks!

OH! I CAN be AWESOME!

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010 05:07:40 AM »

so I have a problem if someone else can do it so can I!  so when I see everyone sculpting with clay I think I can totally do that...here  are my first attempts at jewelry and I am pleased for the most part..

This is my Jack Valentine choker and I think he turned out cool, the camera makes him a little shinier than he is.

and his noodly appendages...all hail the flying spaghetti monster...this is my favorite .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010 07:00:36 AM »

I like em! FSM is so cute! RAmen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilmaycraft
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010 07:22:31 AM »

OMG! I love your Flying Spaghetti Monster! That is awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 10:07:41 AM »

so I have a problem if someone else can do it so can I!  

Ummm... that's a problem???  Cheesy Cool Cheesy

so when I see everyone sculpting with clay I think I can totally do that

Of course you can!  And your pieces are nice too.

There are a few things you might not know yet about polymer clay though that might lead to problems.

For one, it looks like you might be using the line of polymer clay called SuperSculpey (translucent-flesh colored, in a 1 lb box) though I can't tell with the skull one since it's painted over.  
Three of the lines** of polymer clay under the "Sculpey" brand (manufactured by Polyform) are weak though after baking in any places where they're thin or projecting, and your monster-legs and skull hearts are definitely thin.  Those areas will break if they're stressed very much (even if they've been baked a long time which can increase strength some in all polymer clays).  There are ways to make those 3 lines stronger though, like using an armature (perhaps wire in this case) inside the clay legs/hearts, or putting the whole monster onto a flat background piece made with a stronger brand/line, or by at least mixing with a stronger brand/line (that may not be enough though), and other ways.  

**original Sculpey (boxed), SuperSculpey-flesh (boxed), Sculpey III (colors, 2 oz packages)
...FimoSoft is not as bad as those three, but still not as strong as brands/lines like Premo, FimoClassic, Kato Polyclay, Cernit, and SuperSculpey-Firm

It's worth noting that not many of the brands/lines can take too much stress though when there are a lot of projecting-thin-ropey shapes.  The stronger brands would just bend if they were in thin sheets (and at least for awhile if in thin-ropey shapes) rather than break or snap off like the weaker ones.

And btw, there's a lot more that can be done with polymer clay besides "sculpting", or at least in conjunction with sculpting or shaping:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/info_letter.htm
Polymer clay can also be used with many other materials (mixing media), and many of it's fun techniques and looks have also been generalized from other crafts, just as a few examples. 
Check out the Table of Contents page at my polymer clay "encyclopedia" site for a loooong listing of lots of things that are possible (including lessons, examples, tips, etc) and where they'd be found at my site--and at other sites as well from my links:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

P.S.  You might want to post your next pieces on the Polymer Clay board Grin here at Craftster (the Completed Projects sub-board):
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=238.0

Diane B.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 10:37:57 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
The History of Sweetheart Candies
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...