A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Sun Jars as Christmas Gifts w/ Tutorial (Picture Heavy)  (Read 2720 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vraedwulf
« on: December 27, 2009 03:54:31 PM »

In my family, all the women over the age of 18 do a Christmas Present Swap. In the swap, instead of trying to think up a unique idea for each person, you come up with a single idea and create a bunch of that one idea.

See last years gifts here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=288564

See my mom's gifts for this year here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332071.0

This year I remembered how hard it was to come up with a unique idea for each journal and I wanted to do something that would end up being a little easier. So as I was cruising the internet looking for ideas, I stumbled across several DIY sites that talk about creating a homemade "Sun Jar".  This just seemed so cool and very impressive so I decided to make this my project this year! (Please forgive the poor quality pictures. I only had my phone to take them with as my camera is dead)

Lit and Unlit

The idea of Sunjars is that they have a solar panel to collect energy during the day and then they turn on and glow all night.

-------Begin Tutorial---------

I started by looking at what would be needed. Since I planned to make about 20 Sun Jars, I worked up this list of materials:
Solar Garden Lights (x20)
Glass Jars (x20)
Hot Glue gun and sticks
Glass Frosting Spray
Decorative Ribbon

I started by ordering the Solar Garden Lights online. I looked in several places trying to find the cheapest lights I could because I had to be able to afford to buy 20 of them. Eventually I found these at Amazon.com for about $3.00ea.

A closer view of what the individual units looked like:

To disassemble the units, I had to twist the clear plastic piece off the top of the black top piece. At this point the bottom looked like this:

And the top looked like this:

I opened the battery door and removed the rechargeable battery to use later, and removed the three screws to open the unit up. The inside looked like this on the top:

(You can see the housing for the battery above and the simple circuit board in the center)

and this on the bottom:

(You can see the back of the Solar panel and the light sensor to the right of it)

Each of the four pieces had to be removed from the black plastic. I carefully pried the circuit board out of the pieces holding it, I used a razor knife to cut the plastic around the battery housing, I used a knife to score the glue around the solar panel so I could press it out from the otherside and I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the light sensor out of the hot glue. After all the pieces were liberated, I used a Hot Glue Gun to attach them to each other, the battery housing to the back of the solar panel, and the circuit board and light sensor onto the battery housing. When assembled, it looked like this:

(You can see the LED sticking off the top of the circuit board, which is glued on top of the battery housing, which is glued on top of the back of the solar panel. The sensor is not pictured.)

Repeat until they are all assembled:

(I used a charged battery to test each assembly at this point to ensure that nothing had been damaged)

The next step was to frost the jars, which I got from Ikea. I got the "Slom" jar in the 17oz size for $3.00ea. These jars are made from glass and have a water-tight seal, which means my completed sun jars can live outside on a porch safely. I used Valspar Glass Frosting spray to coat the inside of the jars after rubber banding a garbage bag around the jars to protect the outside of the jars from the spray. (I thought about simply spraying the outside of the jars, but the spray can states that the frosting effect can be scraped off with a thumbnail, so I sprayed the inside of the jars for the sake of longevity). When the frosting spray was applied in three coats and allowed to dry, the jars looked like this:

Once all the jars were sprayed, it was time to glue the assembled guts into the jars. I used Hot glue to accomplish this by gluing the four corners of the solar panel onto the inner flange of the jar lid. When completed, it looked like this:

(The LED easily clears the lip on the far edge as the lid is closed.)

I was concerned about how well the hot glue would be able to hold the assembly into the jar, so I took a completed jar and dropped it onto a carpeted floor from about chest height. The assembly didn't move in the jar, so I feel confident that the jars could be accidentally kicked or pushed off the rail of a porch onto the grass below without breaking the jar.

To add the finishing touches, I tied a ribbon around the outside of the jar with a cute little bow. I also included a tag that explained what the jar does. I charged the batteries and installed them on Christmas morning so they would be at full power when they were presented.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 04:39:46 PM by vraedwulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatamandamade
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009 04:56:46 PM »

what a great idea they look so much better in jars. wish i was part of your gift swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDeJa
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 07:05:34 PM »

These are neat ... looks like a complicated process!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 07:06:03 PM by CraftyDeJa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
Esjay82
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009 07:19:54 PM »

awww i have always loved the idea of sun jars, such a great idea for your gift exchange.. probably something nobody else would thing of! I think they make a really cute gift, i'm so impressed that u managed to find the bits you needed and were able to make it yourself.. it seems so simple to me now! i'm so tempted to make one for myself or as gifts!! great job!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010 12:40:21 PM »

Wow, I really love that!  I think those would be such great gifts.  I need to remember these for next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
African American Hair: Mohawk Hairstyle, Foxy Rihanna Mohawk
Hair Highlighting Tips - Aftercare
Highlighting Part Hair and Applying Color
How to Prepare for Hair Highlighting
Hair Highlighting Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...