A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you get started?  (Read 2085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KyleSmith
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009 12:24:54 PM »

I crocheted first. Not sure completely what got me into that, but i've always liked making things myself. One of my best friends and i were taught by her mother. I kept with it and my friend didn't. I ended up learning to knit from the internet (thank you knittinghelp.com! haha). The reason i wanted to learn how to knit was from seeing the super mario villian scarf on here and the skull illusion scarf on ravelry. The mario scarf though really did it for me, and i know i could've crocheted it but i just don't think it would've looked as good so i taught myself to knit. Oddly enough though i haven't even tried any real colorwork to learn the skills for the mario scarf, but my first project was the skull illusion scarf and my second was the irish hiking scarf, i haven't actually finished either project yet, i have about a dozen projects started though haha. Been knitting for about a year now with about 6 months of not picking up any yarn. Just cast on a scarf for my brother's christmas present on friday and should be finishing that up tonight though. Smiley i didn't realize how much i missed knitting actually and i'm glad to be back Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onelastminuet
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009 05:15:34 PM »

My mom first taught me how to knit when I was 8, I wanted a new sweater and she thought I could learn how to knit... It didn't work out, I only kept with it for like < 10 rows. I picked up knitting again in 2006 and used the same yarn (frogged the 'sweater') and made my mom a scarf. And then I picked up crocheting and stayed with that for a while and then recently got back to knitting. I'm not very good at it, but I can decrease and increase (sort of) and knits and purls..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michelle
http://imaginarysunshine.com - personal blog
http://chelle-chelle.com - crafts blog/site
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009 01:46:35 PM »

A friend taught me how to knit on a bus trip my sophomore year in high school.  Her grandmother had taught her the knit stitch, and she didn't really know anything other than that.  My first project was a horrific fun fur scarf that I now affectionately refer to as Gonzo due to the crazy amounts of blue fur.  And it's about a foot wide in some places, because I kept adding stitches.  Strangely enough, that friend stopped knitting as far as I know soon after she taught me, but I joke that she created a monster in me.  I used knittinghelp.com to learn to purl, increase, decrease, etc. and have now completed all sorts of projects.  Recently, college got in the way and I stopped knitting for several months, but I'm really trying to spend more time on it with some manageable projects like scarves and socks.  Even though intricate sweaters end up looking really great, they would take me months to complete with my current schedule!  I just taught one of my best friends to knit, and I'm really hoping she latches onto it like I have  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Fixes With Kelly Lee
Three Takes on the Printed Pants Trend
Olivia Wilde Shows Us How to Rock a T-Shirt
Style Sound-Off: Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Beyonce
How to Find the Perfect Pair of Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...