A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What made you start crafting?  (Read 3616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AGFH
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010 06:31:11 PM »

I am a life-long crafter. I was born in 1965 and my parents were most def. of the hippy persuasion. My mom made all of our clothes and I was taught to sew doll clothes from the scraps. She also was big into crafting anything and everything. Why buy it when you can make it yourself was her motto. She cooked, sewed, painted, gardened, paper crafted, beaded, etc etc etc...
My father was a singer/bass/guitar player in a band and he designed all of his and his band mates clothes and then my mom made them. Fringe galore!!!
Also my grandmother owned a ceramics studio and taught classes daily. I learned all about that when I was tiny and made a zillion different things.
Add the fact that I started school in 1970, the height of the hippy types time. My teachers were ALL big on crafting. I remember making those balloon string eggs for easter, purses out of popcicle sticks, egg carton caterpillars, painting by the reams, sculptures of all kinds. I went to school in a little town and I think all of the school's money went to craft supplies as we did crafts pretty much every day.....LOL!

Growing up this way shaped my entire life.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
Craftycupiduk
Craftycupid

Art craft and creative living- smiling also works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010 05:46:21 AM »

I live away from friends and family when I became unemployed, Iyar days and days of looking for jobs, sorting throughthe clutter in our house and planning an itenary for our holiday that Christmas. All good things but weren't making me happy, they were just things 'i had to do' to get by, make it feel like I was getting something done.

That was untill I started to make Christmas cards with the scraps I had. Each one would be different; sequins, drawings, fabric- whatever was around. Each time I did one I got the feeling of 'oh my god I made this!' then I laid them out on the table and showed my bf who liked them too!

Overtime I've realised 'i can actually make things'. I never would have been the type before, I sure know why I was never good at math- I am better at creating things!

Alice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alice
Earthie

Baby Jayne: Born 2-26-11

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010 03:38:29 PM »

The summer I turned 9 years old (I'm 48 now), I went to visit my auntie who taught me to crochet. My first project was making a baby sweater, which IMHO turned out quite nice. Years later, my new MIL handed me a needle and thread, and said, "Here, make small stitches around these fabric squares", and that's when I fell in love with quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I'd known having grandchildren was so much fun, I would've had them first!
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010 01:29:37 PM »

Definitely my family. I was artistic/crafty for as far back as I can remember. Mom crocheted (a little) and baked, Aunt G does embroidery and beading, Aunt K (who is an architect) knits, decorates cakes, scrapbooks and sews, Oma (who was a graphic designer) did woodwork, sewing, and technical drawing. I remember drawing being my first love with crocheting quickly following. Mom's boyfriend would bring me home from work those reams of printer paper that were perforated connected together. I always wanted to know how to do everything, and they taught me. In high school I fell in love with ceramics, and it is my ART Edu concentration in college right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
Kitty_Catty
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010 07:48:09 PM »

I was always a crafty child - making stupid things like costumes for my pets - our poor dog got dressed up on many occasions courtesy of me - we have a photo of him dressed up as the easter bunny in some cardboard ears and a fluffy tail! Thanksfully my efforts are a little more sophisticated these days (well mostly!).

My mum and nan and aunts all did alot of crafts so I guess it just got passed down the family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010 01:41:06 PM »

My mom was big on me doing art, which i loved, and i took art classes every summer for years. The crafts/art stopped when I hit 11, but i would do random projects every once in awhile. Now I'm a young married stay at home mom far away from anyone i know so I picked up crafts as what I call my "sanity" time Smiley I think I drive my husband crazy with it sometimes because I get bored so easily that I'm always starting new projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paperface
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011 02:08:20 AM »

I can't remember how i started painting, I've just always done it, but with knitting i say my nan doing it and wanted her to show me how. She taught me when i was about 7, after a while i stopped doing it and recently I've started again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks
Alvia
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011 12:22:24 PM »

I don't know really, my genes probably. I come from a very crafty and handy family and I have crafted since before I remember myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make the Base for a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...