A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What made you start crafting?  (Read 2837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2009 01:29:04 PM »

For me it all started in middle school when I saw my first duct tape wallet. I thought it was amazing and found a book about duct tape projects. I ended up picking crafts back up over the summer of this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010 03:07:51 PM »

My grandmother got me started crafting- My earliest crafting memory was at age 4 crafting A Dog armchair ashtray holder-he was made from My Grandmother's  leopard print coat- had a tuna or cat food can on his back to hold a small glass ash tray and beans in the legs to weigh it down and hold it steady on the arm's chair- it was a gift for my grandfather
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010 04:50:13 AM »

I think it was probably either playing with sailor moon paper dolls back in the day - i would draw my own dresses, etc. for them - or (since i had a long lapse in the middle) seeing art attack for the first time and totally falling in love with his PVA glue & toilet paper master creations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
vinnie451
Onna Otaku

Craft or Die!

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010 09:08:38 AM »

I can't remember not crafting. My mom was a firm beleiver that art was very important. Also I was nosy and always wanted to help her craft. She likes to tell the story about me asking for paper at christmas when I was very young. A friend of hers got me a reem of pink paper and it was the best gift ever.

I was also very ambitios with crafting when I was little. I just assumed I could do whatever my mom could. The first stuffed animal I made was a denim unicorn with jointed legs. It would be a challenge for me today, I can't imagine what I was thinking at age 8.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now With Craft Blog - http://vinnie451craft.blogspot.com/

"Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great art can come from anywhere." Ego, Ratatouille
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010 11:57:07 AM »

I did all sorts of random craft projects in childhood and adolescence but never thought of them as my hobby.  When I went to college I tried to be an "artist" in a traditional sense, but that didn't work out.  I learned a lot about paint and clay but didn't think I would ever have a passion for it.

Then when I was 20 a friend in grad school had a box of artist stamps, really odd and subversive ones.  She got me into it and would have me over to de-stress by making cards or napkins or frames with her stamps.  That's when I went from my primary hobby of reading to being a crafter.  Today if you ask me what I do (outside of a job) the first this out of my mouth is crafting.  Sometimes I feel like an artist...when I have something to communicate through materials.  Most often I'm just a good old crafter making stuff with stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyxmalia
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 08:22:49 AM »

I remember being really little when my family bought us a "craft box" with TONS of things in it...popsicle sticks, feathers, foam pieces, pens, markers, little wooden shapes...and every Christmas, they'd buy more things to add to it.  So it was all downhill from there!

Since then, I've become an avid writer and I incorporate my writing in my crafts and vice-versa.  There is no greater feeling than creating something that is truly genuine of my own thoughts and creative abilities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
DarklyCrafty
Unusual Crafter

Beware: This crafter bites

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010 02:06:02 PM »

I remember popscicle stick crafts. I built a house out of popscicle sticks once.
I started crafting at an early age, making clothes for my paper dolls. I used to love watching my grandmother sew too. She was amazing. She could look at something, draw up a pattern for it then make it and it would be just as nice as the original. I remember she made me several doll dresses this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blood, sweat, & tears: crafting isn't for the faint of heart.

YKYACW you smile like an idiot because your new love interest informs you that he can sew.
Ivagrovegirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010 05:36:56 AM »

I have always been in 4-H so, i did some craft projects for fair but my first crafting breakthrough was when I went to visit my grandma and she helped me make clothes for my "KIT" doll. That was so fun!! i've been trying to do as well as her ever since.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010 03:50:43 AM »

I have always crafted. but when we were kids we didnt have much money *cue plaintive violin music* so there were never any material to craft with at home, paper and paint and crappy tape was about it, but the funny thing is that I got really good at making something from nothing, the local library had about three books on 'make and do' (as we used to call it then) and I used to devour them. I think that having limitations makes you more creative as you are challenged by what you dont have and have to find a way around it. 

it also turns you into the most ridiculous pack-rat craftsupplies hoarder as an adult. Now that I have cool craft supplies it means that I am often paralysed by not knowing what to do, where to start. ..but no, I dont want to go back to paper and crappy paints!

i started to sew for the same reason, couldnt afford new clothing and so I spent time remaking old clothing and making new stuff out of old fabric/clothing/blankets/curtains/sheets that was around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witchfire
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010 05:01:54 PM »

I was a kid and wanted to make dolls out of EVERYTHING. I was doll crazy as a little girl (which, don't ask why. I was such a tomboy about everything else)....and *coughs* maybe as an adult.

Anyways. My first mediums were tinfoil, string and pipe cleaners, followed by paper doll making. After that I wanted to make accessories and I was alway pretty artsy as a kid. So I bought clay and beads with my meager allowances, and the rest is pretty much history. My family pretty much fed into the habit by buying me craft stuff for birthdays or Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Culture Impacts Design Problem Solving
Why Choose SCAD to Study Industrial Design
How to Find Purpose in a Design Career
What Draws a Creative to Practical Problem Solving
How to Create an Interactive Design Experiences
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...