A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bland Space above Kitchen cabinets!!! help!  (Read 3031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eveamlizya
Lollipop Assassin

Art isn't a hobby...it's a way of LIFE!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2009 10:36:47 AM »

Ok, my fiance and I just bought a new home and I'm slowly but surely getting it to feel like the home we want it to be.  However, in my kitchen (as most other kitchens) there's the 8-in. to 12-in. empty space above the cabinets all the way around.  I've been trying to figure out some way of easily decorating that empty space.  My mom has the same thing in her kitchen and uses fake bunches of ivy and old wine bottles in different shapes, but it just doesn't match my decor...and I'm not a fan of ivy and bottles (the winery feel just doesn't go with my house).  My house is more of the traditional style mixed with contemporary shapes and patterns.  My kitchen is a colonial blue color with cream cabinets and brown slate floors. 
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
 - Eveamlizya
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ardee
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009 07:49:37 AM »

Your theme is a mix of traditional and modern designs right? if I were you I'd place something like kitchen ornaments or figurine stuffs like that to fill the space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathblasters
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009 06:18:46 PM »

Ok this might be too weird but it might work. If you're not into knick knacks, what if you apply one of those wall decals with a saying in the space.  You can find them at Target or there are a few websites that let you customize your own saying or quote (Google "custom wall decal" or something like that).  

Then if your space allows, put some rope light on top of the cabinet (close to the wall corner so no one can see it).  It will add a soft glow and really bring your eye upward making the room look taller.

I did something similar for the built in china cabinet in my dining room only since this is so low, I lighted it from the top instead of below.  I couldn't come up with anything clever for the quote so I just used a generic one.  

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/203065_28Dec09_photo_2_.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Genesis1:1
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010 08:02:16 PM »

i used to display collections on top of my cabinets. It was so refreshing to take it all down and leave it blank.  We put up some decorative crown moulding ,painted an accent color, and called it quits.   if you have a lot of stuff on your counters ,like me, it might be visually busy to put stuff on top of the cabinets as well.  dont want to talk you out of something you really want though Smiley
 I would recommend a few large pieces instead of lots of little things.  Try your hand at painting your own platter to match your taste and display that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Virg
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010 02:33:04 PM »

I like the letters on top of cabinets. 

Kind of like this, but just sitting on top of the cabinet is nice too. 
http://vintageindie.typepad.com/vintage_indie/images/2008/08/18/woodenletters.jpg

Maybe a sweet message, your new name (should you be going the name change route) or "home"  LOL.  Nothing like a label to make a house feel homier. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funtobewith
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010 08:16:08 PM »

You could do various kitchen things... like jars of dry pasta... and big cans of tomato sauce and stuff like that.

Those vinyl letters are nice too, if you find something pretty to affix them to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
ChipNClancysMom

Where Martha Stewart meets Martha Raye!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010 04:53:27 PM »

I store bowls that I actually use up on mine. It is decorative, yet functional. I just keep a small step stool in my pantry and use that when I need to get one down. I do have some Ivy laced through the bowls though..LOL  If I could afford it, I would buy copper pots and keep them up there!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010 12:11:24 PM »

I have done very much the same thing only I collect glass vases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Cancer Survivor Gets the Makeover of Her Dreams
Study: Wearing Sunglasses Makes You More Attractive
How to Cleanse Your Skin
The Astonishing Differences in Beauty Standards Around the World
Why Do Women Shave Their Legs?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...