A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three Very Different Windows in Master Bedroom  (Read 1518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redcleo
« on: September 04, 2009 11:40:58 AM »

We bought our first house this spring (yay!) and are still in love with it four months later. That's good, right? (It's not so much our first house as our only house - we'd like to live here for the next 50 years, give or take.)

It's a 1954 rambler, and so most of the walls are plaster & lathe, so we've been slow to decorate. The master bedroom, however, is in a newer part of the house. Consequently, it has one wall that is drywall, and three that are paneling over brick. But I digress....

At any rate, I'm at the point where I can no longer tolerate the window treatments that were left here by the previous owner. But, as you can see in the pictures below, all three windows are very different.

North half of the room:

South half of the room:

(Excuse the mess - these pictures were taken the first week we lived there. I promise we're more unpacked now.)

As you can see in the first picture, we have one normal window, currently covered with a cream Roman blind. The second photo shows the very large sliding glass door (much, much larger than standard - we can't even find replacement screen material!), and at the very left edge, the third window, which is the most problematic (and I don't have any other pictures of it). My mom has been calling it a garage window, so maybe that's what it is. It's long and narrow, and actually two horizontal rectangles side by side, if that makes sense.

I'm having a really hard time coming up with window treatments that work for each window and yet are somehow all tied together cohesively. There are a lot of ideas that I'm toying with, but rather than bias your minds, I'll let you start with a (mostly) blank slate.

About a month ago, I did purchase some fabric for the normal window. I had decided I wanted to do another Roman blind, but with chocolate dupioni silk. Imagine my joy when I found a piece on the remnant table at Hancock Fabrics for $3/yard! I have about 3 yards of it. (There was much rejoicing and celebrating with DQ that night.)

Here are my preferences for window treatments:
  • No print fabrics
  • Not traditional or formal in the styling
  • Also not country in styling
  • I'm leaning towards using chocolate brown and cream in some combination for the window treatments, mostly because we haven't picked out a color scheme for the room yet, but those would be the neutrals we would go with regardless of other colors (no, the walls aren't staying burgundy)

I'll try to get a picture of that third problematic window and add it in here over the weekend. Like I said, I have tons of ideas and pictures of what I'd like to do, or at least parts of ideas, but wanted to leave the canvas as blank as possible. I'd be happy to throw them out there for critique if y'all would find that more helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 06:33:44 AM »

The silk sounds lovely - it will look stunning in that room!.
That third high window is often called a clerestory window and is fantastic for controlling breezes and airflow. They are often left "undressed" but it can be a problem if you are trying to sleep and the sun (or a streetlight!) shines in. I think a roman blind would look great and still leave you with the option of opening it up when you want to control airflow. Often people use venetian blinds for them but I somehow cant imagine venetians with the rest of your room -may work though Wink. Clerestory windows also look fantastic with shutters in them!
I wonder how it would look if you positioned a furniture item in front of the small,north window to disguise that it is so short, and placed the same window treatment (style) there as in the french door section whether it would make the small window look less out of place?
I love cream but found my cream window treatments let too much light in on a sunday morning when I want to sleep in Cheesy -so that may be an issue depending on our habits and how much morning light you get!
Please keep us updated as to what you do - I would love to see the end result
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 02:01:01 PM »

Kiewiet - Thanks for the ideas and information!

I'm sure that the clerestory window would be great for airflow... if it opened. It's nailed shut from the outside, presumably because the cranks are stripped. The short window is painted shut, and the crank is also stripped. Great, I know. We'll have to get them both replaced next year, but for now... Sad

I had thought about doing two short roman blinds on the clerestory - good to know someone else thought that might be a good idea. We do need to have curtains or something there for two reasons. One, that window is about 5 feet from the neighbor's driveway, and they have a motion-sensitive flood light on their garage that goes off at the most inconvenient times (like when I'm trying to sleep at 2 a.m.). Secondly, it's a first floor bedroom, and the neighbors have two stories, so presumably they could see in to the room, so it's not great for privacy.

This weekend there's a sale on drapery lining at JoAnn (50% off!), so I'm buying lining for all of the future window treatments (estimating, at least). We don't seem to have problems with light coming in the sliding glass door in the mornings with just the sheers that are up now, but it is a south-facing window, so that's probably part of it.

I've thought about putting the bed in front of the shorter window, but that's where the previous owner had it. I also thought about a chest of sorts that could be sat on, kind of an impromptu reading nook, but I'm not sure.  I think I like the idea of Roman blinds on both windows and then drapes on the sliding glass door (versus Roman blinds on just the short window, and then drapes on both the sliding glass door and the clerestory window). Now to figure out colors and so forth....

Again, thanks for the recommendations and great information. I'll have to Google clerestory windows.

If anyone else has any ideas or knowledge to share, I'd love it. I don't think there's such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen at this point. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009 09:33:44 AM »

Are you at all into oriental? You could make a soji panel to cover the little widows. I once saw one with a tree silhouette that was beautiful. You could also continue and make a tall folding soji for in front of the sliding doors. Long flowing curtains can be placed on short windows to try to match and ballance the sliding doors. Another option for the small windows is glass paint or vinyl decals to give some privacy.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little button
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009 03:13:54 AM »

Somethings I would consider:
take the curtain rail on the large windows up to the cornice.
Get a longer rail - the existing one looks to finishes at the the window frame height, you have wall space so when the curtains are open they can be pushed back without covering half the window.
You can get blackout lining or fabric coated with blackout, but they affect the drape.
(have you asked your neighbours if they can adjust the position of the light? - they may not even realise they are causing an issue for you)
maybe sheers as well, to provide some privacy during the day.
The one with a blind on - may want to make one that fits in the frame, rather than covering it up - if it is same as above the bed they are lovely window frames .
You may want to add decorative curtains to tie look into the main windows
The window above the bed looks to not have enough height for a roman blind to be done within the frame 
DO NOT do little curtains for these windows
Maybe roller blinds   

Using same fabric (fully or in part) on each window will tie them in
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gra_go_deo
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009 08:21:46 PM »

What did you decide to do?Huh

I would probably have made oversized curtains that go from ceiling to floor on the mid-sized window to help balance the huge-ness of the patio doors. Then maybe to a faux stained glass or even just put up a canopy and hid the clerestory completely.

I'd love to see pictures of the final product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009 06:19:02 AM »

I'm still undecided. For the clerestory ones, I wanted to do panels with tension rods mounted inside the frame at both top and bottom, but the cranks (that don't work, mind you) get in the way of that. I still plan on making a roman blind for the one window, but since we're going to replace that window next year, and I'll be doing an inside-mount, I'll wait until we have the new window. (We'll also be replacing the clerestory one and the patio door, but they're such strange sizes that we're having trouble finding replacements.)

I may have finally picked a "temporary" paint/color scheme for the room. It sounds boring, but I'm going to do white trim with white walls (but I want the walls to stand out, so they'll be a different tint of white, but not cream). I hope that we can put drywall in this room in a few years, because the wood paneling is pretty crappy and warped in some places. We'll see.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on this board and I'm still considering my options. I do have an idea for a cornice that doesn't look too 1980s or too girly, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off. The whole house is a work in progress, and there's limited time to do things, especially since I'm in school while working full time.

The good news is that the fireplace has been inspected and we can (and do) use it. Also, my husband is in favor of installing a mantle that wraps around, though that won't be for a few years. Unfortunately, he loves the paint color of the walls, and so is not very motivated to help me change that. (I know that lots of people like it, but I don't.) Now I have 13 yards (!) of drapery lining waiting for me to find 10 yards of silk dupioni at a reasonable price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gra_go_deo
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009 03:14:39 PM »

We live in a rental and I want a black/white/gray bedroom. Those were the colors at our wedding and I think they make a timeless statement. Unfortunately, the walls in our house are ALL cream! (except those few spots in the kitchen where the mint green pops through)

So I'm kind of at a loss. I did want to show you what I'm hoping to do on our windows. I have the fabric, so I'm just going to make patterns and make something like this. http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=60447&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=155370e&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=60156|60195&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=7&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=60156|60195|60447

Hope you figure something out. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009 06:28:25 AM »

Very pretty curtains! You should post pictures when you're done!

That's a bummer about the cream walls. Do you plan on staying there a long time? If you do, it might be worth it to ask your landlord if you can paint. I've painted quite a few rentals. Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010 11:56:22 PM »

OOOO! For amazingly cheep silk go to Darma Trader. Most of the fabric is just plain white or off white but you can also buy silk dyes there as well. I bought silk velvet and satin for my wedding dress from Darma and it cost under $100. I hope you have as much luck as I did.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Calligraphy Courses
How to Illustrate a Sphere
How to Paint Building
How to Paint Portraits from Photographs
How to Paint with Watercolor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...