A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
837 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo tent photos...need input please! w/pics & instructions on how I made it!  (Read 925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluejeandreams

I sometimes wish my life had background music.

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2009 06:03:30 AM »

I finally broke down and made a photo tent.  I actually made two-a big one and a little one, but so far only have had success with the little one.  I just grabbed random things to test it out so ignore what the pictures are of.  I would love c&c!  I think they look decent, but I am also on a netbook and maybe they are not.  I noticed that I really should have brushed off the lens cap before trying to take a picture...
Anyways, here are the pictures!  I plan on taking pictures of actual projects and will post links to those too.
Thanks!!

Here is one I lightened...

Here are few more that I took last night.  I really like the one with the rocks.  (Random things, remember?!)

Here are the pictures of my 'photo tent' even though it is really a box!  This one shows the whole thing with the lights in place.  

This one is just one of the lights.  I got them at Walmart for $5 or $6.  The two lights were the only things I bought for this project.  I had everything else...

This shows the inside of the box.  

It is not the prettiest thing to look at, but it gets the job done.  I did have to mess with my camera's setting to take the pictures.  It just wasn't working on the auto setting.

So here is what I did...
I took an empty box and just cut squared out of the top, and two sides.  I then taped white paper over the holes.  (I did have the paper taped on the outside, but I then moved the paper to the inside.)  I then cut a piece of poster board to fit inside the box to curve inside the box.  Added the lights.  I have tried it with one light on the side and one light on top and I think that works the best, but have also put a light on each side.  I even have held on in the front and that works ok too.  Basically that is it on the instructions.  Like I said before, just google 'photo tents' and there will be lots of information too.  I wanted to make one with PVC pipe, but no money to buy it with right now!  
Thanks for looking and input!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 08:21:53 AM by bluejeandreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009 06:44:45 AM »

The first is fine, but the second seems a little dark. Looks like you need more light especially on the front of the object.

How did you make your tent?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeJa
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 10:07:15 AM »

I'd love to see it and know how you made the photo tent. Recently bought a collapsible one but ... you guessed ... once open could not be collapsed. Even the store people couldn't figure it out. Was thinking of making a hinged one out of plywood or mdf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
greenfaerie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009 09:27:02 PM »

I would like to see more light behind the item to make it more 3 dimensional.  Both are a bit underexposed for being in a light tent, too.  Do you have your screen on the netbook calibrated?  If not, your screen may be way too bright when you edit the photos.

But either way, great going on making your own lightbox!  I'd love to see this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
bluejeandreams

I sometimes wish my life had background music.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009 07:13:21 AM »

First of all-thanks for all the comments!  I noticed too that the second one is too dark.  I lightened one up and will post it in a minute. 
Second, I will take pictures of my photo tent in a little while and post those too.  (With a few instruction too.  You can google 'photo tent' and get a lot of results.)  Mine is actually a small cardboard box with white paper.  I might remake it though so that it would be collapsible. 
I am not sure how I would get more light behind the object.  And I am not sure about my screen being calibrated.  How would I know?
Thanks again and keep the comments coming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfaerie
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009 01:39:34 PM »

If you don't know, your screen is not calibrated lol.  You have to use a thing like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525541-REG/Datacolor_S3EL100_Spyder3Elite_Display_Calibration_System.html but if you're not doing this a a professional thing, it won't really matter.

To get light behind the item, you can angle the light above.  Try raising it slightly, etc.  Try covering the sides with white muslin to put in ambient light (or even angle a light in from the side) that might be a bit more well angled.  Like this: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

What kind of camera do you have, that's going to make a big difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 1
Chocolate Painting with Spoon
Student’s ‘Rape Culture’ Artwork Banned from School Show
Building An Indoor Flying Space & Aerial Photography Tips
How to Properly Photograph Fireworks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...