A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Vegas in August  (Read 18712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelo
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2006 11:53:32 AM »

I too am moving to Vegas (to teach).  We start driving from Missouri tomorrow morning.  I'd love to know all the good places to buy yarn (that aren't big chain stores) as well as places for vintage fabric and clothing (as well as furniture since we have none!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TallGrrl
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2006 09:15:28 AM »

I too am moving to Vegas (to teach).  We start driving from Missouri tomorrow morning.  I'd love to know all the good places to buy yarn (that aren't big chain stores) as well as places for vintage fabric and clothing (as well as furniture since we have none!).

Unfortunately, Vegas isn't the type of town that has cool vintage stores like Los Angeles, San Francisco...or any real city. 
There's one vintage store called The Attic. Over rated and over priced.
If you want to do a real thrift store once you get here, take a day trip to L.A. and go to Aardvark's. There's one on Melrose and one in Santa Monica, and I think there's one in East L.A.
But Vegas does have two very cool yarn stores: Gail Knits (www.gailknits.com), which is on the West side of town; and Wooly Wonders (www.woolywonders.com) on the East side.
Gail carries basics and lots of novelty and high-end yarns. Also books, mags, buttons (oh, buttons!!), bags, accessories.  And Joyce at Wooly has a great selection of basics and some novelty as well. And if you spin/weave, she's the place you go to for roving, fleece, wheels, spindles, looms and all the stuff you need for that.  Both stores have one night a week when they're open in the evening.
If you're into beads, there's Simply Beads on the West side (actually, across from Gail Knits), and Vegas beads, which is near the industrial area.

On a side note, if you're coming here to teach, good luck.
A valet at the Venetian will make more than you ever will ever. Ever.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2006 10:44:46 AM »

Unfortunately, Vegas isn't the type of town that has cool vintage stores like Los Angeles, San Francisco...or any real city. 
There's one vintage store called The Attic. Over rated and over priced.
If you want to do a real thrift store once you get here, take a day trip to L.A. and go to Aardvark's. There's one on Melrose and one in Santa Monica, and I think there's one in East L.A.
But Vegas does have two very cool yarn stores: Gail Knits (www.gailknits.com), which is on the West side of town; and Wooly Wonders (www.woolywonders.com) on the East side.
Gail carries basics and lots of novelty and high-end yarns. Also books, mags, buttons (oh, buttons!!), bags, accessories.  And Joyce at Wooly has a great selection of basics and some novelty as well. And if you spin/weave, she's the place you go to for roving, fleece, wheels, spindles, looms and all the stuff you need for that.  Both stores have one night a week when they're open in the evening.
If you're into beads, there's Simply Beads on the West side (actually, across from Gail Knits), and Vegas beads, which is near the industrial area.

On a side note, if you're coming here to teach, good luck.
A valet at the Venetian will make more than you ever will ever. Ever.  Undecided

Teachers never make as much money as other professions -- in Las Vegas or otherwise!  It's unfortunate, but a fact of life.  I actually teach because I like to (I know, hard to believe)!

Thanks for mentioning yarn stores.  I was hoping to not have to go to a chain store for yarn.

Thanks for your information, TallGrrl!  I appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubyfan
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2006 07:14:15 PM »

Teachers never make as much money as other professions -- in Las Vegas or otherwise!  It's unfortunate, but a fact of life.  I actually teach because I like to (I know, hard to believe)!

Thanks for mentioning yarn stores.  I was hoping to not have to go to a chain store for yarn.

If you want vintage ribbons and such check out ribbonstore.com - although you would do better to look at her ebay store - The Ribbon Store - to see what she has gotten in recently.  Carol has a mix of new and vintage ribbons nowadays - vintage being harder to get!  She is local to Vegas but doesn't have a store front - is an on line store.  And she carries all the hanah handdyed silk ribbon - a great way to finish off any project/package.

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2006 10:35:55 AM »

WOW I haven't been around in soooo long!  I have been so busy it seems!  I have been knitting like CRAZY.  In fact I've been going into another LYS called Two Crazy Ladies Yarn Shop, it's on the SW corner of Rainbow and Sahara.  It's really nice cause I get to take my daughter in and knit and talk with everyone!

It's the only knitting group that I've found that is really laid back and goofy, and also easy to get to, so hopefully I can see some of you guys there at some point--Saturdays and Mondays are when all the girls come in to get together, and if you are wanting to check it out, now would be a good time to go in, because today and Monday she (Merle) is having a 50% off all yarn sale!

I am hoping to get in there today if my daughter allows... we will see how that goes!

Smiley
Alice

Other than that we really should try to plan on a get-together, or having a Crafster bi-weekly group like we were planning, maybe we can all work on a holiday gift-along or soemthing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sin_city_kitty
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2006 11:28:09 AM »

Hey,

I'm so glad that you brought this thread back up.  I've been super busy with work and getting settled in.  I too have been knitting up a storm.  I mostly knit on my breaks at work, but I would love to get together with other craftsters for some social crafting time. 

I have been to Two Crazy Ladies but only once and I had my husband in tow so I didn't really get to see much.  I might have to come check it out on Monday, which is my day off so that works out great.

I hope to see you there Alice, and any other Vegas Craftsters.

-Lindsay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog  you can find all the details about the projects I'm working on here.
my flickr
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2006 06:48:22 PM »

We just got engaged last weekend, and I decided to make a lot of my flowers.  We're doing origami irises together, and I'm going to make beaded and crochetted flowers, so that's what I've been working on.

We're both really excited, so even though we're a year away from it all, we're starting now.  Woot.

Yeah, so other than working hair shows and kickin it at the salon all the time, that's it from my end. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
gingerpeachy
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Will swap for heart-shaped buttons

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2006 08:43:14 AM »

I just moved to Las Vegas two weeks ago... right now, I'm trying to gather as much information about where to go, what to do, etc so I don't go crazy.  I've browsed through the Nevada thread quite a bit already, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any more suggestions?  I'm glad to hear that there are several yarn stores in town, otherwise I would go crazy having to use yarn from walmart/michael's.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as Sinellia.
InkNvDubs
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2006 05:26:42 PM »

I have lived in Vegas for a large portion of my life & my bf works as a tattooer at the shop upstairs for the 2 crazy ladies yarn place. I also am pretty familar with the thrift stores in Vegas & would like to be of assistance to those of you moving to Vegas for an insiders perspective on this city. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Mae West
rachelo
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2006 06:53:26 PM »

ooh!  InkNvDubs, you're a great person to know!  Wink  I'll have to pm you when we get ready for new tats.

We've only been in Vegas for four or so months, but so far, we love it!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Easy Book Covers
How to Create a Mending Kit from a Mason Jar
How to Make Animal-Themed Towels for Kids
How to Silk Screen Your Own Designs
How to Make an Egg Cozy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...