A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat from old pants ***Now With TUTE****  (Read 5294 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

envirocraft
« on: December 26, 2009 12:23:16 PM »

My sister and I are big headed people Tongue So I made her a hat for Christmas that she could actually wear:

You can probably tell from the picture that I am NOT a hat person!!! lol

I made it from an old pair of my pants:

I completely wung it!  I used just one leg, and will have enough to make another one if I want!

Here's a few more of the hat:

(me looking dorky again)

Just the hat, doin' it's thing

Thanks for looking!

If anyone's interested in a tut I can go through the steps I took...I remembered to write it down!!

*******TUTORIAL***********

Here I go, this is my first tute.  If things don't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain.

I appologise for the math in step one, but I'm an engineer!

1. Figure out how big your hat needs to be.  I measured my head and added a little bit more because my sister's is bigger than mine. Smiley  This measurement is the circumference.  If we remember back to high school,  C = pi x d  where C is your circumference, pi = 3.1415.......  and d is the diameter.  This is what we want to find.  (d=C/pi )  Now we're going to make a paper circle based on our diameter.

I did this by finding the radius (half of the diameter) and marking the radius to sketch into a circle:

2. Fold your circle in half and place on outer leg of your pants  You probably could use the inseam just as easily, but the pants I used had a really cool stitch on the outer part, so I used that.  Cut out circle. This will become the top of your hat.

3. Next cut the band for the hat.  This is one piece that's about 3cm wide by your circumference measurement plus a little more.  I cut this piece from the inseam.  *note: this piece you're only cutting the front piece of the pants, you'll have to cut up the inseam*

4. Cut the side of the hat.  This piece is longer on one side than the other.  I used 5cm and 9cm.  I might have trimmed the 9cm side smaller though...can't remember. This piece is half of the circumference plus a little in length on the top side.  

If you're a big measurement person, you might like to know the bottom side length. We'll call it side x

side x = √ [( circumference plus some)^2 + (long side-short side)^2]

5. Now this is what you should have for pieces and this is what should be left of the leg (see step 9 for cutting the brim and the half circles that are missing):

6. Sew the short end of the side pieces together, and press the seam open.  (from here on in, I'm making the 'hat' out of paper and staples.  Note that the white of the paper is the good side of the fabric and the green graph side of the paper is the wrong side of the fabric)  Top stitch each side of the seam (optional).  Your seam allowance depends on how much extra you measured in.  

7. Sew the band to the straight part of the side pieces.  If the band is longer than the side pieces, trim them so they're even.

8.  Pin and sew the band part to the circle.  I'd recommend lining up the seam from the side pieces with the seam down the centre of the hat.  If you measured incorrectly and your band is too long, just make sure that the seam will line up with the back of the hat.  

Oh yeah, sew the band/side pieces together before you sew them to the circle.  I can't remember how I did this, but I do remember some cursing. lol

Now your hat's mostly done.

9. Cut the brim out from the leg of the pants.  You can shape it however you like. I think I found an existing hat and traced it.  For the inside curve I used the paper circle pattern I made in step 1.  

Now you have to choose how you want to do this:

a. I cut a small piece of cardstock out, slightly smaller than the brim pieces, sewed them together around the curve only, wrong sides together, and then turned them, pressed it, and inserted the cardstock.

b. You could also sew interfacing to the brim pieces, then sew them together around the curve only, and then turn and press them.

c. You could do both.

Note: if you have cardstock in it, it's probably not going to take well to washing!!

10. You're now ready to sew the brim on.  I ironed up a small hem on the hat and then pinned what will be the top of the brim to the good side of the hem on the front.  I sewed the brim on to this piece, then finished the hem cheating where it reaches the brim.  

11. You're done. Unless you want to be fancier.  I left the inside unfinished, but you could always create a lining by following steps 1-8 again, and then sew it on to the hat like you would the lining of a purse.  

I hope this is sort of clear.  I completely made things up as I went and I'm not a veteran sewer, so there are probably better ways to do some of these things, this is just how I did it.

If you do make a hat I'd LOVE to see it!!!  Feel free to post it here, message me with it, or message me about any questions you have about the tutorial!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010 08:11:26 PM by envirocraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 02:00:36 PM »

Cute hat!  And you look adorable in it.  Take that extra leftover leg and make one for yourself.  And as long as you're at it, write up that tute too.   Wink  I'd love to know how you made it!

Your sister is a lucky girl for getting that hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
janerazor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009 09:30:47 AM »

That is so super cute! If you have a tute or any tips on how you made the hat, I'd love to hear them. I have loads of old denim that I think could work for hats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LonelySparrow
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009 01:11:54 PM »

wow it looks like it came out of a store
could u post the tut?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010 12:28:28 PM »

Just added the tute! Let me know if anyone tries it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010 08:45:55 PM »

Excellent!  I love this style of hat, I will have to try and make one, thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
funkadot
Funkdot Makes Loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010 08:56:54 AM »

Thats a crackin' hat. I love that style in particular. The detailed tutorial is briliant, but my maths isnt quite that good.

Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CoanTeen
Witch who Walks without Feet

Searching for my own "Golden Path"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010 11:21:36 PM »

This is so great I'm going to have to try it! I'm suffering from a bad hair cut and this tute is going to be a life saver i just know it hahah! Thank you for being so wonderfully crafty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek chic, Gamer Gorgeous, Punk Pretty, Angry Beautiful.
You want it? I Made it!
www.ShinshayOriginals.com

Wist- http://www.wists.com/Coanteen

Need crocheted hats, Will sew anything for you if you can make me hats!
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010 07:22:17 AM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the maths forumula D = C/pi !!!  I've been trying to figure this out for ages to use for circle skirts, where I have the c (my waist measurement obviously) - but needed to find the R to do the arcy bit with a pen and a bit of string.

I'm definitely going to have a go at this hat - LOVE hats and I've never tried anything like this, mine have been more 6 x triangle shapes for the head part - so will be nice to try something new, awesome tut - and I don't think you do yourself credit about being a hat person - I think it looks great on you!!!!!

Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
littlecloud

" The cake is a lie."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011 05:22:41 PM »

thank you very much for this awsome tute  Cheesy  !!..
I loved your math bit, was some what entertaining..

here you can see what I learned from your tute:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=388397.msg4597465#msg4597465

Thanks again for sharing Smiley ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What To Whip Up With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Outside The Box: Spicy Turducken
Check Out The Healthiest Hotel Food
Weight Watchers Swap and Drop on Turkey Day
Holiday Home Cooking With Paula Deen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...