A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiln Question  (Read 4870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010 07:12:01 AM »

I want my own Kiln and will get one in Feb Smiley I am so so excited really so much fun to have..I am really just wondering OUCH How much will one BOOST my electric bill? Lets say you use it to Slump bottles 3X a week what do you think? How much did your bills go UP when you got yours and started useing?? I dont guess I can get a tax break ROTFL on one LOL..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
crafty gurll
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010 08:33:24 AM »

I want my own Kiln and will get one in Feb Smiley I am so so excited really so much fun to have..I am really just wondering OUCH How much will one BOOST my electric bill? Lets say you use it to Slump bottles 3X a week what do you think? How much did your bills go UP when you got yours and started useing?? I dont guess I can get a tax break ROTFL on one LOL..

I think the newer ones are way more energy efficient than you think.  A full fuse cycle is around 3-4 hours at most.  Mine is the largest that runs on a normal household circuit, a Paragon Fusion 7.  I would run it a few times a month and honestly didn't see a huge huge difference.  Running the a/c all summer was way worse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010 09:03:39 AM »

I think the newer ones are way more energy efficient than you think.  A full fuse cycle is around 3-4 hours at most.  Mine is the largest that runs on a normal household circuit, a Paragon Fusion 7.  I would run it a few times a month and honestly didn't see a huge huge difference.  Running the a/c all summer was way worse!

I am looking at some new ones now but will have to wait to purchase. I want one that I can slump bottles in Smiley but don't want my Ele. bill to go through the roof LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010 10:24:40 AM »

I would wait until you can buy the one you really want.  The Paragon 7 can fit beer bottles and most liquor bottles, but long necked wine bottles it cannot.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010 05:53:57 PM »

I would wait until you can buy the one you really want.  The Paragon 7 can fit beer bottles and most liquor bottles, but long necked wine bottles it cannot.  Cry
I really want one that I can slump wine bottles Smiley Slump Slump bumpity bump  Grin I would not buy a little one and want for a big one...I think I will go to the city and take a class but it is 3 hours one way  Undecided
I want to get a pottery wheel and make some great things and need an all around kiln. There are always ones on Craigslist cheep but I am an ass and would make someone make something in it before getting my money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010 06:36:28 PM »

I do pottery as well but belong to a studio for that.  A ceramic kiln will be way more expensive to run, the cycles on that are much longer.  And each piece needs a bisque fire and a glaze fire to be finished.  Not to mention the mess of clay dust EVERYWHERE, but it will also need to be vented outside because the fumes are toxic.  I love clay, but not in my house!   Cheesy 

That's a shame you can't find a class to take, to make sure you like it before the investment.  I thought for sure I would love the wheel, but found myself to be a hand builder.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010 10:15:19 PM »

I do pottery as well but belong to a studio for that.  A ceramic kiln will be way more expensive to run, the cycles on that are much longer.  And each piece needs a bisque fire and a glaze fire to be finished.  Not to mention the mess of clay dust EVERYWHERE, but it will also need to be vented outside because the fumes are toxic.  I love clay, but not in my house!   Cheesy 

That's a shame you can't find a class to take, to make sure you like it before the investment.  I thought for sure I would love the wheel, but found myself to be a hand builder.  Wink 

I found some classes ( well one of the studios here at the beach ) will let me come down and play Smiley I am so excited! I will get some one on one so that is great. I talked to the owner a few hours ago and asked if he did classes and he said no but he will always let artist come down and explore before the jump in with both feet LOL ROTFL..so win win..

I did not realize that there was so much to the pottery fire may rethink that one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010 09:20:52 AM »

You will get hooked on pottery once you take a class, believe me.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Knotted Updo
Natural Hair Braider Files Lawsuit Over Barber Laws
Different Ways To Style Wet Hair
DIY Creaseless Hair Ties
How to Get Runway-Inspired Textured Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...