A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiln Question  (Read 4909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty gurll
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010 08:43:23 AM »

I am thinking about buying a tiny kiln that can handle small glass fusing, PMC, enamel, and ceramic pieces. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for or a kiln they love? I want to keep it under $300, if possible. Also, I need to be able to use it in my apartment with a standard 120V outlet.

I really like my Paragon Fusion 7, runs on standard 120V, but it doesn't do ceramic and was over $300.  It's big enough to do bottles, but doesn't take up too much space.  It's very easy to program as well.

They do have low fire PMC which may be able to be fired in a glass kiln, I need to look into that.  I would go to mudinmind.com, that's where I got my kiln and the prices were the best I had found anywhere.  If a kiln can fire ceramics it can do glass, but sometimes a glass kiln can't do ceramics.  Glass fuses at a lower temp than ceramics, and the cycle is quicker with glass, so that is something to keep in mind when looking.  My only advice would be to get the largest you can afford so you can do as much with it as possible.  Cheesy

Craig's List is always an option, I see tons of kilns on there, from full size to tabletop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010 01:07:32 PM »

I am thinking about buying a tiny kiln that can handle small glass fusing, PMC, enamel, and ceramic pieces. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for or a kiln they love? I want to keep it under $300, if possible. Also, I need to be able to use it in my apartment with a standard 120V outlet.

I used Clay King to get my kiln.  I got a Paragon Home Artist one.  It's quite a bit more than $300 but I wanted the biggest kiln that I could at 120 volts.  I got the Home Artist one because a lot of glass artists on a glassing forum recommended it as the best they've used. 

The only concern about getting one for $300 is that you will really limit your use with it.  Your firing chamber size will be pretty tiny.  But maybe that's all you want to start out with. 

I looked at getting a kiln the same way I do with most things in my life..."Go big or go home"!   Cheesy  I know how I get with crafting...I want to do it all and with investing the cha-ching in a kiln I knew I wanted one that would keep me happy for a long time.  Well, as much as I love the one I got already...I sure wish I could've gotten even a bigger one!   Grin

Best word of advice:  Get one with a digital controller.  As a newbie you'll make your learning curve a little less steep than using one without!

Advice about PMC:  With any kiln, get an extra kiln shelf.  PMC will stain/discolor the shelf so you'll want one that is dedicated for just PMC.

Welcome to the world of warm glass!  You'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010 01:58:24 PM »

Thank you! These are all really helpful tips! Sadly, I have a shortage of money and space (I live in an apartment - a famous quote from my little neighbor kid: "It's weird that you only have half a house, but you have such a big dog"! LOL!). BUT, you have got me looking at the Paragon Firefly kiln. It's a little more than I want to spend, but it looks possibly doable, and looks like it is versatile enough for what I need. Do you have any experience with a firefly? (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 01:59:04 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010 02:02:37 PM »

crafty gurll, it would be awesome to have room for bottles, but given my space/money constraints I am mostly concerned with being able to do a variety of jewelry-related projects. At some point if I end up being really into it and get a house and more cha-ching, I may want a big kiln, but for now I want to be able to try some different things without getting something too big and/or expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010 09:09:08 PM »

crafty gurll, it would be awesome to have room for bottles, but given my space/money constraints I am mostly concerned with being able to do a variety of jewelry-related projects. At some point if I end up being really into it and get a house and more cha-ching, I may want a big kiln, but for now I want to be able to try some different things without getting something too big and/or expensive.

Honestly it is little...fits in my garage!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010 09:29:46 PM »

Cheesy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010 10:08:03 PM »

I will recommend a Paragon, easy to program, east to run.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010 10:10:15 PM »

I am really leaning toward the firefly so far. Now to figure out where to get the money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010 10:19:18 PM »

I am really leaning toward the firefly so far. Now to figure out where to get the money!

Craftsters will find a way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010 04:39:59 AM »

So true! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 6 Shoes Every Woman Should Own
How to Pick Underwear For Your Body Type
Cool-Girl-Approved Vests You Need in Your Wardrobe
A Surprise Makeover For a "Rachael Ray" Audience Member
Wear Leather For Spring: 3 Great Outfits to Show You How!
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...