A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiln Question  (Read 4784 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty gurll
« on: December 26, 2009 10:28:39 AM »

Merry Christmas craftsters!  I got a Paragon 7 Glass fusing kiln for Christmas, yay!  I have been looking online and googled for hours but can't find the answer to my question:  can you fire clay in this kiln?

Any help greatly appreciated!  I don't want to ruin it so I am a little afraid to throw caution to the wind and fire it up.  I have some wine bottles I'd love to slump... Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 11:15:57 PM »

Yes you can IF your controller has cones. Or if you know the temperature that equals the cone firing you need.
Use a kiln shelf of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
crafty gurll
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 02:59:18 PM »

It has a digital display for temperature, but I don't think it has cones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arnold Howard
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009 07:37:09 AM »

Merry Christmas craftsters!  I got a Paragon 7 Glass fusing kiln for Christmas, yay!  I have been looking online and googled for hours but can't find the answer to my question:  can you fire clay in this kiln?

The maximum temperature of the Fusion-7 is 1700 degrees F. You can fire it to cone 09 but no hotter. Cone 09 is pushing the kiln to its maximum, so I wouldn't fire to that temperature regularly. The elements will last longer at glass fusing temperatures.

I am so pleased that you have a Paragon kiln. I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009 11:22:04 AM »

The maximum temperature of the Fusion-7 is 1700 degrees F. You can fire it to cone 09 but no hotter. Cone 09 is pushing the kiln to its maximum, so I wouldn't fire to that temperature regularly. The elements will last longer at glass fusing temperatures.

I am so pleased that you have a Paragon kiln. I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

What if I did low fire clay, and fired to cone 5 or so?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009 02:14:02 PM »

How exciting!!! I thought you had one already since you do a lot of ceramics. Congrats and have fun. I'm saving up for a kiln, hope to have one in the next few months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009 03:11:24 PM »

How exciting!!! I thought you had one already since you do a lot of ceramics. Congrats and have fun. I'm saving up for a kiln, hope to have one in the next few months.

I go to a studio for my pottery and have my work fired there.  WAY too messy to do in your own house! Glass is much cleaner, I hope.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009 05:58:00 PM »

I see, that is cool.   I am thinking I will get the Paragon Caldera as it's a bit larger than the Firefly and you can add the bead collar and blank collar.  I want a kiln so I can do a variety of things like metal clay, ceramics and glass. It's not large but I think it will suit me for now. Hubby seems on board and isn't giving me the evil eye about it so I know I will make this happen soon.   

I can't wait to see what you make. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009 10:13:05 PM »

Hey, as long as there is no evil eye go for it!  Wink  That does look like a nice kiln.  This is the site they bought mine from:

http://www.mudinmind.com/Kilns/PARAGON+KILNS/Paragon+Caldera+Kiln.html

and the prices seem pretty reasonable and I am a sucker for free shipping.

I would love to try some of the PMC clay, that is about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010 08:29:18 AM »

Hey,  I'm looking at getting a kiln too.   Grin

I think I'm going with the Caldera too.  Partly because you can add the collar to it to get the height I want. I talked with a local guy who talked me out of the Paragon Fusion 14 only because of the shallow depth. 

@Lique:  You mentioned adding the blank collar and the bead door collar.  Can you add both?  I guess I thought you could only add one collar.

Has anyone looked at or used the Paragon Home Artist Kiln?  I like the 12 x 12 dimension of it.  But I haven't heard much talk about it, so I'm curious.

I'm looking at using my kiln for fusion, slumping and sagging.  I'm also taking a class this weekend (SQueeee!) on PMC. 

As far as I can tell MudinMind has the best prices. Have you guys found any better prices?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010 02:28:25 PM »

I think the temp of the Fusion-7 should be 1700 deg F max, so you can fire it to cone up to 09, I think so that your elements may last longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Lique

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010 08:20:58 AM »

@Lique:  You mentioned adding the blank collar and the bead door collar.  Can you add both?  I guess I thought you could only add one collar.

Good question. I was under the impression that you could stack all of them at once.  I'm still not able to get my kiln but if hubby gets his bonus next month than maybe just maybe I'll be able to finally get one.

Crafty Gurll, how you liking your new kiln?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010 08:54:59 AM »

Lique, I haven't used it yet!  Shocked  I plan on running it in the garage, and with Cleveland winters I haven't been able to get it up and running.   I don't think we have had a day over 35 since Christmas.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010 09:28:43 PM »

Mudinmind.com  is great!  Lots of free shipping and low prices and GREAT customer service.  I have ordered two kilns from them.  Order it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
crafty gurll
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010 10:39:49 PM »

Finally have the kiln set up in the garage because warm weather has finally arrived!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010 09:34:55 PM »

Finally have the kiln set up in the garage because warm weather has finally arrived!

Finally!!!!!  Wink Smiley Smiley Yay!!

I finally have the money to get my kiln. I talked to customer service at Mud in Mind last Friday so I will be ordering this week.  I'm super excited. I am getting the Caldera with digital display, bead collar and the shelf kit.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010 06:12:56 AM »

I'm completely green with jealousy!  My DH has been promising me a kiln since Christmas.  The only problem is just when I think we can order it.....some major repair bill pops up.  Rats!

Can't wait to see what you do with your kiln!  Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

crafty gurll
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010 08:33:52 AM »

I finally have the money to get my kiln. I talked to customer service at Mud in Mind last Friday so I will be ordering this week.  I'm super excited. I am getting the Caldera with digital display, bead collar and the shelf kit.  Smiley

Yay Lique!  Hopefully you will get your kiln up and running quicker than I did.   Wink

Finally, I have a finished product!  Posted a bunch of photos here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347749.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010 02:54:20 PM »

Yay Lique!  Hopefully you will get your kiln up and running quicker than I did.   Wink

Finally, I have a finished product!  Posted a bunch of photos here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347749.0

I may be a bit longer than you as I have a huge mess in my garage to get cleaned up but that is my goal once the kids are out of school. I may still be able to use it even if I don't have the perfect set up as right away.  I'm off to check out your goodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010 08:03:08 AM »

I am thinking about buying a tiny kiln that can handle small glass fusing, PMC, enamel, and ceramic pieces. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for or a kiln they love? I want to keep it under $300, if possible. Also, I need to be able to use it in my apartment with a standard 120V outlet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010 08:43:23 AM »

I am thinking about buying a tiny kiln that can handle small glass fusing, PMC, enamel, and ceramic pieces. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to look for or a kiln they love? I want to keep it under $300, if possible. Also, I need to be able to use it in my apartment with a standard 120V outlet.

I really like my Paragon Fusion 7, runs on standard 120V, but it doesn't do ceramic and was over $300.  It's big enough to do bottles, but doesn't take up too much space.  It's very easy to program as well.

They do have low fire PMC which may be able to be fired in a glass kiln, I need to look into that.  I would go to mudinmind.com, that's where I got my kiln and the prices were the best I had found anywhere.  If a kiln can fire ceramics it can do glass, but sometimes a glass kiln can't do ceramics.  Glass fuses at a lower temp than ceramics, and the cycle is quicker with glass, so that is something to keep in mind when looking.  My only advice would be to get the largest you can afford so you can do as much with it as possible.  Cheesy

Craig's List is always an option, I see tons of kilns on there, from full size to tabletop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010 01:07:32 PM »

I used Clay King to get my kiln.  I got a Paragon Home Artist one.  It's quite a bit more than $300 but I wanted the biggest kiln that I could at 120 volts.  I got the Home Artist one because a lot of glass artists on a glassing forum recommended it as the best they've used. 

The only concern about getting one for $300 is that you will really limit your use with it.  Your firing chamber size will be pretty tiny.  But maybe that's all you want to start out with. 

I looked at getting a kiln the same way I do with most things in my life..."Go big or go home"!   Cheesy  I know how I get with crafting...I want to do it all and with investing the cha-ching in a kiln I knew I wanted one that would keep me happy for a long time.  Well, as much as I love the one I got already...I sure wish I could've gotten even a bigger one!   Grin

Best word of advice:  Get one with a digital controller.  As a newbie you'll make your learning curve a little less steep than using one without!

Advice about PMC:  With any kiln, get an extra kiln shelf.  PMC will stain/discolor the shelf so you'll want one that is dedicated for just PMC.

Welcome to the world of warm glass!  You'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010 01:58:24 PM »

Thank you! These are all really helpful tips! Sadly, I have a shortage of money and space (I live in an apartment - a famous quote from my little neighbor kid: "It's weird that you only have half a house, but you have such a big dog"! LOL!). BUT, you have got me looking at the Paragon Firefly kiln. It's a little more than I want to spend, but it looks possibly doable, and looks like it is versatile enough for what I need. Do you have any experience with a firefly? (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 01:59:04 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010 02:02:37 PM »

crafty gurll, it would be awesome to have room for bottles, but given my space/money constraints I am mostly concerned with being able to do a variety of jewelry-related projects. At some point if I end up being really into it and get a house and more cha-ching, I may want a big kiln, but for now I want to be able to try some different things without getting something too big and/or expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010 09:09:08 PM »

crafty gurll, it would be awesome to have room for bottles, but given my space/money constraints I am mostly concerned with being able to do a variety of jewelry-related projects. At some point if I end up being really into it and get a house and more cha-ching, I may want a big kiln, but for now I want to be able to try some different things without getting something too big and/or expensive.

Honestly it is little...fits in my garage!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010 09:29:46 PM »

Cheesy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010 10:08:03 PM »

I will recommend a Paragon, easy to program, east to run.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010 10:10:15 PM »

I am really leaning toward the firefly so far. Now to figure out where to get the money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
crafty gurll
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010 10:19:18 PM »

I am really leaning toward the firefly so far. Now to figure out where to get the money!

Craftsters will find a way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010 04:39:59 AM »

So true! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010 07:12:01 AM »

I want my own Kiln and will get one in Feb Smiley I am so so excited really so much fun to have..I am really just wondering OUCH How much will one BOOST my electric bill? Lets say you use it to Slump bottles 3X a week what do you think? How much did your bills go UP when you got yours and started useing?? I dont guess I can get a tax break ROTFL on one LOL..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
crafty gurll
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010 08:33:24 AM »

I want my own Kiln and will get one in Feb Smiley I am so so excited really so much fun to have..I am really just wondering OUCH How much will one BOOST my electric bill? Lets say you use it to Slump bottles 3X a week what do you think? How much did your bills go UP when you got yours and started useing?? I dont guess I can get a tax break ROTFL on one LOL..

I think the newer ones are way more energy efficient than you think.  A full fuse cycle is around 3-4 hours at most.  Mine is the largest that runs on a normal household circuit, a Paragon Fusion 7.  I would run it a few times a month and honestly didn't see a huge huge difference.  Running the a/c all summer was way worse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010 09:03:39 AM »

I think the newer ones are way more energy efficient than you think.  A full fuse cycle is around 3-4 hours at most.  Mine is the largest that runs on a normal household circuit, a Paragon Fusion 7.  I would run it a few times a month and honestly didn't see a huge huge difference.  Running the a/c all summer was way worse!

I am looking at some new ones now but will have to wait to purchase. I want one that I can slump bottles in Smiley but don't want my Ele. bill to go through the roof LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010 10:24:40 AM »

I would wait until you can buy the one you really want.  The Paragon 7 can fit beer bottles and most liquor bottles, but long necked wine bottles it cannot.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010 05:53:57 PM »

I would wait until you can buy the one you really want.  The Paragon 7 can fit beer bottles and most liquor bottles, but long necked wine bottles it cannot.  Cry
I really want one that I can slump wine bottles Smiley Slump Slump bumpity bump  Grin I would not buy a little one and want for a big one...I think I will go to the city and take a class but it is 3 hours one way  Undecided
I want to get a pottery wheel and make some great things and need an all around kiln. There are always ones on Craigslist cheep but I am an ass and would make someone make something in it before getting my money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010 06:36:28 PM »

I do pottery as well but belong to a studio for that.  A ceramic kiln will be way more expensive to run, the cycles on that are much longer.  And each piece needs a bisque fire and a glaze fire to be finished.  Not to mention the mess of clay dust EVERYWHERE, but it will also need to be vented outside because the fumes are toxic.  I love clay, but not in my house!   Cheesy 

That's a shame you can't find a class to take, to make sure you like it before the investment.  I thought for sure I would love the wheel, but found myself to be a hand builder.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010 10:15:19 PM »

I do pottery as well but belong to a studio for that.  A ceramic kiln will be way more expensive to run, the cycles on that are much longer.  And each piece needs a bisque fire and a glaze fire to be finished.  Not to mention the mess of clay dust EVERYWHERE, but it will also need to be vented outside because the fumes are toxic.  I love clay, but not in my house!   Cheesy 

That's a shame you can't find a class to take, to make sure you like it before the investment.  I thought for sure I would love the wheel, but found myself to be a hand builder.  Wink 

I found some classes ( well one of the studios here at the beach ) will let me come down and play Smiley I am so excited! I will get some one on one so that is great. I talked to the owner a few hours ago and asked if he did classes and he said no but he will always let artist come down and explore before the jump in with both feet LOL ROTFL..so win win..

I did not realize that there was so much to the pottery fire may rethink that one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010 09:20:52 AM »

You will get hooked on pottery once you take a class, believe me.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Nude Lipsticks For All Skin Tones
Miley Cyrus Makeup Tutorial
Top 3 Rock Star Ready Music Festival Trends
Miranda Kerr Reveals Her Beauty Secrets
How to Get the Best Looks from Emmy Night
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...