A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiln Question  (Read 4872 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty gurll
« on: December 26, 2009 10:28:39 AM »

Merry Christmas craftsters!  I got a Paragon 7 Glass fusing kiln for Christmas, yay!  I have been looking online and googled for hours but can't find the answer to my question:  can you fire clay in this kiln?

Any help greatly appreciated!  I don't want to ruin it so I am a little afraid to throw caution to the wind and fire it up.  I have some wine bottles I'd love to slump... Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 11:15:57 PM »

Yes you can IF your controller has cones. Or if you know the temperature that equals the cone firing you need.
Use a kiln shelf of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
crafty gurll
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 02:59:18 PM »

It has a digital display for temperature, but I don't think it has cones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arnold Howard
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009 07:37:09 AM »

Merry Christmas craftsters!  I got a Paragon 7 Glass fusing kiln for Christmas, yay!  I have been looking online and googled for hours but can't find the answer to my question:  can you fire clay in this kiln?

The maximum temperature of the Fusion-7 is 1700 degrees F. You can fire it to cone 09 but no hotter. Cone 09 is pushing the kiln to its maximum, so I wouldn't fire to that temperature regularly. The elements will last longer at glass fusing temperatures.

I am so pleased that you have a Paragon kiln. I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009 11:22:04 AM »

The maximum temperature of the Fusion-7 is 1700 degrees F. You can fire it to cone 09 but no hotter. Cone 09 is pushing the kiln to its maximum, so I wouldn't fire to that temperature regularly. The elements will last longer at glass fusing temperatures.

I am so pleased that you have a Paragon kiln. I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

What if I did low fire clay, and fired to cone 5 or so?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009 02:14:02 PM »

How exciting!!! I thought you had one already since you do a lot of ceramics. Congrats and have fun. I'm saving up for a kiln, hope to have one in the next few months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009 03:11:24 PM »

How exciting!!! I thought you had one already since you do a lot of ceramics. Congrats and have fun. I'm saving up for a kiln, hope to have one in the next few months.

I go to a studio for my pottery and have my work fired there.  WAY too messy to do in your own house! Glass is much cleaner, I hope.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009 05:58:00 PM »

I see, that is cool.   I am thinking I will get the Paragon Caldera as it's a bit larger than the Firefly and you can add the bead collar and blank collar.  I want a kiln so I can do a variety of things like metal clay, ceramics and glass. It's not large but I think it will suit me for now. Hubby seems on board and isn't giving me the evil eye about it so I know I will make this happen soon.   

I can't wait to see what you make. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009 10:13:05 PM »

Hey, as long as there is no evil eye go for it!  Wink  That does look like a nice kiln.  This is the site they bought mine from:

http://www.mudinmind.com/Kilns/PARAGON+KILNS/Paragon+Caldera+Kiln.html

and the prices seem pretty reasonable and I am a sucker for free shipping.

I would love to try some of the PMC clay, that is about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010 08:29:18 AM »

Hey,  I'm looking at getting a kiln too.   Grin

I think I'm going with the Caldera too.  Partly because you can add the collar to it to get the height I want. I talked with a local guy who talked me out of the Paragon Fusion 14 only because of the shallow depth. 

@Lique:  You mentioned adding the blank collar and the bead door collar.  Can you add both?  I guess I thought you could only add one collar.

Has anyone looked at or used the Paragon Home Artist Kiln?  I like the 12 x 12 dimension of it.  But I haven't heard much talk about it, so I'm curious.

I'm looking at using my kiln for fusion, slumping and sagging.  I'm also taking a class this weekend (SQueeee!) on PMC. 

As far as I can tell MudinMind has the best prices. Have you guys found any better prices?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mallory Cornelison: Copy the Cover Challenge
Tips And Tricks For Summer Legs
Three Tips For Oily Summer Skin
How to Take Your Makeup Off
3D-Printed Makeup Is Ready To Transform Your Beauty Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...