A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tapestry crochet puzzle solved! [tutorial]  (Read 698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheRobotSays
« on: December 25, 2009 09:48:27 PM »

I want to start doing it but I really don't want to pay for the book by carol norton, I just want simple basics on it. Can someone help me, I just have a few questions:

1. If I don't want to work in the round, should I try to learn how to crochet left handed also? or should I just fasten off every row and start from right to left?
2. how would I even start the tapestry crochet, I know you carry multiple strands of yarn, but do I start the chain and SCs with one yarn & carry it through? or do I start the CH and SCs with all the strands of yarn???

I have been looking for a basic tutorial on this for 2 days and it's getting frustrating not being able to find anything that takes me to simple basics.
some one help me before i throw this laptop into the pacific ocean!!!

So, for the past 2 weeks I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do tapestry crochet with out switching to my left hand.

Then a stroke of genius hit me: INSERT THE HOOK FROM BACK TO FRONT WHEN YOU TURN THE PIECE.

I did that & I realized that with an image that isn't symmetrical on both sides you would have to read the next row of the pattern from left to right & alternate back & forth.

Here's a quick summary of my method:
1. ch X amount of stitches you need
2. SC across until you either need to turn or change colors
3. ch 1 turn & insert hook from back to front & read the pattern (assuming it's a graph) from left to right OR if it's symmetrical on both sides don't worry about how you read it.
4. ch 1 turn & crochet as normal & read pattern as normal.

switch back & forth as needed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 06:09:15 PM by TheRobotSays - Reason: answered my own question :] » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010 01:05:18 AM »

Don't worry.  It's not near as complicated as it seems like it should be.  First, you should learn this wonderful thing called a 'Magic Loop', you can find it here: http://crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html or you can search for 'magic loop crochet' on YouTube and watch videos.  Once you've mastered that, which is very simple, then start your crocheting in the round.  When I do it, flat or in the round, I always keep the yarn color that I want to be hidden on top of the rows so when I make my next stitch, the second color is hidden.  You can just hold your main color in your hand and only pick up the second one when you need it.  It's really simple once you get the hang of it.  If you need me to explain that more, I'll be happy to try.  Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheRobotSays
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 06:01:33 PM »

Don't worry.  It's not near as complicated as it seems like it should be.  First, you should learn this wonderful thing called a 'Magic Loop', you can find it here: http://crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html or you can search for 'magic loop crochet' on YouTube and watch videos.  Once you've mastered that, which is very simple, then start your crocheting in the round.  When I do it, flat or in the round, I always keep the yarn color that I want to be hidden on top of the rows so when I make my next stitch, the second color is hidden.  You can just hold your main color in your hand and only pick up the second one when you need it.  It's really simple once you get the hang of it.  If you need me to explain that more, I'll be happy to try.  Hope that helps.

Thank you, I figured it out the other day for making a flat tapestry crochet piece.

I made a heart.
I looked on tapestrycrochet.com and watched her tute on how to make a flat piece but I absolutely cannot crochet left handed. So I figured it out.

You turn, but instead of inserting the hook from front to back, you insert it back to front.
When you are doing the row in reverse you should also read the pattern (mostly a graph) also in reverse, so for example:

row 1: sc across regularly, switch colors if you need to & read the pattern from right to left
row 2: sc but insert hook from back to front & read the pattern row from left to right
etc, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 09:59:51 PM »

Great timing I just finished a hat in the round. I too used a heart pattern. I had no idea what it was called, but was thrilled to be able to find out more information once I did.

I have been curious about the flat patterns. How did your edges turn out. I will have to give your technique a try. I'm not sure about the left handed crochet either.

Did they have both colors in them? Do you find Carol's graph paper necessary? I did notice the hearts on my hat did skew to the right.

I will post my hat and would love to see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheRobotSays
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 04:33:18 PM »

Great timing I just finished a hat in the round. I too used a heart pattern. I had no idea what it was called, but was thrilled to be able to find out more information once I did.

I have been curious about the flat patterns. How did your edges turn out. I will have to give your technique a try. I'm not sure about the left handed crochet either.

Did they have both colors in them? Do you find Carol's graph paper necessary? I did notice the hearts on my hat did skew to the right.

I will post my hat and would love to see what you come up with.
i haven't tried crocheting in the round. I the only graphing i used was a quick graph i drew on note book paper with a heart on it. Tongue
& yes i used grey and teal for it.
the edges show the unused yarn, but I just SC around to give it a border & hid the unused yarn perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Faux Leather Charms with Tanya Memme
Outdoor Advent Calendar with Sophie Uliano
Learn How to Tie the Perfect Holiday Bow with Tanya Memme
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...