A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: techniques for sewing on vinyl  (Read 1865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isewista
« on: December 24, 2009 01:20:35 PM »

Can anyone share what the best technique is for sewing on vinyl?  I applied an iron-on vinyl to a fabric and it didn't feed well through my sewing machine.  Anyone have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009 08:01:15 PM »

I always layer it with tissue paper. So if your project is all vinyl, sandwich the vinyl between two pieces of paper. If you're sewing with vinyl and fabric, have the fabric, then the vinyl, then a piece of tissue paper. Since you can't pin it, I like to use binder clips or paper clips to hold it in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isewista
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009 08:47:21 PM »

Thanks so much!  I will have to try that.  I wanted to avoid making a trip to the craft store to purchase additional product.  I do have tissue so I'll try this method.  Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerryleetypes
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009 07:30:28 PM »

Buy an industrial walking foot machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ntaga
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009 02:38:54 PM »

I've used tissue paper successfully.  A teflon foot may help.  A walking foot will work as well, although they're pretty expensive (at least they are for Viking machines).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009 08:40:28 PM »

I'm a big fan of the tissue paper method. You just rip it away when you are done. I usually only have to use it on the top layer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brandymccoy
Brandy

hello I am a crochet , knitting,and sewing fanatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010 07:25:08 PM »

I just use a leather needle and put my stitches at 3.5 or 4 and it goes through quite easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

procraftinatty
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010 09:07:20 AM »

I have some Daytona Vinyl (it is fairly heavy) that I want to use to make an apron.  I have some heavy duty needles that are meant for leather and other heavy synthetic materials, and a more sturdy thread...
but I have never used this as a fabric before.  does anyone have any advice or tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glamboots
Uncommon Sense

The impossible takes a bit longer.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010 01:52:33 PM »

I have been sewing with vinyl for more than twenty years now, everything from lightweight clothing to car upholstery, and believe me, it isn't hard. You're right when you say you should use leather needles and heavy thread. I find that extra-strong quilting thread is really good for vinyl, even the thick stuff. If your needles are good, they'll puncture the vinyl cleanly and the thread won't break.

Use a stitch length of about 8 or less per inch. Too close together and the vinyl can rip. I'm not familiar with Daytona vinyl. Does it have a backing? If not, use a long stitch length. Also, make sure you pin within the stitch margins and pull the pins out as you go to prevent them getting jammed in the machine. Pin holes never come out as in regular fabric.

If you are topstitching, which I recommend, since you can't very well press seams on vinyl, use a medium pressure on your presser foot, and lubricate the vinyl with a silicone lubricant, like Sewer's Ease. Others say tape or put paper on the top and rip it out later, but use the silicone.  It's so much easier and neater. It also eases the thread through the vinyl and doesn't snag as much.

Sometimes I glue the seams down, like for hems, and good old rubber cement for paper works wonderful for this. Plus, if you get any on the vinyl it just rubs right off.

Remember, just like pinholes, if you make a mistake on sewing, the holes will be there permanently after you rip out the thread. Just be careful and take it slow and easy for heavy fabrics, hand feed the needle through the first few stitches at the beginning, and pay attention to the stitching in case you drop any. Have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really wanted to do it, you'd find the time.
procraftinatty
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010 12:39:28 PM »

Thanks so much for your advice.  I will give it all a try Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Neatly in Calligraphy
How to Design Anime Hair for Boys
How to Sketch an Eye from the Side
How to Sketch a Young Face
How to Design a Face in Shadow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...