A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tracing paper to trace sewing pattern. Any suggestion of paper?  (Read 4883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floatingmoon
« on: December 24, 2009 03:35:05 AM »

I want to tracing the sewing pattern on a paper, and use that paper instead. So the paper needs to be transparent and hopefully in a roll.

Blank sewing pattern paper is expensive.
Gifting tissue paper tear easily.
Brown packing paper cannot see thru.
Parchment paper (baking) doesn't stick when i tried to tape two paper together, and also pencil mark will gradually come off.

I heard that some types of drafting paper works. (I think it's drafting paper use for constructing buildings). I think there are many types of drafting paper? I wish some that is durable, can be written on it and stick on tape. What type should I use?

And any extra suggestion?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009 03:51:21 AM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009 04:44:17 AM »

Try onionskin paper.  It's translucent and more sturdy than tissue paper.

I personally use newspaper or tissue paper - the largest the sheets the better, I hate having to tape bits constantly for one single pattern piece.  And if I ever manage to come across freezing paper, I'll give it a try.  Ah, to use non-transparent paper you can use carbon paper to transfer the pattern.  And if you have a big window or glass door, try sticking the pattern on it so that the light helps to see through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
floatingmoon
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009 05:33:59 AM »

Good idea, I hope I can find it in my city. Many things are not sell in my city.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
azlorena
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009 06:40:46 AM »

I use non fusible interfacing to trace pattern pieces.  It is more sturdy than tracing paper, and drapes on the body better for fitting.  BTW....I picked this tip up from a fellow craftster member...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009 01:52:16 PM »

I always use waxed-paper (I think it's the same as parchment paper). Never had too many problems with tape sticking to it, though it DOES peel off if I TRY to peel it off. I join two pieces together by using a two inch long piece of tape every inch or so, and the very edges of patterns get more tape. It could be that the tape you used just wasn't sticky enough, though I use tape from the dollar store without many issues. Try taping both the front and the back of a joint between two pieces.

I also use fine-tip permanent markers to trace patterns. It has to dry thoroughly before I let the written side touch any fabrics, or else it rubs off. Sharpies rub off more easily than those heavy-duty permanent markers that smell really bad.

I HAVE used freezer paper, but it's more expensive than waxed paper and not as easy to see through, so I only use it when my waxed paper runs out. It has a papery side and a shiny side, so if you write and tape the papery side, tape sticks better and writing doesn't come off very easily.

I hope you manage to find something you like Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myrLegacy
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009 05:32:46 PM »

A school I went to used rolls of medical paper -- you know, the paper that you sit on in the doctor's office?  Personally, I didn't like it too much.  It was a bit sturdier than tissue paper, but I'm kind of rough with my paper so mine always tore.  It's narrow though, but you can get a very long roll of it for $10.  Not sure where you would buy it, my school sold it special for the fashion classes.  It was translucent enough to see through so transferring patterns wasn't a huge headache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009 07:52:05 AM »

Wax paper and parchment paper are two different things. Wax paper is coated with wax, while parchment paper is coated with silicone (which doesn't melt in high oven temperatures).

Price wise, wax paper is usually cheaper than parchment paper and is best used to trace patterns using a tracing wheel. I have always had a hard time tracing with pencils on waxed paper, the pencil tip always gets coated with wax and slips. Scotch tape sticks to wax paper without any problems, it also comes off easily.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

musiclady

with enough caffine, I could rule the world

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010 07:34:52 PM »

I love using freezer paper for my patterns.  Once I've cut them out, I can iron them onto my fabric to cut that out and then they just peel off afterward, and can be used multiple times.  I just write the pattern # and size on them so I know what I'm dealing with, and then roll them together and store in my closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010 07:43:36 PM »

I use printer paper taped together, mainly because that's what we generally have around the house.  To trace the pattern I carefully tape the tissue pattern onto our sliding glass door, then just hold the paper over it and trace it out that way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010 11:56:25 AM »

In architecture school, we used tracing paper (available in rolls from places like Office Depot and Staples, along with any drafting supply or print shops you may have locally) but it tears really easily.  Mylar is the thing that's a step up from that.  It's transparent, comes in rolls or sheets, is very very sturdy, and regular #2 pencil works great on it.  They also make drafting pens specifically for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
False Eyelashes in Less Than 5 Minutes
Twist-N-Roll Tweezer Review
Watch Us Try Oil Pulling
How to Minimize the Look of Pores
Males Doing Nails with Sophy Robson
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...