A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy top  (Read 6360 times)
Tags for this thread: top , ruffle , scrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charmingflaws
« on: December 23, 2009 01:06:02 PM »

I made this tank out of a very large women's button down and some scrap fabric. I love the way it looks on the dress form but am less pleased with it on myself haha. I'm definitely going to try this again with less flashy fabric. I think it would be cute with leggings but it is sadly not long enough to be a dress.

Thanks for checking it out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
pocketwatch
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009 01:10:08 PM »

I love the shape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009 01:15:42 PM »

I'd totally wear that.  Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009 05:07:00 AM »

I like this a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trish_dish
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009 11:52:48 AM »

love it! Such a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marieC
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009 01:57:45 PM »

First of all, it's super cool, but I totally understand the feeling of excitedly putting it on, looking in the mirror, and going "- oh."  Do you not like the way it looks on you because all the bulk and color makes it looks too top heavy? 

If you really aren't going to wear it as is (be honest, are you?) you might as well try putzing with it some more.  You could maybe try dunking the whole thing in diluted bleach for a short amount of time to try dulling the colors to something that's a little more understated.  I personally don't like belts with that sort of thing in general and it kind just makes the whole thing a little busier.  I would just say tailor the shirt to you and go from there.  Jeans that fit nicely or a slim line skirt (a short one?) would look good with it.  Or cute shorts.

This all reminds me I need to rip some interfacing out of a shirt I made that's too stiff in the front.  It was a recent "- oh" of mine.  Also, I might totally copy you and do something like this.  You could do something similar with the left over fabric from the shirt you cut down to size.  I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
charmingflaws
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009 03:37:13 PM »

First of all, it's super cool, but I totally understand the feeling of excitedly putting it on, looking in the mirror, and going "- oh."  Do you not like the way it looks on you because all the bulk and color makes it looks too top heavy? 

If you really aren't going to wear it as is (be honest, are you?) you might as well try putzing with it some more.  You could maybe try dunking the whole thing in diluted bleach for a short amount of time to try dulling the colors to something that's a little more understated.  I personally don't like belts with that sort of thing in general and it kind just makes the whole thing a little busier.  I would just say tailor the shirt to you and go from there.  Jeans that fit nicely or a slim line skirt (a short one?) would look good with it.  Or cute shorts.

This all reminds me I need to rip some interfacing out of a shirt I made that's too stiff in the front.  It was a recent "- oh" of mine.  Also, I might totally copy you and do something like this.  You could do something similar with the left over fabric from the shirt you cut down to size.  I like it.

It's funny, after I wrote that I would probably never wear it, I tried it on with some skinnier jeans and a grey long sleeve shirt under, and I really like it. It's much busier than what I usually wear but I'm hoping to find an occasion. Thanks for the advice though. If you do that diluted bleach thing does it leave weird marks or spots or look like its been bleached?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
karentopaz
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009 03:34:13 PM »

This is SO cute.  I love anything patchwork so this immediately caught my eye.  I'm glad you were able to find a way to wear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramatic_alaska
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009 06:59:20 PM »

that really transforms the look of the top and I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it would look on other styles of shirts or more matching fabrics, but I think that this look is really unique and quite pleasing as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009 08:36:00 PM »

I think its cute , maybe if bleach wouldnt work you could try dying it grey or maybe off white-ish yellow-ish like antique to tone it down .. but i like it as is
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Collage for Your Face Painting Work
How to Load Your Face Paint Brush
How to Use Glitter in Face Painting
How to Face Paint a Bat Mask
How to Face Paint a Christmas Poinsettia
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...