A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Consignment shops?  (Read 4117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sabrinas_Charm
« on: April 25, 2005 07:58:55 AM »

Hi I'm from Massachusetts but head up to Maine from time to time, I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any consignment shops that sell artist's work? I make jewelry and I'm interested in trying to get my work in a few stores around New England and also I like to check out cool stores! Any help would be greatly appreciated  Smiley thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweet_Enemy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005 08:42:27 AM »

I used to live in Portland, and there is a really good arts scene there (in part because of the art school there, my alma mater!)  It's worth taking a day-trip or weekend to go browse around the shops.  Park your car somewhere in the middle of the "Arts district," and just about everything is within reasonable walking distance. 
The Old Port is very touristy, but the West End and East End harbor a lot of tucked-away gems.  There were a lot of little gallery-collectives when I lived there (5yrs ago) and you might get lucky if you strike up a conversation.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sabrinas_Charm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005 03:09:36 PM »

Oh yay! thanks for your help. Portland is close enough away for a nice day trip! I'll have to look more into it and check it out later this spring or summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MishMoshStudio
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006 01:04:54 PM »

Ogunquit is also a great artsy town in Southern Maine- much smaller than Portland, but in the summer/fall there are TONS of tourists there, so the stores are always busy. Right along the main street (Shore Road), there are a bunch of great shops that sell local handmade work-- my favorites are Lazy Daisy and Art & Soul. There's also a lot of gift shops and galleries, so I'm sure you could find several possibilities just by going for a stroll there.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sabrinas_Charm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006 06:53:19 PM »

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyousBohemian
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006 07:35:57 PM »

Hey, I live near Portland as well, and lovelovelove the art scence.  Outside of the city, though, you could basically just range up and down Routes 1 and 9; they tend to be the touristy areas, and have lots of upscale stores with artisan jewelry and such.  I sometimes just take day trips down the coast to browse and get good ideas.  Plus there's a fabulous candy shop in South Berwick (Route 1) that makes just about the best chocolates in the world. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
JoyousBohemian
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006 07:37:21 PM »

. . . or art scene.  I need more sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
unsay
nemo me impune lacessit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006 01:55:31 PM »

I go to Bowdoin College in Brunswick and there's a consignment store calles Esilo (I think that's how it's spelled).  It sells jewelry, and the woman who owns it is really friendly, so I bet she'd sell some of your work on consignment.  There's also a store called Loca upstairs featuring crafts from people in the area, but I'm not sure how it works/who gets to sell there.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brownies Get an Easy and Enticing Upgrade
KD101: Bread Pudding with Vanilla Butter Sauce Recipe
White Chocolate Cheesecake from Colicchio & Sons
Your Definition Of Salad Should Not Include This
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...