A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Loom & I'm an idiot that can't figure it out, help?  (Read 782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OhThat
« on: December 22, 2009 03:08:52 PM »

I was given a set of circle looms today. I've tried ALL day to figure out how to make something on them, but all I get is a knotted mess that I end up having to cut off of the looms.  I've thrown away a lot of yarn today.

I follow the directions about wrapping loosely around each peg twice, then grabbing the bottom and pulling it over the top.  The directions then say to make another two rows, pull the bottom one over the top, etc and that the "finished knitting will emerge from the inside of the hoop".  But this doesn't happen.  It just gets tighter and tighter until the pegs are completely wrapped in yarn and there is nowhere else to go.

I've tried three different sizes, I've tried different types of yarns, I've tried making them tighter, looser, everything I can think of but NOTHING is working.  I do not know how to knit with knitting needles so none of the terms (cast off, cast on, purl, etc) mean anything to me.  I've tried watching videos on youtube, etc., but they always just do the first two rows, then skip to the end, not ever showing how they get to that point.

Can anyone help me with VERY detailed, preferably with photos of every single step necessary?  I tried to learn to knit the regular way and it was a disaster so I was so excited when I got these. 

I'm such an idiot, thanks for any help.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pryor_k
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009 06:04:33 PM »

There are videos on Youtube that you can watch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhThat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009 08:58:20 AM »

There are videos on Youtube that you can watch.

Yeah, I've tried that.  They all stop after the first two rows, I need to know what happens after that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009 10:51:14 AM »

I think the wrapping two more rows is the problem. When you pick the bottom one over the top you take one row off the loom, if you then wrap two more rows and take the bottom off you end up adding another row to the loom without taking it off, quickly making for far too much yarn on the loom.

Start by wrapping two rows. Then repeat the following two steps:

1. Lift the bottom over the top.
2. Wrap one row.

There will never be more than two loops on a peg.

Now there is a loom stitch that involves lifting one loop over two. To do that one you start by wrapping three rows and then do the same two steps, lifting the bottom over the top and then wrapping one row. There will never be more than three loops on the pegs with this stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jen W
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011 03:18:05 PM »

On youtube look up mikeyssmail ( 2 "s")  he has great loom knitting videos and he explains very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Interview with Roger Nygard
White Balance Corrective Gels
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...