A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I CAN KNIT!!!! FINALLY!!  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mindi
« on: April 25, 2005 07:03:37 AM »

I'm so happy, I can finally KNIT!!! WOO HOO!!! Well, a little patch anyways (see below)  I've been trying to learn for the past couple of weeks using old little books, and stuff I printed from online. I don't know anybody who knits still, and the 2 I did knitted left handed (so it would get confusing, I'm righty Wink)

But I decided to splurge on the "Knitting Made Easy CD"    (http://www.coatsandclark.com/find_a_product/publications/cd_roms.htm - it shows the crochet & knit CD). I popped that CD into my computer watch it completely through and than watched it a 2nd time and actually did it along with the videos, and by the end of the day I could knit!!! Grin

After that I made my first little patch, but the next day or something I made this one:

The Pink is the knit stitch (garter stitch, right??) than in the yellow I switched to the purl stitch (not sure what it's called when it's just the purl stitch) and to end it off I switched to the stockinette stitch.

That patch was a lot better than my first one, my ends are to big...so it gets kinda loose on the ends but this patch was a lot better!

But if you definately want to learn knitting, I would recommend that CD. I'm more of a watching person in order to learn something. I can't read how to do stuff and than do it, I get to confused  Undecided It also has 20 patterns on the CD. I'm not sure if the crochet one is good, but I taught myself crochet Wink and the stuff I didn't get I asked a friend to help exlpain it.

Sorry I sound over excited, BUT I AM!!! But now, I just gotta find an easy first project, any ideas???
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005 07:13:45 AM by mindi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005 07:14:53 AM »

Congratulations!  And welcome to the exciting world of knitting.

To answer your question, it's still garter stitch when every row is all purl.  This is because the purl stitch is really just the back side of the knit stitch.  So you'll notice that your pink and yellow sections look the same, it's because they are the same, you just made them differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005 09:08:11 AM »

Yes, congratulations!! I taught myself & my sister to knit over spring break using the videos over at http://www.knittinghelp.com/. I was so excited, I called everyone up and told them, whether they wanted to know or not!
What kinds of knitting projects are you going to start?
I love your website, too. the slippers look so comfy! I want to try those out. I'm working on something like this--cables look hard but they are so much fun to do. Try them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
kristiface
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005 09:33:25 AM »

Kudos to you for figuring it out on your own.  I tried with books, but eventually became so frustrated that I just signed up for a class.  It's been really fun and I've learned a lot, but just think how much more yarn I could buy if I weren't always paying for classes Wink  And even with classes it took two months for me to figure out that I was knitting twisted.  Go figure!  I guess I'm just a hard- headed knitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005 11:14:17 AM »

kudos! i learned to knit a bazillion years ago form my gramma, but never really picked up the needles until...around christmas time, i guess?

it's really fun.
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PT=k
that website has some great projects for beginners, just look at the "skill level" bar thing next to it. a lot of them say beginner.

good luck!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
mindi
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005 09:56:53 AM »

Congratulations! And welcome to the exciting world of knitting.

To answer your question, it's still garter stitch when every row is all purl. This is because the purl stitch is really just the back side of the knit stitch. So you'll notice that your pink and yellow sections look the same, it's because they are the same, you just made them differently.

Thanks, I'm glad I learned to knit. I always thought it looked hard..but it's not that hard. I thought if you purl all the rows it was a garter stitch as well, but i wasn't quite sure.

kudos! i learned to knit a bazillion years ago form my gramma, but never really picked up the needles until...around christmas time, i guess?

it's really fun.
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PT=k
that website has some great projects for beginners, just look at the "skill level" bar thing next to it. a lot of them say beginner.

good luck!! Wink

I've been to that site before for crochet patterns, but I guess I never glanced at the knitting, I'll have to go over there and check it out. Thanks for the reminder Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005 08:23:11 PM »

Knittinghelp.com is definately a lifesaver.  It's taught me how to graft, and ssk and bind off... and used it to re- learn to how to cast on after my first knitting class (see above comment about my being a hard- headed knitter). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
nabbymac
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005 11:37:25 PM »

I too just learned how to knit and am now obsessed! After trying to learn from books and failing miserably, I took a class at Michael's for a whopping $10. At that price I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The teacher was awesome and there were only 3 of us in the class so we all got lots of attention. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." - Joe Versus the Volcano
mindi
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005 08:36:00 AM »

Thanks for telling me about knittinghelp.com Wink I'll have to go there and check it out.

At my michael's I think the classes cost $15 for crochet, but I thougth I saw a sign where knitting was $25 or so. But I think the knitting class that it was more of a coffee & food & bring your project thing. So maybe that is why it costs more.

I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about a different place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 1/2
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Net Stitch
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 2/2
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Net Joining
How to Halve Your Single Stitch Count
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...