A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 92477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flower
« Reply #1240 on: January 18, 2010 03:33:44 PM »

That is a great idea!  I have a chronic bed wetter Embarrassed...I am definitely going to try this.

Here is my faster and (possibly) more frugal take on the wool mat.  You can frequently buy wool sweaters at Goodwill for $4.  If you bought a few, felted them, and sewed them together you could make a decent waterproof mat.  I don't knit or crochet, so this is the only way I could make one.   Grin

Saw the Michael's flyer in the Sunday paper and they have yarn on sale! I know, not frugal to go buy more yarn. But here's the plan: I'm going to get wool and make a couple mats and felt them to use as soakers under my girls' sheets. Same idea as wool soaker pants for cloth diapers, only this time to preserve the mattress. I figure I can make one a whole lot cheaper than buying one ready-made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxsun40
« Reply #1241 on: January 18, 2010 04:03:46 PM »

I know a few pages back everyone was talking about cutting the cable off. Well, I have a story to tell all my frugal friends here...

Well... Our cable bill was $190.00 every month! That included phone, internet, digital cable w/ a DVR box. Oh, only about 100 channels. So, my DH and I agreed to cancel our cable and just keep the internet and the phone. Which reduced our bill down to $107! We signed up for the Netflix on the Xbox and my DH was happy as can be.

However, today we received a call from the cable company and they said they could reduce my bill since we are "valuable" costumers. I said ok, but you have to get it below $100 without a contract. Needless to say she done it! Our bill is now $97 per month with phone, internet, over 250 Channels, a free movie channel, and basic cable in our other rooms for the next year!!

I can not believe what all we have now for about $100 less per month! All we had to do was turn in our cable box and tell them to cancel our cable! YAY!!! Grin

Just thought ya'll should know these cable companies are taking our crafting money!! GrRRRRR lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: January 18, 2010 04:52:11 PM »

Roxsun - go you for getting a deal!  I did the same thing about a year ago - I called each of my utilities and let them know that their service was too expensive and I was thinking of switching to someone else.  Let me tell you, I lowered my bills by $75 (total, not each, unfortunately) in a matter of two hours.  Smiley

And today I have been quite frugal - I made soup for dinner (using the barley that's been on my shelf for ages, lentils, and the rest of the beans I cooked last week), made my mom a draft dodger, ordered the soap for making my laundry detergent, and joined paperbackswap.com where I've ordered two books and have two going out in the mail tomorrow.  Woot!  Of course, my list of books I want to order far exceeds what I've posted, so I've got to dig through my collection and figure out what else I can bear to part with!

Oh - and still no tv.  I watched an episode of Bones on Hulu with my dinner and it was so easy.  And a bonus - Hulu has HGTV shows and Food Network!  Squee!

I also made my last small for Craftrica today!  I'm still working on the medium!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: January 18, 2010 05:09:04 PM »

Grrr..can't get Hulu in Canada.  Angry 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
grenouille78
« Reply #1244 on: January 18, 2010 05:53:26 PM »

That is a great idea!  I have a chronic bed wetter Embarrassed...I am definitely going to try this.

Here is my faster and (possibly) more frugal take on the wool mat.  You can frequently buy wool sweaters at Goodwill for $4.  If you bought a few, felted them, and sewed them together you could make a decent waterproof mat.  I don't knit or crochet, so this is the only way I could make one.   Grin

Saw the Michael's flyer in the Sunday paper and they have yarn on sale! I know, not frugal to go buy more yarn. But here's the plan: I'm going to get wool and make a couple mats and felt them to use as soakers under my girls' sheets. Same idea as wool soaker pants for cloth diapers, only this time to preserve the mattress. I figure I can make one a whole lot cheaper than buying one ready-made.
That is a good alternative! For some reason here, real wool sweaters are scarce. When I wanted to make wool soaker pants, I went to five different thrift stores and could only find three wool sweaters!! I live in a pretty crafty, resourceful area, so I think all those other people beat me to it. ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danger.kitty
« Reply #1245 on: January 18, 2010 05:55:10 PM »

Came along this saying today and thought it would make a great cross-stitch sign:

"Recycle, re-use, make do, or do without!"

Don't think I have enough time to make this idea for my partner (I'm a very slow cross stitcher) but perhaps someone else would like to steal the idea Smiley

I am currently reclaiming fabric for my projects from a bag of clothing we had set aside to go to goodwill...problem with going through it all again is I get the urge to keep things that I don't need!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: January 18, 2010 06:21:50 PM »

You can't? Sad  Is the site blocked for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flower
« Reply #1247 on: January 18, 2010 06:29:01 PM »

You can't? Sad  Is the site blocked for you?

Does fancast.com work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: January 18, 2010 06:36:11 PM »

It says it can only be streamed from within the US.  Fancast says the content is currently unavailable.  But there must be something in Canada!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1249 on: January 18, 2010 08:23:40 PM »

Came along this saying today and thought it would make a great cross-stitch sign:

"Recycle, re-use, make do, or do without!"

Don't think I have enough time to make this idea for my partner (I'm a very slow cross stitcher) but perhaps someone else would like to steal the idea Smiley

I am currently reclaiming fabric for my projects from a bag of clothing we had set aside to go to goodwill...problem with going through it all again is I get the urge to keep things that I don't need!

My Grandma always said "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or Do without." I hear her telling me that in my head a lot, especially when I have a bad case of the "I want" -s!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips on How to Apply Your Makeup
4 Best Eyeshadows for Evening
How to Curl Eyelashes with Heat
The Only Skincare Product You Need To Face The Day
Katie McBroom: Finding Beauty and the Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...