A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 92422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« Reply #1180 on: January 16, 2010 07:40:18 AM »

What is the name of that grandma's book or whatever it was?  I don't even know where in these pages to go to find it...and I'm not wanting to reread 120.  Wink  We need like a resource list in the front or something for all the great books & websites recommended!  I did wish list that Joey's book on paperback swap tho.  Smiley  

DH is snoring away right now so I'm trying to get some things done.  Once I plug in my menu (ahhhhh, dieting!), I'm going to start crafting!  I'll say - I don't have many boy friendly fabrics in my stash, I'm finding.  Smiley  Girly girly girly!  So the ones I do have, I hope my partner's son won't mind...he's kind of coming into that age where they start to mind.  I remember how I was.  Or maybe he likes ___ and ____!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 07:42:06 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: January 16, 2010 08:07:08 AM »

Oooh, a resource list!

See, this is why you're such an awesome co-org!  (Why clean when I can be compiling a resource list???)

If you've suggested a book/website, can you please PM me with the title (and author if applicable) ... a quick summary would be great, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: January 16, 2010 08:28:53 AM »

Okay, here's the Frugal Resource List!  Please PM me to add!

Frugal Resources

FrugalALong - Craftster's very own A-Long where the goal is being frugal!

Books (links are to Amazon, so you can see the cover, etc.)

Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte - facts and suggestions for planting certain veggies, fruits, and herbs together - or for NOT putting them together.

Clean It, Fix It, Eat It by Joey Green.  Fixing everything with things you already have.

The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn - a compendium of frugal suggestions and ideas.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery - everything you've ever wanted to know about raising your own livestock, growing plants, canning, catching a pig (yes, seriously), and so much more.

The Family Kitchen Garden by Karen Liebreich, Jutta Wagner, and Annette Wendland - how to plant, grow, and cook together.  Inclues month-by month gardening activies, techniques and recipes, and an A-Z of edible plants.

Fresh Food from Small Spaces by R.J. Ruppenthal - how to grow your own food, even when you're limited on space.

Grandmother's Kitchen Wisdom by Myles H. Bader - compendium of info.  Includes tips, natural home remedies, money-saving advice, etc.

Homemade by the Reader's Digest Editors - recipes for everyday products, including lip balm, facial moisturizer, laundry soap, etc.

Joey Green's Amazing Kitchen Cures by Joey Green.  Fixing common ailments with household products.

Joey Green's Gardening Magic by Joey Green.  How to fix garden problems with household products.

Joey Green's Incredible Country Store by Joey Green.  Potions, Notions and Elixirs of the Past--and How to Make Them Today.

Joey Green's Fix-It Magic by Joey Green.  Solutions to household problems, using household products.

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee - discussion of ingredients, healthy food (and unhealthy) and how it all reacts with our bodies.

The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne & Erik Knutzen - how to be a city dweller and still be self-sufficient!  Includes container gardening, organic cleaning, food preservation, solar energy, and more.

Websites

CardSwap - Swap unwanted gift cards or buy gift cards at a discount.  (Canada only)

Coupons.Com - print coupons right from your computer!

DaveRamsey.com - financial guru for those who want advice on budgeting and getting finally fit.

down---to---earth - a blog by an Australian woman who has great ideas about budgeting, cutting back, gardening, living simply, and more!

Menstrual Cups LJ Community - livejournal community discussing the pros and cons of certain menstrual cups.

thenappynetwork.org - info on making your own cloth nappies/diapers.

PaperBackSwap.com - website where you list books you no longer want to keep and then send them to people who claim them.  In return, you get points which you can use to claim books you want. (US and territories only)

Stretcher.com - a website for all things frugal.

SwapaCD.com - website where you list CDs you no longer want to keep and then send them to people who claim them.  In return, you get points which you can use to claim CDs you want. (US and territories only)

SwapaDVD.com - website where you list DVDs you no longer want to keep and then send them to people who claim them.  In return, you get points which you can use to claim DVDs you want. (US and territories only)

SwapSity - swapping website for items or skills. (Canada only)

SwapThing - for swapping things.  (Canada only)

SwapTree - website where you can list things you have (books, CDs, DVDs, video games) that you no longer use, and can swap them for ones you want.  (US only)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010 07:45:47 PM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1183 on: January 16, 2010 08:48:51 AM »

oOOOH excited, just picked up a copy of the Grandmothers Kitchen Wisdom (10th Anniversary Edition no less!!  Tongue) from Amazon.com, cost me $1.44 and even with shipping costs and taxes to ship to Canada it still worked out cheaper than buying the same book from Amazon.ca, I hate that we get the rough end of the stick when it comes to getting a good deal.

With that and the Homemade book my husband is going to have to book a little face time with me 2 weeks in advance  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamelabd
« Reply #1184 on: January 16, 2010 08:49:39 AM »

just checking in....1 item finished...3 more to go....let the sewing begin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~pamela~*

My Artfire Shop: (crocheted & knit items and Patterns!!)
http://www.artfire.com/users/PDDesigns

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/emililybug
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #1185 on: January 16, 2010 08:52:51 AM »

Just found a recipe for Washing Up Liquid/Dish Soap, apologies if this has already been posted, not tried it yet myself, it's from http://amoregreenandsimplelife.blogspot.com

'So I thought I'd have a go. It's liquid when you make it up, but then as it cools its starts to solidify into a gloopy consistency. Washing up with it is quite a weird experience- no bubbles, no colour in the liquid, and no obvious scent, because of these differences my brain was telling me its not working, but actually the dishes came out clean! The soda crystals are there to cut through the grease, and the vinegar and tea- tree oil are both antibacterial. I only made up half the quantity to try it out this time as I wasn't sure it would work, and I don't know how long you can store it for. I've put it in an empty squash bottle and have just added a glug to the bowl of water each time. It will be interesting to see how it copes with say a baking tray after cooking a roast.But so far so good.'

2 litres boiling water

2-3 drops tea tree oil

8 grams soap flakes

8 grams soda crystals

1 tsp vinegar

Mix and put into a soap dispenser
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiebex
« Reply #1186 on: January 16, 2010 09:04:59 AM »

Craaafting at the computer. I was set back a week by a horrible illness, but I am back on track!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chile con yarne (crafts with meat) - patterns, projects, tutorials, and blog.
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #1187 on: January 16, 2010 09:07:42 AM »

Thanks for compiling a resource list. I haven't checked, but is there any chance you could put a link to the message in the first post of the thread? Then we don't have to try to find it when there are another 120 pages of chatter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leashhh
« Reply #1188 on: January 16, 2010 09:20:34 AM »

does anyone know where i can find lux flakes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaissa
« Reply #1189 on: January 16, 2010 10:15:23 AM »

wow, this thread grows so much every time I log in!  Had a crazy week but now have three days off and it's supposed to snow feet, so I'll have lots of time to hide inside and craft away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Thai-Style Chicken Noodles
How to Make Thai Fried Chicken
How to Make a Chinese Beef Noodle Dish
The Classics: Hong Thaimee Makes Laab
How to Make an Asian Shrimp and Fruit Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...