A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 103340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #720 on: January 07, 2010 10:20:19 PM »

I'm trying to get caught up on this thread but am only up to page 58 and it's bed time.  One of my fav frugal websites is The Dollar Stretcher @ www.stretcher.com  There are tons of amazing ideas for absolutely area of life on there.  Hope you enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #721 on: January 07, 2010 10:52:54 PM »

Hehe..you've been around here so much lately, I figured you'd already signed up!  So do you live in Seattle or nearby it?  I'm curious because I would always say I was from Seattle (or the Seattle area) because no one would know where Auburn was.  I did meet a few people who didn't even know where Seattle was..so not even that worked all the time.  Of course, now only people in BC or Alberta know anything about where I live when I tell them.  In the states I have to just say "northeastern BC".

I live about 30 minutes east of Seattle.  The Seattle area is nice in that being that it's a big city (sprawl is a nice word for it all running together) there are plenty of thrift stores in the area.  It's also got lots of trees so it doesn't feel like a big city, that's a huge plus for me.  I grew up in rural Arkansas, Montana (no real big cities) and Alaska (also no real big cities), so I love the trees.  It's also a very short drive to the mountains and trails and lakes.  Craigslist is HUGE here, too.  I just emailed a friend, who went and picked up a whole box of broken crayons for her son.  He's getting a clearanced out crayon maker for his birthday in two weeks and now has materials to work with.  I was once about 3 minutes too late from getting a gorgeous working grandfather clock.  That one nearly killed me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 04:11:16 PM by Disco Queen Highness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2010 11:20:13 PM »

I live in Sammamish, it's about 30 minutes east of Seattle.  The Seattle area is nice in that being that it's a big city (sprawl is a nice word for it all running together) there are plenty of thrift stores in the area.  It's also got lots of trees so it doesn't feel like a big city, that's a huge plus for me.  I grew up in rural Arkansas, Montana (no real big cities) and Alaska (also no real big cities), so I love the trees.  It's also a very short drive to the mountains and trails and lakes.  Craigslist is HUGE here, too.  I just emailed a friend, who went and picked up a whole box of broken crayons for her son.  He's getting a clearanced out crayon maker for his birthday in two weeks and now has materials to work with.  I was once about 3 minutes too late from getting a gorgeous working grandfather clock.  That one nearly killed me.

I know where Sammamish is - I have family in Sammamish. Smiley  And see, there you go - 30 min east of Seattle and I grew up 30 minutes south of Seattle but we say we're from Seattle.
And oh, how I wish we had Craigslist here.  We do have a pretty good local free online classifed, but it's still not quite like Craigslist.

And about that reference to the Supermall (just now I can't remember who said it) - I actually did not live in Auburn, but Algona..two blocks away from the Supermall - until I got married almost six years ago.  My dad just sold the house last summer and is moving to Michigan in the next year or so...I'll miss the Supermall on our trips down. Sad  It always cracked me up because the Supermall was so well known in Washington but if I said I lived in Algona there was hardly anyone who knew where it was.  So I'd just say I lived at the Supermall.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
emerri
« Reply #723 on: January 08, 2010 12:48:55 AM »

mmm yum just had a bowl full of fresh pasta with homemade butter.
the rest of the past I have in the dehydrator drying out for another day

Oh yum!!
I desperately want to get a dehydrator. saving saving saving!

if we get partnered I'll send you some dried lasagne sheets

oh I hope we are partnered, that would be fantastic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #724 on: January 08, 2010 02:55:38 AM »

ok i looked up dehydrators over here and they're about 90-100 to start, eep. Sad
have never even heard of them til this thread! will have to save my pennies and then impress all my friends! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #725 on: January 08, 2010 04:10:40 AM »

pops if you can afford 1 they are well worth the money.

My advise to anyone thinking of it, get one with fly wire trays they dry quicker and cleaner, without a plastic taste and they are easy to repair if need be.

mind you I sold some stuff and bought mine it was $400 but I had wanted one for years so I didn't mind the expense, espsiecally when I go to the fruit farm and buy bulk direct.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
donniesgirl
« Reply #726 on: January 08, 2010 05:03:24 AM »

I get a lot of my spices from the bulk section of my grocery store.  I'm not paying for the fancy bottle & it's fresher.  Although I'd love to have one of these spice holders:

I learned that when the bulk spices expire they are sent back to the spice companies and put into the expensive spice bottles.  So, my previous neighbor (the tupperware lady) told me.  It's a thinker.

That does not sound quite right to me. Undecided Was she telling you that, in a joking manner, to get you to buy more Tupperware containers maybe?

I have used top brand spices, bulk spices and no-name spices. I have had good and bad from them all. And it is easy to tell when a spice has gone bad.

McCormick Spices even has a neat little list on how if it is time to replace your spices.

http://www.mccormick.com/Spices101/HowOldSpices/KeepingItFresh.aspx

I never bought stuff from her, she was just a neighbor.  She said she asked the guy that was dumping the spices out to refill them and that's what he told her.  I always swore that if I ever saw someone there I would ask him myself.  I didn't think it sounded quite right, but who the heck knows.

I don't know if this is right or not, but I've noticed the ones in the fancy jars tend to not be as fresh, flavorful, or aromatic.  I always chalked it up to lower turnover.  Like how long do you suppose celery salt sits on the shelf at the grocery store before selling?  Do they even have expiration dates on them?  Way back when, my dad bought me a bunch of spice bottles when I got my first place & I continue to use the bottles but refresh the spices periodically with those from the bulk section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: January 08, 2010 05:12:44 AM »

I always buy my spices from the International Foods section.  You'd think things would be more expensive, being imported and all, but it's SO much cheaper.  I got some spices the other day for $1.79, versus $3.99+ in the Spice aisle.

Oh, and by the way, signups are now closed!  We have 67 participants from seven countries. Cheesy  I'll be posting partners tonight when I get home and then will start on the task of forwarding the questionnaires to everyone.  PLEASE PM me immediately if you get the wrong one. 

I've done my best with partnering people together who compliment each others 'wants' and 'can makes', as well as shipping preferences, allergies, pets, and families.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 05:15:59 AM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #728 on: January 08, 2010 05:19:14 AM »

I actually have a lot of luck with some of my spices at the dollar store. Even the dollar tree has some spices now and they have been good thus far. Home grown is always the best though.

In the winter when we make Cinnamon dough for presents I always get the Cinnamon from the Dollar General. Waaay cheaper and in HUGE containers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
amymisha
« Reply #729 on: January 08, 2010 05:20:42 AM »

I'm lucky enough to live in a REALLY diverse neighborhood, with Indian Grocers (both West Indes and India), Latino grocers, a GREAT Korean grocery store and tons of other good ethnic eats (most of which equal cheap cheap cheap!). I buy most of my spices at the Indian groceries, they are SOOOO cheap. A bag of ground cumin is about 49 cents, and it's a  bag probably two or three times the amount in those little jars at the store. I also live right around the corner from Christina's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/christinas-spice-and-specialty-foods-cambridge) a great little spice store. Not cheap, but the range of spices is dizzying. I do occasionally splurge for fresh vanilla beans.When I go down to New Orleans to visit my sister I stock up on file and stuff there, as food is SO much cheaper down there.

If my partner likes Indian food, I can share cheap yummy and bizarre spices. : )

Spices are my favorite. I have found that with the right spices you can live off rice, beans and potatoes for ages and not get bored. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Things: Gina Gershon
The Evolution of Mara Dyer Book Trailer
The Prayer of Love Book Trailer
Jayne Amelia Larson on Driving the Saudis
Michael Feinstein Shares Memories of the Gershwins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...