A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 103665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #510 on: January 04, 2010 01:16:10 PM »

Those of you who are living in the country and wanting good info on farmsteading MUST get the foxfire books. I know my little Jenna knows all about them. They are a GREAT source of country living info straight from the source. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: January 04, 2010 01:29:05 PM »

I had a reply (a long one) written out this morning and then lost it.  Grrr... It's so hard to catch up on this thread when I've been gone more than an hour or so!  

First off, yes! to eating more homemade and leftovers and using the crockpot...I sadly have only used my crockpot a few times because it seems I have a hard time finding non-meat recipes for it that appeal to my family.  I'll have to check out theat crockpot website, though.

Also, in relation to anyone who is down in the dumps financially, I'm halfway through The Total Money Makeover (Dave Ramsey) and very impressed.  I started reading it New Years Eve and I'm already convinced that it will work for us if we follow it closely.  It's so straightforward and makes so much sense and is written for those of us who don't have math brains (ME!).  I want to be safe if my husband were to lose his job or if we had an emergenecy and I want to give my kids a secure and healthy future financially.  Anyway, I would highly recommend this book - if you can get past the initial slap in the face that it gives you by debunking some of the myths you might be believing, you'll get to the good stuff and be able to really take something away from it.

Anyway, on to the actual crafting topic in relation to the above, I am planning to use my stash and if I need extras, set a very small limit (like $5) on myself for spending.  We have a thrift store here that has a free tag colour every month and I'll probably use that, too.

Oh, and I would say nuts and string cheese make great snacks - when I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, I ate pistachios (I'm allergic to almonds) and string cheese and it worked quite well.  They aren't incredibly cheap, but it's certainly smarter and cheaper than a full meal or a bag of chips when you're a little peckish!

Hehe...I bet there's been three or four replies just in the time I've been writing this. Smiley 

It was seven, actually. Cheesy  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: January 04, 2010 01:37:57 PM »

On the other hand, frugal living was why I started crafting in the first place, so this just yells "participate!" to me. What do you think? *feels unconfident*
Undecided

Oh my please don't feel shy! Have you ever seen stitch markershttp://www.ehow.com/how_2135695_beaded-stitch-markers.html or row counters ? http://www.sutherland-studios.com.au/free/rowcounter.html

Those things are wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #513 on: January 04, 2010 02:34:10 PM »

Yup, Backwoods Home is good, too.  I just personally prefer Countryside. 

I LOVE the Foxfire books.  But, then, I'm a history freak with a bent toward homesteading, so there ya go.  I check them out from the library on a regular basis.  One of my biggest GROANS is that my parents had several volumes when I was a kid, but they gave them away before I reached an age when I appreciated them and wanted them.  *sigh*

FWIW, if you like the Foxfire books (how could you not?!?!), I strongly recommend reading the first few chapters of Loretta Lynn's autobiography _Coal Miner's Daughter_ where she talks about her youth in the hollers.  Her mama was hardcore!

3 of my all time favorite books are from Reiman Publications who put out lots of magazines I enjoy like Country Woman Magazine (used to be Farm Wife News), Taste of Home, and Reminisce.  First of all, I'm a complete history geek.  And, my favorite 2 periods of American history to study are The Great Depression and the homefront efforts during WWII.  And, these books are full of first hand accounts of those periods.  Secondly, I LEARN a lot of stuff that's fully applicable to frugality today from these books.  I consider them textbooks!  Thirdly, for anyone on this list who is a mother and is struggling with scraping by with children (esp. us single moms), these books are MUST reads for fortification and inspiration.  These books help stiffen your backbone when you are feeling wobbly.  I LOVE these books.

_Tough Time, Strong Women_

and 2 books about The Great Depression:
_When the Banks Closed, We Opened Our Hearts_
and
_We Had Everything But Money_

Over time, I had interlibrary loaned all 3 and loved them so much that I had to find cheap, used copies online to order.  It took a while, but now I am soooo grateful to have all 3!  These are MUST READS for anyone on this thread!  *gets all warm and fuzzy just thinking about these books*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: January 04, 2010 03:11:07 PM »

I'm going to the library on Wednesday after work (going for gardening books and cook books), so I'll look for those books, Aiki! Smiley  I'm not raising anybody (except my bunnies), but I love those periods in history too and could always use some inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

« Reply #515 on: January 04, 2010 03:22:19 PM »

I get several emails from different publishing companies.  I saw this one and thought to pass it on to this group. its a free download of Start over finish rich. One page says 1/04/10 and another one says 01/05/10 as the date of the free DL. 

http://broadway-books.crownpublishing.com/2010/01/04/free-download-david-bachs-start-over-finish-rich/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #516 on: January 04, 2010 03:40:50 PM »

kaz814 -  If your library doesn't have those 3 books, by all means INTERLIBRARY LOAN.  So worth it.

I can't tell y'all how much this thread is meaning to me.  Kindred spirits!  Since this swap got to hoppin, I have actually caught myself 3 or 4 times and consciously made a frugal choice over an easier, stupider one because of bits and pieces I had gleaned from you ladies and your awesome vibe. 

I hope this turns into one of those swaps that has round after round after round.

I just got my partner in the Monthly Odd Holidays swap for Feb., and I'm thrilled because she a frugal minded recon/recycle, stash busting chic!  Yeah!

*sigh*  Part of my winter doldrums is that there're no yard sales. Sad   I already have 2 boxes full for when my friends and I have our annual group spring yard sale.

I'm dying 10,000 deaths reading y'all's crockpot posts.  I had a rockin awesome crockpot, but I donated it to the local battered women's shelter (they help women set up new households when they move from the shelter) when I was packing house to move to get married last summer.  Didn't get married.  Didn't move.  And, now I'm really missing some things I gave away (big rug from living room floor, wooden rocking chair, crockpot).  Sad  Oh well, at least I know they have gone to a good cause.  Sure wish I had my crockpot back, though!

Freecycle.  That's a long story around here.  We used to have a really active, thriving local Freecycle group, but it got split and destroyed by some evil bitches who wanted to run the show according to their own rules.  Seriously evil bitches.  Like, the state Freecycle coordinator had to intervene.  Anyway, there's a small, barely active Freecycle group that kinda sorta halfway resurrected but not well.  The problem is that it isn't really "local".  We are very rural, and the "local" group serves about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive radius.  Well, I don't have the gas money for that!  There's a woman in a neighboring town about 15 miles away who allows her carport for drop offs and pick ups of stuff moving from far away places, but I still don't have the gas money for that extra driving.  And, you have to wait sometimes a month or more for someone from the right town to be coming this way with all sorts of deliveries from freecyclers in her town and to pick up stuff I've offered.  If I'm cleaning out, I don't want piles sitting and waiting a month, ya know?  And, there are people who don't drop off and pick up like they should or who take things that aren't there's in group dropoffs.  I gave up even trying after bending over backwards to make meetups to hand over stuff only to be stood up time and time again without so much as an email.  So, anyway, Freecycle is a wonderful thing, and I'd be very active in it if I lived in the city, but it sucks here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: January 04, 2010 04:34:57 PM »

my heat is working again.. Grin... tried to turn it on yesterday.. (first time in 5 plus years, South Fla. resident)..... highs in the low 50's, which isnt bad when its only for a couple days... but we are getting a good long week or so of this weather.... I had to give in.....I feel kinda bad complaining about 50's when there are some of you out there in sub zero.......

I did however make some really yummy 'FRIGERATOR SOUP' this weekend..(stove on = warmer house)........ that is I opened up the frige and what ever was in there went into my soup.... tomatoes, carrotts, celery, tofu, beans.... and a whole bunch of spices that I picked out of the pantry with my eyes closed.........then I had to throw in some brown rice too....... I was really impressed....its way yummy...... and I have enough for the week.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emerri
« Reply #518 on: January 04, 2010 04:52:08 PM »

Lilli Pilli

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalegillard/340108900/

One of our ignored native fruits.

You are so right! My friend had hundreds falling on her veranda every day for the past week and she was just sweeping them off - she had no idea they could be eaten  Tongue . My jam is yummy! quite sweet with a hint of tartness in the aftertaste. Such a nice pink colour also.

I love those row counter bracelets, I am always loosing track of where I am up to in my knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flower
« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2010 05:15:11 PM »

On a side note I have a question for all you creative gals with regards to snack foods. Or moreso healthy-use-what-you-have snacks. I almost always get a bit hungry in the middle of the day but don't EVER know what to snack on. I'll either end up defaulting to junk (which I hate) or not eating anything at all (which makes me a million times more hungry when dinner rolls around) I just didn't know if you guys had any good suggestions. I already do the veggie sticks but just looking for something else.

My favorite semi-healthy, semi-frugal snack is Quaker Oatmeal Squares.  They come in cinnamon and brown sugar flavors, have a significant crunch, are a little sweet, and very filling.  It keeps me away from the vending machine!

I LOVE the Foxfire books. 

I love those books too!!!  I've never met another person (outside of my family) who has ever heard of them.  They are AWESOME!!!!  I could read, and read, and read, and read them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Beeswax in Your Hair
How to Get Hair Like a Model
How to Do Retro Hairstyles
How to Do a Faux Hawk Hairstyle
How to Manage Wet Hair After a Summer Swim
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...