A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 93383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: January 04, 2010 09:28:06 AM »

Okay this is a stupid question, but those of you who are using antennas (antennae?) ... how does that work with the whole 'switch to digital' thing that's happening?  For the first few weeks at my condo, I didn't have cable and could get NOTHING using the internal antenna so I'm curious if I get rid of cable (most of my shows I can see online, I think) if it would really eliminate all tv watching.  (My guess it would, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing really!)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #491 on: January 04, 2010 09:37:11 AM »

Basically all the digital antennae does is convert the signal to something your tv can read (assuming you have an older one that doesn't have digital).  The picture is so very much clearer, but at the same time it won't show anything if there's static.   I hope you can understand what I mean there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: January 04, 2010 09:38:51 AM »

Ooh, gotcha. 

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liralen

"What a crazy random happenstance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: January 04, 2010 09:48:32 AM »

Favorite cheap easy dinner at our house, Crock pot, chicken thighs, can of green beans, can of mushroom soup (or homemade cause if you make soup in large quantities and then freeze or can it, it is cheaper and better for you) and some new potatoes. Throw them all in the pot in the morning, very unceremoniously and walk away. Come home to a yummy filling dinner that last for two nights easy. Smiley
I am all about the cheap eats.

Love this idea.  I have no time to cook on a couple nights and the crock pot is my new best friend, if I can find new ideas to throw in it.

The high here yesterday was -2.  Today the high says it'll be 7, low -12, with a windchill of -30.  Brr.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the madness."  -- Allen Ginsberg

http://musedcreations.blogspot.com
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: January 04, 2010 09:53:35 AM »

Another good (easy) crockpot recipe ... put frozen chicken (I used breasts, but any would work, I think!), a packet of taco seasoning and a jar of salsa or a can of tomatoes in the crockpot.  Let cook 6 hours on low, 4 hours on high.  Remove chicken, stir in some sour cream (I forget the exact amount, but I usually make the color of the sauce a brightish orange with it).  Serve sauce over chicken.  Very tasty, and if you get a good price on the chicken, pretty frugal. 

Good reheated, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: January 04, 2010 09:55:13 AM »

Look up http://cookforgood.com If you like what you read, email me. I have an extra copy of the basic ebook I could share. I only have one copy to share (it's a PDF but, the author worked hard to write it and I don't want to rip her off by distributing it for free all over) and I've been saving it for the right person. It sounds like it could help you out a lot. So, look at the website, and if it looks like an idea you could get in to, PM me. :-)

The rest of you, check it out too. It's an interesting cooking system that we use every few months. Lots of beans, all vegetarian (but easy to add in a bit of meat here and there if you have it), basic stuff. But it uses planned leftovers, cooking in large batches, crockpot to save energy, etc.

Thank you so much for the link!  I was in dire need of bean recipes, so this hits the spot, so to speak. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsayrose
« Reply #496 on: January 04, 2010 09:55:46 AM »

I love love love reading this thread. I've already been turned on to a ton of great books/magazines/websites just from reading here that I wouldn't have realized otherwise! I'm fortunate to be one of those people who has a steady heater. Although if it were just my boyfriend and I living here we would probably have the heat significantly lower (joy of roommates) Fortunately for me it's been surprisingly 'warm' lately. It's been steady in the teens and normally we get down below zero quite a bit. This past weekend we got a significant snow storm that totalled 33(!!) inches. It really is beautiful but such a pain!

On a side note I have a question for all you creative gals with regards to snack foods. Or moreso healthy-use-what-you-have snacks. I almost always get a bit hungry in the middle of the day but don't EVER know what to snack on. I'll either end up defaulting to junk (which I hate) or not eating anything at all (which makes me a million times more hungry when dinner rolls around) I just didn't know if you guys had any good suggestions. I already do the veggie sticks but just looking for something else.

(btw two new posts were made just while I was typing this Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2010 10:17:18 AM »

How about Houmus (sp?) to dip your veggy sticks in, homemade it's pretty frugal and you can throw in some sun dried tomatoes for extra colour and taste, it also helps fill you up too. Also a handful of Almonds to snack on is healthy as they contain Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids (Mufa's) which help your body to burn fat.

Or sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, you can season them yourself for a bit more flavour, or how about popcorn made yourself on the stove, skip the butter if you're trying to shift that xmas bulge.

Sound good? hmmm making myself hungry!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 10:19:07 AM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2010 10:49:49 AM »

My mom works at a daycare and once in a while the owner will allow her to order some hamburger when the daycare is placing an order. Of course my mom has to pay for the meat, but usually gets it for around a $1.00 a pound.  If you are close to your daycare provider or know someone that works in a daycare,,   maybe you could check to see if your daycare provider could do this for you also?  it may be against the rules for the food purchasing, or licensing, but heck its worth a shot.

I would love to join a coop but don't know how to find one in my area. 

Also I belong to free cycle.  its a great way to give away items you no longer need and to get some good stuff. I just got a 6.5 quart crockpot and a little tiny crockpot from free cycle. I love my crockpots now I have a spare and one for those little dips or what nots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #499 on: January 04, 2010 10:59:07 AM »

I think someone may have already mentioned this site, but it's worth bringing back up!!  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/  There are some really nice, cheap ideas there!  I also have a slow cooker cook book that is made up mostly of cheap recipes.  If I can remember to look, I'll get the title and author to post  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Kennedy on Places That Inspired His Novels
Douglas Kennedy on His Writing Themes
Olympic Medalist Amanda Beard on Her Memoir
Learn How to Draw Neil Flambé
Amanda Beard on How Swimming Saved Her from Depression
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...