A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 96405 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2010 04:16:25 AM »

Steaks?.. Embarrassed Hm I'd perfer just seeing them jumping around (not that that happens around here except for in the zoo  Cool) but ok, I'm veggie  Tongue

over here they are culled as pests.

I much prefer the idea of only taking enough to eat, but in some parts of the country they are a noxious pest apparently.....

I've never heard of Kangaroo steaks before.  Hmmm....taste like chicken? 

I'm a pretty adventurous eater.  If I ever get to AU, I'll have to try it.

have a look round they export it to a lot of different countries.
Tastes like a stronger version of beef really, a bit tougher but still nice, mind you wild caught is much nicer than farm breed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Craftrica

I love being out in the wild!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2010 05:40:07 AM »

What on earth is a lily pilly? Sounds really interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do not go where the path might lead - go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: January 04, 2010 05:49:31 AM »

Steaks?.. Embarrassed Hm I'd perfer just seeing them jumping around (not that that happens around here except for in the zoo  Cool) but ok, I'm veggie  Tongue

over here they are culled as pests.

I much prefer the idea of only taking enough to eat, but in some parts of the country they are a noxious pest apparently.....

I've never heard of Kangaroo steaks before.  Hmmm....taste like chicken? 

I'm a pretty adventurous eater.  If I ever get to AU, I'll have to try it.

have a look round they export it to a lot of different countries.
Tastes like a stronger version of beef really, a bit tougher but still nice, mind you wild caught is much nicer than farm breed.

When I visited Australia a few years ago, I had kangaroo - pretty tasty.  A bit like beef, but with more moisture and a slightly different texture.  Of course, then we went to a petting zoo and I pet some.  Ahh, life's little inconsistencies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #483 on: January 04, 2010 06:26:37 AM »

Lilli Pilli

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalegillard/340108900/

One of our ignored native fruits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #484 on: January 04, 2010 06:31:17 AM »

I just discovered that "kangaroo steak" conversation is one thing I can't handle in the morning.

Of course, I'm such a night owl, I can't handle much of anything in the morning.  Wink

OK, so it's the small victories that'll strengthen us in this whole frugal thing.  Mine is that I'm proud that I've been making much more efficient use of leftovers and odd-bits recently.  It sometimes makes for some peculiar meals, but they have all tasted good and have helped cut my food budget noticeably.  Plus, this is helping discipline me out of the "convenience" of fast food.  Tonight will be, for each me and kiddo, a helping of leftover spaghetti, a large serving of great northern beans (soaked and boiled this weekend, more servings in the freezer for later), and a grilled cheese sandwich (although, I may opt for garlic bread).  The bonus prize on this one is that it is a nice, warm, comfort food meal on a bitterly cold night.

Tomorrow night will be boiled eggs, rice with teriyaki sauce and chunked pineapple, and green beans.

Wed. night will be bacon, great northern beans, and potatoes au gratin from a mix that I got for free in the mail from a freebie website.

My son eats breakfast and lunch at school (yes, we are poor enough for the free lunch program since the divorce.  *sigh*) (He's in a school out in the county where you have to qualify for the program.  The school system in the city limits is 100% free breakfast/lunch.  That's how poor a town I live in.  The city schools reached such a high percentage of poverty, that they crossed the threshold to qualify to be totally free food.)  The breakfast/lunch program is a HUGE help.  My breakfasts and lunches (I rarely eat both per day.  I know breakfast is important and all, but most mornings I wake up with a tummy ache from so much stomach acid from insomnia, nightmares, and stress) are pretty much just grazing in the kitchen from whatever there's only one serving of left.  It's so cold today that I'll probably go for comfort food at lunch and have a big bowl of oatmeal and some leftover curried lentils from the batch I fixed for myself on Sat. when my son was at his dad's.  I've got one potato left in the kitchen that I might boil up.  Mmmmmm.  Buttery boiled potato chunks.  Mmmmmmm.

Point being, I've got $3 in my wallet to get through till Thurs., and that's gonna have to go into the gas tank of the car.  So, I'm really working the pantry creativity (which is NOT my normal style, I'm a go-the-4-blocks-to-Kroger to get what I need to make what I want type), and I'm kinda proud of me for pulling it off with a bit of flare. Wink  I've been really working on this in recent weeks, and I'm already finding that exercising this new frugal skill has influenced my grocery shopping list each week.  I'm buying with an eye to a more efficient menu.

I know this sort of thing is a no brainer to most of y'all, but I've fallen into some bad fastfood and inefficient cooking habits in recent years because it just didn't seem worth the effort with only 2 people in the house and one of them being gone 2 days out of every week. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 06:34:38 AM by Aikibookworm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: January 04, 2010 08:05:31 AM »

did I see someone a few pages back say they don't have a heater in their house? *sigh* that is such a beautiful foreign concept for me. On New Years day we had a high of -14, and today its warming up, we're supposed to have a high of 11. With that kind of cold we have to pretty much keep our heater on 75 all the time just to have it be 72 in the house. Tons of blankets, sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc. My craft area is in the basement, and there is only a heater vent in the guest room in the basement, so I'm always have a hat, and fingerless gloves or wrist warmers are a must when I'm down there.
Even right now I'm at work, with a blanket on my lap, and a space heater pointed at me.
One day I will see the sun again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #486 on: January 04, 2010 08:21:17 AM »

I've decided my partner NEEDS to send me some wrist warmers and some slippers/socks/something to keep my feet warm. We're having an abnormally cold winter in north Texas and I'm cold! We have a woodstove in the house since our furnace is a forced air sort of thingie and doesn't work efficiently below freezing (um, duh.. but works well for a/c) but my office & craft room are the furthest from it so it takes all day to just get about 60 degrees.

We're doing an abnormal thing in the quest for being more frugal (well, abnormal around here at least). We're canceling our satellite service. We're under contract but even with paying cancellation fees, we'll still save money over the next year (quite a bit actually). My husbqand put up a TV antennae this weekend on the roof and we get about 10 channels. So, between that, the library, DVDs on clearance at Half Price books, SwapADVD.com and watching some shows online we'll have more than enough to keep us busy if we feel the need to watch tv.

We are incredibly blessed in that we don't HAVE to cut back. But we do so we can save as much money as possible. We've had too many friends in recent years who have lost jobs and then had to spend retirement savings or run up giant debt just to live. If my husband loses his job, we'll be okay for awhile, and we'll already know how to cut back - we won't be learning it all fresh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #487 on: January 04, 2010 08:26:08 AM »

OK, so it's the small victories that'll strengthen us in this whole frugal thing.  Mine is that I'm proud that I've been making much more efficient use of leftovers and odd-bits recently.  

Look up http://cookforgood.com If you like what you read, email me. I have an extra copy of the basic ebook I could share. I only have one copy to share (it's a PDF but, the author worked hard to write it and I don't want to rip her off by distributing it for free all over) and I've been saving it for the right person. It sounds like it could help you out a lot. So, look at the website, and if it looks like an idea you could get in to, PM me. :-)

The rest of you, check it out too. It's an interesting cooking system that we use every few months. Lots of beans, all vegetarian (but easy to add in a bit of meat here and there if you have it), basic stuff. But it uses planned leftovers, cooking in large batches, crockpot to save energy, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #488 on: January 04, 2010 08:33:37 AM »

Hello All not in the swap but was invited to stalk by one of my favorite craftster buddies. For frugal living never underestimate the power of your freezer. Also to save on containers and space embrace muffin tins.
Chili is pretty cheap to make in large quantities as is good spaghetti sauce. SO make those on the weekends in large batches then freeze left overs a bit at a time in muffin tins. Once they are frozen then switch to a container or wrap in tin foil, that way you can take out single servings as you need them.
Ice cube trays for broth is a good idea too. Then you can use the broth to cook potatoes to give them more of a flavor.
Favorite cheap easy dinner at our house, Crock pot, chicken thighs, can of green beans, can of mushroom soup (or homemade cause if you make soup in large quantities and then freeze or can it, it is cheaper and better for you) and some new potatoes. Throw them all in the pot in the morning, very unceremoniously and walk away. Come home to a yummy filling dinner that last for two nights easy. Smiley
I am all about the cheap eats.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:37:05 AM by Tero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2010 09:06:12 AM »

On New Years day we had a high of -14, and today its warming up, we're supposed to have a high of 11. With that kind of cold we have to pretty much keep our heater on 75 all the time just to have it be 72 in the house.

No no no no no no no!!  I would just curl up and die if I had to deal with that!  Cheesy  I guess I'll just not whine about how cold I am anymore! LOL!!

We're doing an abnormal thing in the quest for being more frugal (well, abnormal around here at least). We're canceling our satellite service. We're under contract but even with paying cancellation fees, we'll still save money over the next year (quite a bit actually). My husband put up a TV antennae this weekend on the roof and we get about 10 channels. So, between that, the library, DVDs on clearance at Half Price books, SwapADVD.com and watching some shows online we'll have more than enough to keep us busy if we feel the need to watch tv.

When we moved out to the country we decided not to go with satellite.  We started out with the plain antennae and then switched to digital when we had to.  I wish we had started out with the digital one to begin with... we get soooo many channels!  FREE!!

I also saw someone ask about Mother Earth News a couple pages back.... I am in love with them!!  It's definitely not all about gardening.  They pretty much have any information you need to live off of the land from how to buy seeds, how to grow food (there's not a list or anything they give you per issue, they'll highlight things each month) making compost, solar power, how to build green, raising chickens/animals, etc!!  You should really, really pick up an issue sometime!!  You may not find it on just any rack, but my books-a-million has them, so I'd look there.   Wink

Hey Tero!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Do You Recognize These Art Inspired Tattoos?
Art of VIBE: Do Lab Designer Josh Flemming Is Taking Art to New Heights
The Flow of Contemporary Art Thought
3 Doodler Printer Hands-on
Costume Designer Ruth Carter LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...