A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 92305 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2009 12:59:44 PM »

herbs kit / veggie kit sounds like a super idea, as does the snuggly blanket instead of heating! (we do that too!)
i'm so keen for this swap! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2009 01:39:14 PM »

I'm on the train for seven hours and I come back to another page and a half!  Smiley  You guys rock!

Smiley

I also thought of some sort of exercise kit for the crafty ... yoga mat, some sort of dumbbells, etc, in lieu of a gym membership!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 01:40:31 PM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2009 01:41:10 PM »

Herb gardening and container gardening stuff features prominently on my wishlist for this swap in my questionnaire!  Wink

The thing I'm drawn to about sewing menstrual pads is that the size is customizable.  I am tall and very overweight.  Scrawny, short chicks pads are never long enough front to back for me.  

I'm wondering what opinions people on this thread have about Castille soap like Dr. Bronner's.

Ugh.  With the cold wind and the fronts moving through, I sure wish I had those facial sinus pain sized rice hot/cold packs right now!  Tongue  Whoever ends up being my partner, please move those up way high on my wishlist!  Wink

One thrifty thing I am constantly engaged in on craftster is telling swap partners that I always need any and all denim scraps.  I tell them that's a great freebie they could include as an item.  I just got bunches in Christmas swaps!  Yeah!  It's thrifty for my swap partner to give and thrifty for me to have on hand for denim patchwork sewing.  I squeal with appreciation when I open a swap box and find denim scraps used for cushioning.  

One of my happy, thrifty things in real life in interlibrary loan.  I live in an intellectually devoid wasteland of rednecks and gangsta wannabes in a s***hole town that is the puss squirted out of a zit on satan's butt.  Interlibrary loan is my way of bringing the outside world home 2 weeks at a time.  My library doesn't charge.  Two places that I lived in the past charged 25cents a book, but that's reasonable for the resource access.  I turn in interlibrary loan request slips 6-10 a time.  I get everything from alternative craft books to out of print history books to espionage.  I've also gotten my son hooked on using interlibrary loan.  He knows if there's a book we request that we like/need/use enough, I'll put it on our "wait till we find a really cheap used copy to order" list.  For example, one of this winter's interlibrary loans will be in his Easter basket this spring.  For the record, I try not to abuse my impoverished local library.  I've donated dozens of books to the library (I can run my hand along the shelves in the religion section and mutter, "from me, from me, from me, from me..."), and I do volunteer literacy/ESL tutoring.

I'm in a frugal muddle right now in that I really, REALLY need to sew draft stoppers for some of the windows in my drafty, old little rental house.  But, I can't seem to bring myself to "waste" rice or dried beans that could be food.  (I don't have any access to playground sand to use.)  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2009 01:50:53 PM »

Can you put fabric scraps/rocks/marbles/other things in the draft stoppers? I need to make one of those, my mom is using a wadded up towel because her bathroom lets so much cold into her bedroom!

I've never used Dr Bronner's castile but I hear a lot of people like it. Of course it's cheaper for me to make my own lol. Some companies/people just throw the word castile around, it should mean/used to mean 100% olive oil soap, but nowadays it seems to be a catch-all phrase for any soap with a majority of olive oil or just any olive oil in it! I still think castile should mean 100% olive oil and that's what I mean when I say castile Smiley

Yes, the library is a beautiful thing! I'm lucky to live in a good sized city with an amazing library system, I can request any book from any library in the system to be sent to my library of choice.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 01:51:11 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2009 01:57:24 PM »

I love Dr Bonner's castile soap! I use it for everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
donniesgirl
« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2009 01:59:48 PM »

One of the things on my wishlist for this swap in my questionnaire was thick, fluffy, warm socks (not wool).  Previous damage makes it hard (pretty much impossible) for me to keep my toes warm in the winter (circulatory damage).  One of my frugal needs is to keep heating/cooling bills down.  Knitted/crocheted thick, fluffy, funny striped socks or tiedyed store bought thick cotton socks would be practical luxury for me.  I'm wondering if this would suit others, too.

This reminds me of something Ive been toying with making draft dodgers!  You know those long tubes that block drafts under your doorways.  The ones Ive seen are generally country & Im more of a marimekko kinda girl.  Wink  My Crate & Barrel outlet has fabric remnants they sell for 99 cents a pound I should totally make a few...Or I would love a couple of rag rugs for my master bathroom - it's tile & right over the garage & freezing in the winter.

Oh, man, I'd love something to relive sinus pain right now.

I swear by the sinus rinse kit you can get at CVS.  And Zyrtec.  Smiley  Never had allergies til I moved to Texas

I think a blanket made from scraps or yarn leftovers can be really beautiful with all the different colours/patterns!

And when we're talking frugal...why not a set to grow your own veggies/herbs (that are very pricy usually in the biological shop/veggie shop) in your own living room/kitchen?

A great project for patchwork.  Smiley  And herb markers are easy to make with dry cleaning hangers & polymer clay.

One of my happy, thrifty things in real life in interlibrary loan.  I live in an intellectually devoid wasteland of rednecks and gangsta wannabes in a s***hole town that is the puss squirted out of a zit on satan's butt. 

OMG where do you live???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2009 02:13:34 PM »

Can someone explain the wool dryer balls to me?

Hmm, soap and oil free cleanser? Not sure about that lol. Maybe a nice clay? It wouldn't really be cleansing though. Have you tried castile soap? Or something with jojoba oil, that is not really an oil, it is a wax that closely mimics skin's naturally made sebum. Often times people that seem to have problems with soap really have problems with some of the ingredients in commercial "soap" which is usually synthetic detergent (syndet) bars. Anything called a beauty bar, cleansing bar, etc, that omits the actual word soap is going to be something synthetic that isn't actually soap. I like real soap without any surfectants, mineral oil/other petroleum products. To further cut down on irritation, leave out the fragrances. Um, that's why I make my own I guess, it's hard to find pure stuff on the market  Grin

wow thank you for the great responce!! I've never tried a real homemade, fragrance free soap, that doesnt have all the crap in it. Maybe that is my problem, all the addatives.

I have no idea how to make home made soap, I'd love to learn sometime, but just reading instructions doesnt do it for me I have to learn with someone so if I have questions and stuff 5hey can be answered on the spot, you know? Maybe a video would be good, a very detailed one. Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
lady4feet
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2009 02:28:15 PM »

Good lord you guys are chatty! I love everyones ideas. I have a few things I've been wanting to make that fall into the frugal catagory so when I saw this swap I decided to jump on it.

I finally went to hancocks and bought some PUL so my partners stuff will probably incorporate the use of it some how. That way when I'm sewing mine I can just sew some up for her too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2009 02:33:21 PM »

We have such hard water here that it stains bathtubs and sinks.  I've been hoping for a CHEAP detergent option, homemade or otherwise, that'll work better in hard water. 

not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but have you tried pumice? My mom uses it on all the sinks, tubs, and toilets and they sparkle like new!

And a nice soft blanky me and my BF can sit under while watching Dr. Who in stead of increasing the heating at night (and it's much cosier... Tongue)

I could do a patchwork blankie from wool sweaters. I've been trying to find enough cashmere sweaters to do that!

I'm in a frugal muddle right now in that I really, REALLY need to sew draft stoppers for some of the windows in my drafty, old little rental house.  But, I can't seem to bring myself to "waste" rice or dried beans that could be food.  (I don't have any access to playground sand to use.)  

I've heard it's not good to use rice or beans, as they can attract rodents. I HAVE heard that you could reuse plastic bags for this purpose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2009 02:59:16 PM »

I'm also interested in breast pads, although I do like them really thin so they don't show through my shirts all the time.  That's why I've ended up using gerber with all my kids.  But hey, I'm saving a FORTUNE just by breastfeeding and skipping the formula, so I guess it isn't so bad.

I'm a breastfeeding Mum using her own washable nursing pads which I love, home made ones seem bulkier at first but I wore mine around the house until they'd washed and become thinner looking and now it's all I use. I would totally be up for making some more for my swap partner (if needed!) I used scraps of Pink Power ranger fleece fabric to give me special supermum powers for days when I feel like my life force is being drained  Grin

I also have denim scraps to whoever wanted them, and multicoloured leather scraps I can't bear to part with until I find a good use/home for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Delay Aging by Delicately Removing Eye Makeup
Silk, Your Best Friend for Beauty Sleep
How to Do Turquoise Eye Makeup
The Best Hair Removal Techniques
Beauty Blog We Love: Martinis And Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...