A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 103801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2009 07:09:40 PM »

How does one make plarn?  And what, exactly, is it?  My guess is plastic yarn ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ariethine
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2009 07:36:13 PM »

I'm curious as well.... that was my guess too.  Tongue  like, out of plastic bags or something???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ariethine
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2009 07:37:30 PM »

Yup yup, just looked it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2009 07:44:21 PM »

I'm personally hoping for reclaimed cotton yarn, but the plarn is a good idea to add to the list. I keep looking at said list and thinking, "Hmmm...I want that...and that...oh, and that would be useful too.." Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2009 08:16:15 PM »

I'm personally hoping for reclaimed cotton yarn, but the plarn is a good idea to add to the list. I keep looking at said list and thinking, "Hmmm...I want that...and that...oh, and that would be useful too.." Smiley

Ha!  Yeah, I'm the same way.  So many awesome ideas! 

I'm willing to take addendum to questionnaires, and of course, you can just let your partner know when you are partnered!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009 08:35:29 PM »

I think my biggest challenge will be remembering I am crafting something to help someone BE frugal, not just making a frugal craft. Does that make sense?

I'm interested in finding out how to reclaim yarn from a sweater if I get paired with a yarnie type. I think that would be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009 08:37:51 PM »

I think my biggest challenge will be remembering I am crafting something to help someone BE frugal, not just making a frugal craft. Does that make sense?

I'm interested in finding out how to reclaim yarn from a sweater if I get paired with a yarnie type. I think that would be cool.

Ask and ye shall receive!  Smiley - http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html  I'm currently using this tutorial to reclaim wool from a very ugly brown Britches sweater ... great wool that will (hopefully) become wool dryer balls or possibly a scarf with pretty embellishments.  Maybe both!  So far, so good, though I'm wondering what, exactly, I wash the yarn in ... Woolite, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2009 08:43:46 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive!  Smiley - http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html  I'm currently using this tutorial to reclaim wool from a very ugly brown Britches sweater ... great wool that will (hopefully) become wool dryer balls or possibly a scarf with pretty embellishments.  Maybe both!  So far, so good, though I'm wondering what, exactly, I wash the yarn in ... Woolite, maybe?
I've always heard that is the best tut on the web for reclaiming sweater yarn.

More about plarn if anyone is interested:
This is my first time making plarn, and its super easy!  Ive read it makes an excellent entryway rug because its super sturdy and you can scrap your boots on it. Apparantly it can be put in the washer, but not the dryer(it might melt!)
Heres a tut on how to make plarn(how do I hyperlink) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTm2V4ssvY
You could probably use it for anything you normally crochet, but Plarn is supposed to be really good for lots of other things too like:
Reusable shopping bags
Soap dishes
Coasters
Funky jewelry
Im addicted to crochet the past few months, and even though my yarn stash is huge, Ive been buying a lot of yarn too. In the new year Im going to be crocheting a lot from t-shirts, reclaimed fabric, and plarn to save money(and feed my habit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2009 08:52:27 PM »

I've always heard that is the best tut on the web for reclaiming sweater yarn.

More about plarn if anyone is interested:
This is my first time making plarn, and its super easy!  Ive read it makes an excellent entryway rug because its super sturdy and you can scrap your boots on it. Apparantly it can be put in the washer, but not the dryer(it might melt!)
Heres a tut on how to make plarn(how do I hyperlink) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTm2V4ssvY
You could probably use it for anything you normally crochet, but Plarn is supposed to be really good for lots of other things too like:
Reusable shopping bags
Soap dishes
Coasters
Funky jewelry
Im addicted to crochet the past few months, and even though my yarn stash is huge, Ive been buying a lot of yarn too. In the new year Im going to be crocheting a lot from t-shirts, reclaimed fabric, and plarn to save money(and feed my habit!

I am eying my stash of plastic bags as we speak!  Thanks so much for the link, pixieval! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
guacaMolly
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2009 09:00:45 PM »

I would love a kit/recipes on making household cleaners! I've wanted to replace my Comet, Endust, and 409 for a long time, but don't really know how to get started. Weak, I know,  Undecided

I also would like a soap saver, I've only used my mom's handmade soap for the last 12 years, and as we haven't had a soapmaking day together in oh.... maybe a year and a half.... our stash is finally dwindling! Bad news.

One thing I made a ton of this holiday season is flax seed warmer bags, aka 'warmy sacks'. Really good for chronic pain and cold beds. I find when I use mine instead of going to the Motrin right away, I often don't have to take anything.

Anyway, I see tons of stuff I'd love, and getting some good ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Round Trip Between FCP and Motion
How to Run a Clip in Reverse - Final Cut Pro
Simple Keying of an IPod - Shake 4
How to Create a Shatter Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Reflections - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...