A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 87681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009 12:24:01 PM »

Smiley  I'm so happy so many people are joining.  Woot for frugality! 

I've added a list of participants' countries to the main post, just in case there are those out there who want to join but aren't sure there are people from near them. 

That book looks awesome, cjclark!  I may just have to add it to my book wishlist. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009 12:40:03 PM »

I'm guessing no one can craft me a container for the 50lb bags of flour my husband is fond of buying... would be too tricky to mail. :-P He's really into baking bread! You know, I've just thought of something else. Maybe if your partner wants to try say, eating more beans or vegetarian meals or baking bread you could make them up a little kit. We have a lot of extra bread pans, or I could look at the thrift store for one, include a few recipes and any special ingredients they need (like one bread recipe we make a lot takes potato flour and nonfat dry milk powder). Sort of a frugal skill getting started kit. Same for gardening (if you garden) you could spruce up a pot with painting or mosaic or something, include some seeds and some homemade/embellished/repurposed gloves and some plant markers. Just some random ideas. :-)

I love the idea of a frugal 'getting started' kit!  Smiley  For gardening, I'd think packets of seeds would be really cheap right now (at least in my area with 20 inches of snow on the ground!) so a gardening package might be a lot of fun.  Indoor gardening is easy and fun.  Bean sprouts, too, might be something to explore.  I know there are some sprouting kits you can buy, but it can't be all that hard to make a crafty one - sprouts are a good source of vitamins and easy to make (but omg, so expensive to buy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009 01:45:40 PM »

I keep answering myself ... I look so self-involved ...

BUT I had another idea.  A Frugal DIYer's simple home repair kit.  Could include hammer/screwdriver, nails, etc. plus instructions for simple home repairs - replacing a toilet seat or handle (which is what I had to do yesterday), caulking, tips on upkeep of appliances (vacuum underneath the fridge to get the dust so it doesn't go into the fridge thingy - no idea what it's called, replacement of air filter so things don't freeze in the middle of July all the way out to the a/c unit because the cold air has no place else to go ... why yes, I'm speaking from experience here!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009 02:07:28 PM »

Everyone has such fantastic ideas! This is gonna be a super swap - it's really cool that everyone here is kinda on the same wave length. Sometimes, I'm afraid people will think I'm cheap if they know I thrift a lot of my supplies, and reclaim fabrics or repurpose things. I AM cheap, but I also try to be conscious of my footprint.

Hey, Ninzip, how about some beaded napkin rings? Would look soooo pretty on cloth napkins.

I agree, swapping has totally pushed my creative limits. It makes me try things I'd never think of doing. Plus, I always meet the coolest people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009 02:09:10 PM »

I'm speaking from experience here!)

Oh man, if I named even half the times I could have seriously used a DIY kit or alternative (if only I'd known it existed) I'd be here all day! Besides laundry soap, maybe kits to make homemade cleaning products along with recipes for later use. Even a kit to teach crochet or knitting or another skill would go a long way. That's of course totally between partners because it takes time. I just taught myself how to knit with a pair of chopsticks, so I understand anyone's need to broaden their skill base to save a little money. Even a nifty how-to for something like homemade giftwrap could go a long way to stretching dollars. Every little bit helps. I'm loving the start-up-frugality kit idea! A herb garden comes to mind...

Speaking of cleaning solutions--Mom swears vinegar is the perfect replacement for windshield wiper fluid. Haven't tried it out personally.

Another idea just occured to me to add to the list. We have a piggy bank listed, but what about a coin purse? I used to have one of those wallets that would fit everything you'd ever want in it...except coins! I usually ended up breaking a bill unnecessarily and have change flying everywhere in my pocket or purse. A coin purse could be cute and practical.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009 02:15:22 PM by Avabrowneyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2009 02:19:44 PM »

I make crocheted coin purses from a pattern that I altered from a yen pouch. I don't remember where it was, but it was a blog. I love them. ^ ^ >> But strangely I've never made one for myself. Does anyone else do that??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009 02:22:24 PM »

But strangely I've never made one for myself. Does anyone else do that??

*Raises hand* Afghans. Purses. Hats. I give it all away. I don't have a single one for myself. I get extremely unmotivated if it's just for me. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009 02:23:06 PM by Avabrowneyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009 02:38:30 PM »

I have very few self-crafted items, too.  Dishcloths are what I've kept.  Oh and an apron (my first).  I've made several purses, bags and stuffies ... all of which found loving homes that aren't mine.

I'm loving the start-up-frugality kit idea! A herb garden comes to mind...

Speaking of cleaning solutions--Mom swears vinegar is the perfect replacement for windshield wiper fluid. Haven't tried it out personally.

Another idea just occured to me to add to the list. We have a piggy bank listed, but what about a coin purse? I used to have one of those wallets that would fit everything you'd ever want in it...except coins! I usually ended up breaking a bill unnecessarily and have change flying everywhere in my pocket or purse. A coin purse could be cute and practical.

An herb garden was what I was contemplating too, for whomever I get, if that person is open to the idea.

And vinegar is awesome for all sorts of things - I clean my bunnies' cages with it (diluted) since it's non-toxic, and I've also used a 1-1 water/vinegar solution for cleaning in the kitchen and the bath to great results!  And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the cleaning solutions in the stores (and better for me and the environment!)  And now I'm contemplating getting some of those squirt bottles and decorating them (maybe a fabric cozy to make it pretty and to make cleaning more fun?) with green cleaning solutions written on them ... is that crafty enough, do we think?  (Dollar store usually has frugally priced spray bottles, as does Home Depot.)

Off to add the new ideas to the list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009 02:41:09 PM »

Yeah, I've used white vinegar and water to scrub out accidents inside of our ferret's pen before. Cage cleaner is just WAY too expensive. If you don't dilute it enough It smells SO bad though...  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009 02:46:20 PM »

But strangely I've never made one for myself. Does anyone else do that??

All. The. Time. I've made a ton of reusable produce bags for everyone I know. I have 3. I buy WAY more than 3 types of fruits and veggies when I shop. At the farmer's market it's okay, they'll put everything in the same bag. But the grocery store people don't like it when you do that.  Grin

Okay, I did it. Sent in my questionnaire.
Yeah, I've used white vinegar and water to scrub out accidents inside of our ferret's pen before. Cage cleaner is just WAY too expensive. If you don't dilute it enough It smells SO bad though...  Tongue

Alright, this is kind of embarrassing, but here goes. At my old house, before I worked from home, my dog had a hard time holding her bladder. I would lock her in the kitchen, so that I could just clean the vinyl floor (is it any wonder I hate to mop these days?) Of course, she would pee right by the carpet, and my carpet got gross and stinky. White vinegar, dish soap, and baking soda took care of the whole shebang. I even got my deposit back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
How to Budget Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...