A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 92268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2009 05:25:06 PM »

Awesome, I think I'm gonna sign up, I really want to not sign up for any swaps unless I'm stash busting!

I would really love some reusable swiffer duster covers, and maybe some coupon containers/organizers. And maybe a cozy for a small calculator to keep in my purse so I can keep track of what's in my cart when I go grocery shopping. And probably some other organizer type things, when I'm more organized I'm more likely to use what I already have rather than buying more stuff just because I can't find something!

I need to read back through some of these pages, but I can make soap, etc, soap savers, dishwashing detergent, liquid laundry detergent kits (all the dry ingredients, you would need  large recycled containers and water and boil the ingredients together), crocheted or sewn items, mmm, not sure what else.

And I'm another crocheter who thinks knitting is impossible! lol   Grin

Cheesy  I love those ideas - I'm going to add calculator cozy to The List - what a great idea!  I've often been caught unawares when I get to the final check out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2009 05:51:49 PM »

I just signed up for this swap - my former IYP partner (stargardener) tipped me off to it.  We did a Dave Ramsey themed swap through IYP where we set a $5 max & everything else had to be made from things around the house.  Thought you all might be interested in some of the ideas:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302293.msg3536728#msg3536728

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302293.msg3533708#msg3533708

I put together two covered binders: one was the "Beans and Rice" cookbook, since Dave Ramsey is always talking about living on "beans and rice" to help pay off your debt quicker.  Smiley  The other binder was a "Christmas is a Craft" binder, with a bunch of homemade craft ideas to give as gifts.  stargardener posted some of the recipes here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310189.0

I don't suppose my partner would be interested in venison mincemeat.   Undecided  I made some & I love it, but I can't eat the whole recipe (over 128 oz) & apparently, DH doesn't like mincemeat.  He'd never had it.   Sad

And to whoever made the comment about too much cinnamon on page 2 or 3...there's never such thing as too much cinnamon!   Grin  I get a lot of my spices from the bulk section of my grocery store.  I'm not paying for the fancy bottle & it's fresher.  Although I'd love to have one of these spice holders:

http://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-Tin-Magnetic-Spice-Rack/dp/B0002TVV34
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009 05:59:32 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2009 06:09:37 PM »

I know how to knit but I just don't enjoy knitting.  I crochet and that I do enjoy. I have made plarn and made a tote bag and actually a small purse from the plarn.  The purse was made from tan bags and the print from the bags gave it a some dots of color.  It looks like straw summer bag.  My daughter knit a large plarn tote bag using garter stitch stripes alternated with stockinette stripes.  I lined all the bags with muslin.  My daughter says she was stopped a couple of times by people asking her where she got the bag.  Sometimes I've seen tee shirts in the $ stores and you could make yarn from that.  I'm sure they would make good pot holders, floor mats, and swiffer covers also.   I could crochet dish cloths or swiffer covers.  I do some sewing also.
The problem is I haven't the faintest clue as to what I might want.  I don't have a garden, I'm not into the personal care products, and don't need the cleaning products. (Due to bad back and knee problems I have someone cleaning for me and she brings her own supplies.) I like the idea of this swap, I just don't know what I would like to receive.   I have tons of magnets on my fridge, any of them hand made by me);  I have plenty of pot holders some of which I received in a swap a while ago; and I don't have a garden.  I guess I don't have enough imagination.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.wists.com/mamarose22
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009 08:51:35 PM »

Great Ramsey-esque crafts! I have the Total Money Makeover, but haven't read it yet. I'm gonna try to read it before the New Year, though. It would be nice to get my car and student loans taken care of, and also to get on a good budget.

Mamarose, I bet there are lots of things you could use that you just haven't thought of. I could never have enough reusable grocery bags or produce bags... I'm sure you wouldn't be too tough to craft for!

(And, hooray! The Santa faces are back!  Grin Cheesy Kiss)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009 09:05:31 PM »

Oooh this sounds like a great swap, runs off to send in info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guacaMolly
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2009 09:43:16 PM »

I agree the flax seed warmie sack sounds very nice. We heat our house with a wood stove. The stove is in the kitchen and the master bedroom is about as far from the kitchen as you could get. So, warming something up and putting at the foot of the bed so it's not so chilly would be nice. I get headaches a lot, but my doc has me put icepacks on my neck as it's an inflammation thing but, warmie sack for my feet would be nice. The dog gets mad when I have her jump up on the bed, get it all warm and then make her get off. :-P

That recycled yarn tutorial is cool. I think in my after Christmas shopping expeditions I'll be going to the thrift store to check the seams in some sweaters. Hmm, or I might dive into my husbands sweater drawer. You know, the one he has never opened at all in the 4 years I've known him. :-P Tons of wool sweaters. Not even his size anymore. Just hanging out. Yep, he'll never miss one or two. ;-)

Good to know the warmy sacks sound good to you guys! The flax seed bags can actually be used hot or cold, you can just pop them in the freezer for a headache.  Smiley I've actually been planning on working on some smaller sacks after Christmas designed to be cold sacks to lay over the eyes or use on the back of the neck, as I am a migraine sufferer as well as 3 good friends of mine, and I know how the cold can really help!

kaz814, too bad that your warmy sack is smelly! In my experience, the rice and corn start to smell because they are porous and collect bacteria and basicly begin to decompose over time, but the flax seeds keep a nice nutty/fresh wheat smell since their hard covering is impervious to germs. I also make them with a flannel pillowcase that can be taken off and washed-- that might help, too!

I am compiling a giant list before signing up.... I will also be very open to suggestions from my partner!

Merry Christmas everyone!  Grin

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009 09:45:16 PM by guacaMolly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zcrafter

A long, long time ago.....

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009 10:06:46 PM »

I really want to do this swap. But I've been short on funds lately, and I have two other swaps I'm considering in the same time frame.

Hmmm.....

Undecided Undecided Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2009 10:22:19 PM »

I really want to do this swap. But I've been short on funds lately, and I have two other swaps I'm considering in the same time frame.

Hmmm.....

Undecided Undecided Undecided

If you happen to live in the US, you could take advantage of the flat rate shipping available. Depending on what you craft, the items for this swap may not weigh as much as you think and you could probably even fit them in a padded envelope. This swap is all about being frugal--no one's going to diss you on packing/shipping methods Smiley and the aim is to use what you have as much as possible, so you won't be working out of pocket. Come on, join us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2009 10:37:50 PM »

I made a rice heating pack for my bf... I don't think it smells... yet... but how much do flax seeds cost??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2009 12:34:20 AM »

For those of you who knit there is a tute on here on how to make your own knitting needles. I don't remember the user who did it. Basically you take chopsticks or wooden dowels if you need a thicker/thinner size, sharpen the tips with a pencil sharpener. You can make the ends wither with baked clay or glue on large beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Eel Sauce
How to Slice Sushi Fish
How to Slice Sashimi
How to Make a Traditional Sushi Roll
Sushi Ingredients to Have on Hand
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...